You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Playful Child

Real Ghost Stories

Playful Child

 

I've had a number of odd encounters in my life. My mother's a sensitive and I think perhaps that I picked up on it myself, but I'm not sure. In any event, this is the first such encounter that I can think of, though it's the one I'm least sure about, and I'll add more in other stories later.

When I was a child, my parents would take me to stay with my grandparents every Christmas in Huntsville where they lived. These events happened when I was eight or nine, during one of those visits. One of my favourite toys at the time was a plastic He-Man sword; I would play with it almost constantly. Christmas Eve, before I went to bed, I decided to hide my toy sword under the couch in the living room so I could get it easily in the morning after opening presents. The bedroom we were staying in only had one bed, so my parents shared it and I slept in one of those metal fold-up cots, with a space between them for walking and the bedroom door near the foot of my cot. In the middle of the night, my mom woke me up yelling at me to get back into bed. I, of course, was still in bed. She swore she'd seen me standing at the foot of my cot playing with my sword. After a bit she dismissed it as a dream and we all went back to sleep.

The next morning, after opening presents, and playing with my new toys for a while, I looked under the couch for my sword. It wasn't there. I asked, and nobody knew where it was. I ended up searching the house for it, (it was my favourite toy after all), and finally found it, under the foot of my cot in the bedroom, right where my mom thought she'd seen me with it. (Of course, when I mentioned this to my mom, she thought it just proved that I had been up playing with it, when I hadn't.)

Now, I'm still not sure about this. Did someone simply find and move my toy to the bedroom and then forget when I asked the next day? Could my mother have been dreaming? My mom usually doesn't remember her dreams past when she first wakes up, but she remembered seeing a child of about my size silhouetted in the dim light from the bedroom door playing with my sword for quite some time. All I know for sure is that I didn't move that sword.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Canada

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Fobok, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Fobok (1 stories) (4 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-09-16)
zzsgranny - Actually, I'm afraid not. I think it was shortly after that that my grandparents moved to an apartment. (They couldn't afford the house any more on their pensions.) And, if I had any experiences before that, they've slipped my mind.

Ariel - Compared to my mom, I'm not very sensitive at all, so I'm not sure really. It could just be that because of the activity around her I've seen enough results. Or, it could just be I've barely started to develop it compared to her.

Darkness - I totally loved He-Man. Over a few years I think I ended up with just about every He-Man toy on the market before I outgrew my toys.:) Thanks for your idea, that's what I've come to think. At the time, I believed it was my guardian angel, since I'd been taught at school that ghosts didn't exist.

Radish - No problem.:)

Shinigami - Yep, totally possible that it was all a mistake. I just find it so weird that my mom saw that boy and then the sword was right there. It's one of the few events from my childhood that's really stayed with me.
radish54 (1 stories) (51 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-09-16)
I too will bow out of this splash all over Fobok's page after one more comment. I left him a comment/question on his Burn's Ranch story (which is an absolute all-time favorite). I hope all is well. It is to bad there isn't inter-member e-mail.
I'm Douglas, BTW...
Shinigami0 (2 stories) (203 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-09-16)
Fobok- I'm leaning towards Darkness's thought that there could have been a young child who took an interest in the toy, but there's still the possibility that you may have misplaced it. I know the feeling of having stuff go missing, though. Especially when the item is something you rarely move out of place.

Darkness and Radish- I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed that about Troyarn. I too, love his well written stories, and think his previous comments, excluding the present ones, were helpful and overall friendly. I read a comment somewhere that Zzsgranny wondered about that, too. I haven't talked to him as you probably had, but I'd hate for anyone to have a downer or something. Sorry if I seem to intrude, I just have a heart that likes to help. 😊
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-09-16)
radish54: Definitely not the same old Troyarn that's for sure am curious to know what's going on? 😕

Sorry Fobok last one I promise. 😊
radish54 (1 stories) (51 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-09-16)
Dan, I have noticed the same thing with some alarm. Sorry for the interjection into your page Fobok.
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-09-16)
Troyarn what's going on mate? You used to be a well respected poster, now every comment you leave is either bagging the author out or the site itself you don't have to comment on the stories if you don't like them. I have read all your stories and thought they where awesome. 😕

Dan
troyarn (5 stories) (479 posts)
-3
14 years ago (2010-09-15)
This is not paranormal at all. Hope you enjoy your toy. I didn't enjoy this story. Sorry. I just thought this site had real things on it.
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-09-15)
Fobok: I used to LOVE He-Man I wish I had one of those swords when I was younger or even now geez lol. Sounds as though a child that has passed also liked the sword they must have been watching you and knew very well where you hid it, smart they are hey?
Look forward to hearing more from you.

Thanks for sharing.

Dan
Ariel519 (2 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-09-15)
Fobok: When I think back on the times in that house and all the things going missing, I noticed that it was always something metal (and always something I needed that day, lol). Funny, that it was your favourite toy that was misplaced.

You mentioned that your mother was a sensitive, are you as well?

Look forward to hearing more stories from you.
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
14 years ago (2010-09-15)
Fobok: Maybe it was one of Santa's elves! 😆...No, I'm joking, of course!...This kind of thing happens quite frequently... Our ghosty friends are curious about some things that are strange to them, and that includes toys... Makes me think that this "person" has been in this house for a long time 😊...Have you had anything further happen along those lines as a child while you visited your grandparents?...My guess is yes, and we'll be hearing more stories from you!...Looking forward to it
Fobok (1 stories) (4 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-09-15)
Ariel, yeah, it's definitely startling when it happens. I've had similar things happen most of my life, but that's the only time I know for certain it wasn't just normal misplacing stuff. (Or, as certain as I can be, as I described in the story.)
Ariel519 (2 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-09-15)
I had something similar happen to me when I lived in an old log cabin.

The cabin had a large living room with huge overhead beams, and a balcony above that overlooked the room.

For weeks I had been trying to find my spare house keys, and some other random objects that I thought I had misplaced.

One day, as I was walking along the balcony, something shiny on top of one of the middle beams caught my eye. After getting up on the ladder and investigating, I found my keys and the other items!

Since I was living alone at the time and knew I hadn't put them up there myself, it was quite a startling discovery. I lived in the cabin for three years, and every month I would find missing objects on the top of that beam. I never saw or knew how they got there, but I had my suspicions since a lot of strange and unexplainable things happened in that house while I lived there.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: