You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Abbey Flat

Real Ghost Stories

The Abbey Flat

 

These happenings took place from February 2009 to August. My friend and I had decided to move out of our family homes and get a flat together in our home town of Sligo. It was a beautiful flat, built opposite the ruins of old Abbey from the 12th century (although, technically it's a friary). Many dreadful things have happened there, especially in the times of Cromwell when a number of monks were hung, drawn and quartered for not giving up their faith, and during times of plague or cholera outbreaks dying victims were thrown over the walls so they could be buried. It has a fascinating history and our flat had the most perfect view of it from our living room window. I loved looking out upon it in the morning, it was so beautiful. The flats themselves were remodeled 19th century houses. Local legend states that Bram Stokers mother grew up on this street.

The first strange encounter occurred the day we decided to move in. My flat mate and I were in the kitchen; we had just finished the paperwork and were in the process of talking to a friend on the phone. While my flat mate was chatting, I noticed the cupboard door over the cooker was open, so I closed it. And then, before our eyes, ever so slowly the door opened itself again. We were silent for a moment, and then we looked at each other and laughed. Later that afternoon we discovered a meat cleaver under the sink. While we thought it was a weird item to leave behind, it was mutually understood never to open that cupboard again, because of a weird feeling you got when looking in it.

The next happened the first week we moved in. I was sitting in the front room alone on my laptop when a weird groaning came from the storage closet (which was massive) followed by a growling noise. I was too scared to move, and put my head phones in so I couldn't hear any other noises.

About a month later, my flat mate saw a dark shape going from the front door to the kitchen. She thought it was me, and thought nothing of it, continuing on with her work, but became unnerved when I returned some hours later.

A few weeks after that, I was washing up and I put the tin opener on the side board. After due considerations, I dried it up and put it beside the sink where I found it-in case my flat mate needed it the next day. NEXT DAY! My flat mate couldn't find it! We searched all over the kitchen, not to be seen anywhere. EVEN THOUGH I REMEMBERED PUTTING IT BESIDE THE SINK! Two days later, my flat mate picks up the dish cloth-and lo and behold there's the sodding tin opener even though we had looked there thrice.

A few days after that, my flat mate tried to light a candle in the living room/kitchen. The Candle refused to light. After ten minutes, she got it to light and sat down. She looked up a few minutes later only to find the candle gone out. She gave up and decided to go to the local supermarket. She was gone about twenty minutes and when she came back, she found that the candle was alight! But the ring of wax around the flame suggests it's had only been alight a couple of minutes. She was alone at the time, and I had to go to a friend's house that night.

About two days later; I was at home with my mother. My mother was rambling on at me about painting the kitchen while at the cooker. I was sitting beside the kitchen table on the computer trying to get it to work. Suddenly mum shrieked, and pointed to the table. Our fruit bowl (with the overhang for banana's) was acting really strange. The banana tree part was bouncing up and down, as if someone had pulled down on it! But no one was near it! Three days later I was sitting on my bed watching a movie on my laptop. I had the door open so I could see my flat mate return. A weird shape kept appearing in the doorway. At first I thought it was the light reflecting off my eyelashes-so I tried to recreate the effect to no avail! So I get up and closed the door instead.

Everything was quiet for a couple of months then. My door would rattle some nights for no reason, and I would have to put a bag against it to stop it. My irrational fear of hallways started up again, and I could never look to my flat mate's room when going to the bathroom, without becoming scared. I came home from work one day to find the front door half open, even though my flat mate had not left it that day and I had made sure that it was closed when I left that morning. Another strange incident happened one night when I left my family home to return to the flat. A large black dog greeted me at the end of my street, and stayed by my side all the way to my flat, where he dropped me off and then wandered off into the night!

One Friday night, I went to bed and turn off my light. It usually clicks a few minutes after it's turned off, and so it does. Ten minutes after that, I heard the click again by my ear. So I assumed I was going mad, and went to sleep. At three in the morning, I heard my wardrobe door shut. Even though it was shut already. I wondered why my flat mate was in my room and woke up...ALONE. So I had to go to sleep with the light on.

Unfortunately we had to move out in the August, I had to move to Dublin to go to college, and my flat mate couldn't afford it without me. So we had to go. The Last night we were there, I had just got back from feeding my dogs at my family home. My Flat mate informed me that a door just closed by itself and the kettle had just clicked on, minutes before my return. We often wondered if it was one of the monks from across the road wondering what we were up too. We never felt threatened, yes we were a bit spooked out by the strange events, but we never felt that we weren't wanted. Someday I'd like to go back and see if there's anything else been reported.

Other hauntings by sameeca

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Ireland

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, sameeca, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

troyarn (5 stories) (479 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-09-27)
Great story, sameeca. Very strange things going on there. I'm wondering if it were the monks or something else. Regardless, thanks for sharing this with us and I hope you have more stories come out soon.
seregirl (guest)
 
14 years ago (2010-09-27)
Wow, what a great story. "It was mutually understood never to open that cupboard again, because of a weird feeling you got when looking in it" sent shivers up my spine. Nothing really seemed like it was malevolent, just kind of curious and playful. With the presence and history of the Abbey it really makes for an interesting ghost story. I wonder where they buried the bodies?
sameeca (4 stories) (8 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-09-27)
I take it intelligent hauntings mean that they were aware that we we were there? My dad (whose lived in this town for sixty years or so) said that it was a graveyard at one point, that the Abbey's grounds were much larger originally, they found the old gatehouse some half a mile away recently when they cleared some part of the town away to build some apartments. So maybe it's just an old face intrigued in the new developments.
Dan_Paranormal (1 stories) (74 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-09-25)
Ah I enjoyed reading this, sounds intelligent, and the acts going on to me sounded slightly like they were almost communicating with you on some level expecially with the bannana. They appear to have fed off your energy hence why the activities may have got stronger and/or more dominant than before.

I'm glad that it wasn't a malicious being. Did you ever try to research the old address? With some history behind it it may have provided some sort of insight. Thanks for sharing your story.
sameeca (4 stories) (8 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-09-24)
I would have loved to have stayed, but life is like that. Who knows maybe I'll go back to it some day, but you should look up Sligo Abbey anyway, they have a few amazing ghost tales of their own!
JamesRobiscoe (419 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-09-24)
Erin--Thanks for a story with shivers but no abject terror. Your descriptions sketch in the sense of place nicely. The seemed startling but not really threatening. The behavior suggests intelligent rather than residual spirits. They may not be trapped somewhere but allowed to roam (maybe in a limited area) and do things like test out the intriguingly-named banana tree and the electric kettle, etc. Curious but not really pushy.
You and your friend might've had some more clear experiences should you have stayed, but better futures awaited you.
(The ominous meat cleaver might've been hidden away from young hands?)
Thanks again for a slice of Sligo adventures.
~ James

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: