You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: My Father Provoked Them

Real Ghost Stories

My Father Provoked Them

 

In these past couple of weeks, I have become a bit concerned with the things going on at my parents' house. I know this is a bit long, but I provided detail for any ideas you may have. I would really like some help. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

My parents have lived in the same house for the duration of my life. From my understanding, my parents had purchased the house from an older woman who was ill with cancer. She was very much in love with the house and took care of it extremely well. She had turned down several buyers, but just had a "good feeling" about the kind of people my parents were, and was confident they would take care of her house.

As you could have predicted, she did end up dying. Although she did not die in the house, ever since my parents have lived there, strange things have happened. They were never frequent, and never threatening. They would be small occurrences, such as only one clock in the house being set to a different time, taps randomly turning on and off, and so on. My parents were never bothered by this, and growing up there, I never noticed a thing. They were actually more comforted, especially my mother; there were times she had lost something important and actually asked the ghost for help... And it was found almost immediately afterward!

My parents did have one paranormal experience that was a bit out of the ordinary. My parents had long lights in the ceiling of the basement. One night, the lights went out; but, they did not go out all at the same time, they went out one by one in a row. They then proceeded to turn back on one by one in a row. My dad, horrified that an electrical fire could happen, called an electrician, who came to their house and concluded that there was not a thing wrong with the electrical work in the house. The electrician actually said to my dad, "It's not your wiring; it's someone else." However, it seemed to me as though these events were progressively getting worse. My dad is a bit skeptical of the paranormal, so for him to open his mouth once in a while to say something arrogant when they come across a ghost special on TV is almost always expected.

A few weeks ago, as my parents were watching a ghost special, my dad decided to shout in a not so kind and no so language appropriate way, "If there are any spirits here, just show yourselves! I am not scared of you. Bring it on!" Ever since my mother told me he did this, stranger than usual activity has been going on. As I said before, my dad is skeptical, so for him to come out and say he thinks he could have experienced something is a bit eye-brow raising.

My dad rose early for work one morning, around 3:00AM. He usually goes outside early to see if the newspaper came. He looked out the top window of the door, and claimed he saw an elderly man with a walker walking down the sidewalk. He didn't think much of it at first, what's the big deal in that? However, the man began to walk into my parent's front lawn. A few moments later, he claimed a young girl, who looked maybe as if she were in her teens, followed behind him. She, too, came into the front lawn. My dad's words were, "He let go of his walker, like he didn't need it; he grabbed the girl around the waist and they began to kiss each other... Right in front of me. I've never seen anything like it, nor have I ever seen either of those people around the neighborhood." They apparently then stopped their show and continued walking together down the street, holding hands.

I almost didn't believe him, until my mother informed me that he was so confused by this that he woke her up and had her come into the living room to see it, too. My mother said it was a bit frightening to her.

That very day, my dad went outside into their backyard to find something a bit unsettling. They own an older dog, a border collie, who is about 11 years old. My parents saw their dog COMPLETELY covered in flies, from head to toe. This was not just a few flies buzzing around the dog, either; they claimed there was hardly a bit of fur on her that wasn't matted in flies. My dad, a bit disturbed and scared, ran up to her and figured they would fly off of her by him shooing them away. The flies would not rid her; he had to literally brush them off of her. He said they had bit her fiercely, and she had been bleeding.

A few times I had witnessed in the house the shower turning on and off by itself, the faucet, etc. I, however, had never heard of anything like this happening.

The house directly next door to my parents' house is indeed very haunted. The family who lived there left because they could not handle it anymore. The woman who lived there told my mother that the spirits were a bit too violent for their liking. After they moved out and had the electricity turned off, my parents actually called the cops because all of the lights had been turned on in the basement, and all of the windows and doors were open. They thought someone had broken in! I, myself, had thought I'd seen faces in the windows, but always blew it off, thinking it was my imagination. My parents have seen the doors slam shut when there was no one behind them.

I told my dad that he needed to stop provoking whatever it was that was playing these games with him. I have done a bit of research myself, (in Indiana, we have a pretty popular haunted cemetery named Posey Chapel, where I have seen and heard things I couldn't explain.) I warned him that the more he made fun of whatever it was, or asked it to keep showing itself, that things were going to get worse. I don't think he believed me.

After I had told him this, my mom ended up telling me of something strange that happened that morning. My dad, getting up for work early again, came up the stairs as usual. My parents also own a very large black newfoundland dog who is very protective of the house, but knows his owners well and loves them. She said his bark was so ferocious and frightening when he came up the stairs that it woke her up. All of the hair was standing on the dog's back, and he was looking at my dad as if he didn't know who he was; as if he wanted to attack him!

The ghosts (if that's what it could be) are starting to progress more, now. My father came upstairs just the other day infuriated at my mother. He said to her, "I am SO SICK of you calling my name upstairs! You know I can't hear anything you're saying when I'm in the basement." My mother, confused, had no idea what he was talking about, seeing as she was not in the house when this happened.

However, my main reason for wanting to post this was because of my mother's worried call just about an hour ago. Her exact words were, "I'm starting to really get nervous. You know your dad doesn't believe in any of that stuff; but he was just downstairs about an hour ago... He set down his lighter on the dryer in the laundry room and realized he had forgotten his cigarettes. He went upstairs, and right as he got to the top, he heard a loud bang as if something had fallen over. He turned around, startled, and looked down the stairs. He swears he saw a shadow run into the backroom. He ran downstairs, and his lighter was gone. He CANNOT find it, anywhere. I am so scared; this is not like your father to get upset like this. I could see the fear in his eyes almost. I know he really witnessed something."

She then proceeded to tell me that the few days before this happened, my dad was getting ready to take a shower; he has special medicine he uses on his feet from working in construction boots, so he always has it ready next to his towels to use it right when he gets out of the shower. The first day, when he got out of the shower, it was gone. The empty packaging was still there, but the tube of medicine was gone. My dad became irritated, thinking for some reason he had forgotten it.

The same thing happened to him the next day. My dad, even angrier, shouted loud enough for my mom to hear, "ALL RIGHT, IF YOU WANT TO PLAY THESE KIND OF GAMES, I CAN PLAY THEM, TOO." He knew for a fact he made sure the new medicine was there. He then went through the garbage can in the next room, and towards the bottom of the can, there laid the new bottle of medicine.

So, there you have it. My dad is a bit spooked; more spooked than I have ever seen him. My parents have also just recently talked to the new family that has just moved in to the "haunted house" next door. They claimed they haven't heard a thing and everything is going just fine over there.

I told my mother to keep an eye out, but don't speak of what's happening in the house. I had always seen and read that you should not give recognition to something that may be toying with you in the house. I also told her if she had to call me to tell me something to at least go outside, first. I advised her to ask whatever it is there to leave in a strong but emotionless and fearless voice. My hard-headed father, however, is not that easy to convince. He just comes irritated.

My grandma (my dad's father) had just recently passed away. Although it may be a coincidence, I don't think my grandma would ever do those things to my parents.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Indiana

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, lebanese, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Halloween2013 (2 stories) (13 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-09-28)
i had a similar experience where something my house was following me. I believe that you are dealing with poltergeists, trickster spirits who like to cause trouble, and if that's the case, your father is feeding them with his anger and fear. The more he baits them the worse they will get, they may not go away, but they will calm down a little if no one is scared of them.
Loganz_sis (1 stories) (150 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-10-31)
Hi, how is the dog doing now? Sorry I had to ask as I am a dog lover...
I think I agree with you on not opening any lines of communication, but you have to do something about stopping these things especially things like the flies incident b'cause that was not a harmless one.
Anyone know the relevance of flies with regard to evil spirits... I know many people have referred to bad smell I have experienced this too (its there in my story) so wondering what is the deal with flies?
lebanese (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-10-31)
They're** imperfections, sorry, had to correct my typo, bugs me!:)
lebanese (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-10-31)
Pjod, I haven't been near my computer to check this, terribly sorry! According to my mother, she only witnessed them walking away together by the time my dad went to go wake her up. Regarding the walker, from my understanding, the older man was pushing it alongside him. Neither of my parents have seen either of those people since, and they know this neighborhood very well! 😕

Also, regarding a comment about the dog; I'm not sure if she was rolling around in anything prior to that, but I don't think she's able to do much rolling around anymore because of her old age, and she suffers from horrible hip arthritis. We can barely get her up the porch stairs sometimes, so it just seemed a bit odd to me.

I also honestly do not want to do any EVPs or recordings of any sort... Really just not my kind of thing! If my parents want to do this on their own, I would be happy to tell them who to contact or the tools to do it, but I really feel like asking a spirit or entity to speak to you is just inviting it to try and communicate with you more, which is what my mother wants to avoid. I don't want to open any lines of communication between the paranormal life and myself! 😊 We have actually taken a few pictures in the house, which I was also very reluctant to do; there are several orbs in the pictures, but it's really too hard to tell whether or not their imperfections or dust spots in the pictures because it was taken from a digital camera. We have gotten some other weird squiggles in some pictures, as well, but I also think there could be an explanation having to do with the camera with that.

I did, however, take a picture of my husband sitting on the couch inside of my parents' house one night, and in the background it looks to me as if there is a face in the window. It's pretty faint, but I'll try to post it to see if anyone else can figure out what it could be.

My parents have been telling me every so often of more and more things that have been happening, but it's completely on and off. Sometimes it's weeks of nothing, and then one day something just startles them. I'll post an update as soon as the submit story option is back! 😊
Pjod (3 stories) (978 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-10-05)
Leban...what is happening?
Still checking to see if you have responded.
Pjod (3 stories) (978 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-09-27)
leban,
hoping you will check back in and post an update. Would love to hear more detail about the morning encounter your father had with the old man/walker and the young woman.
Pjod (3 stories) (978 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-09-22)
I have a question. Did your father say what happened to the walker, after the old man starting walking away, hand in hand with the girl? How much of this did your mom witness? Any other details about this incident? I've been thinking about this, and actually told my wife this story at the dinner table last night. We'd love to get more details about this encounter.
Pjod (3 stories) (978 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-09-21)
Your father sounds a lot like my own. I don't get people, who think it impossible for a haunting, or spirit to exist. Where is it these skeptics believe the energy from a human body goes off to after death? It is one thing to be a quiet skeptic, but to voice your opinion in such a negative fashion is certainly an invitation. Good luck with this, and I agree an apology, even if it comes from you and mom, may go a long way in calming the waters in this home.
Also, try and keep us posted on this, and the new neighbors next door.
aussiedaz (19 stories) (1565 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-09-21)
I think there is a combination of experiences going on here, that are causing you all a little unnecessary anxiety and got you all on the back foot jumping at shadows... Yes I believe you have some visitors from the realm in your house and believe strongly that one of them is your grandma... Perhaps that's what's causing the sudden observation of increased activity in your house... Your grandma and previous house owner... Maybe not seeing eye to eye?...I think some of your descriptions have an logical explanation... Such as the flys on your dog? What was he rolling around in previously? If I where you, I would believe it was my grandma... That way further activity in your house is likely to make you feel more comfortable than frighten... If there not trying to jump in your body or pushing you down the stairs or throwing things at you... Then they are co existing with you and probably trying to tell you something... They may comfort you or themselves by you opening up your mind to such an attempt... And there are spiritual laws that can't be crossed... Only ever attempted by a very small percentage of malicious spirits... And I'm not picking up on any in your story...

Daz
troyarn (5 stories) (479 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-09-20)
Great story, lebanese. Seems your father has these spirits quite riled up. While I hope everything settles down for your parents, I also hope you'll write soon about any other activity going on. Thanks very much for sharing this with us!
lightningspirit (1 stories) (6 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-09-20)
I have to agree with zzsgranny. If he sucks up his pride and apologizes it will calm down. But, he sounds like an aweful proud man so good luck getting him to that step and getting him to actually mean it. They are making fun of him and taunting him. If they were going to physically harm your parents, they would have already done it. As far as the lighter, they like to play hide and seek with items. Just try to get him to play along for a while then say "ok I give up I can't find it" and it will be put where he can find it. It's all a game to them. Good luck!
IwanttoHelp (24 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-09-20)
I don't think your story is amusing because look what they've done to your dog!
I don't think the spirits will leave until your father gives it up.
Try to do as Casper-ess suggest: invite a medium and also try to tell the spirits that its got nothing to do with you or your mother, it was your dad who provoked them. 😕
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
14 years ago (2010-09-20)
lebanese: I'm so sorry, but I find your story rather amusing, but let me tell you why... The spirits in your house aren't trying to harm any of you, they just want your Dad to finally accept that they are indeed there...And, I think they're doing a fine job of proving it!...

I honestly think they mean no harm, but an apology from him will go a long way in calming them down...They're just having a bit of fun at a skeptic's expense!...Gotta love it! 😆

Now, along with the apology, your family needs to set rules for co-habitation...And promise to never piss them off again! 😊 ❤
Casper-ess (9 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-09-20)
Hi...I just joined this group & I must say your story is very captivating. I agree with Rashidah... Your Dad shouldn't get angry with these spirits as it only makes it worse & invites them to feel even more comfortable with what they're doing. Have you thought about bringing in a Medium to the house... Someone with a lot of experience with all things paranormal? Over the years,I've had many things happen to me personally with GHOSTS... I think that the ghosts like people who are very "sensitive" & that's when they feel good about lettin you know they're around... I come under that catagory of "extreme sensitive"...my advice would be for your Dad to change his attitude & plz... Get HELP... Good luck! 😁
Rashidah (guest)
+1
14 years ago (2010-09-20)
Your dad did a very foolish thing.
Calling out or challenging the spirit world WILL provoke spirits 😐
vulcan10 (5 stories) (332 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-09-20)
I don't like it when someone tries to talk to me from another room either. But on your haunts, have you tried to get evps in any form or set up a camera in various locations? I'd just like to get a glimpse of these things. Sounds like you have a potpourri of things going on there. Your bound to get a large variety of suggestions as to what to do. They might even help, but in the mean time, get proof.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: