You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Ghost Tours & Haunted Hotels :: The Oregon Caves Chateau

Real Ghost Stories

The Oregon Caves Chateau

 

My mother came out to visit me and my family just recently. One thing she'd wanted to do when young, but never got to do: Visit the Oregon Caves. So before her coming out, I reserved a number of rooms for her and my family, at the Oregon Caves Chateau.

Part of the nuance of such was that it (the Chateau) is supposed to be haunted. I tried to get the room involved (310) but it was already reserved. (Darn it!)

Instead I and the wife got room 301, two of the kids got 302, and the remaining kid bunked with Mom/Grandma- 204. Small rooms, not much in the way of amenities, hard mattresses, but cozy and nicely housekept.

We got there just at check in time. And we managed to get a tour of the caves before our dinner reservation time. Apparently during the history of the caves - there was one reported death in the caves itself - an accidental suicide involving the proper use of guns. But no reported hauntings from that.

But the hotel itself? Room 310 is supposedly haunted by a ghost named: Elizabeth. Legend has it - that Elizabeth was a lady on her honeymoon who caught her newlywed husband messing around on her with a chambermaid/housekeeper. Instead of confronting her husband she chose suicide, either by jumping from the third story window of her room or hanging herself within it.

Now, did our room have any problems during the night? The missus didn't report any problems, though I got the notion that someone was determined to keep me from falling asleep, because every time I started to fall asleep- I'd get woken up by some little nitnoid sound like a creak in the room inside or outside. Four times that happened. And I got woken up several times despite leaving the window open to listen to the sound of the small waterfall outside the windows. One instance was of my walking cane falling all the way over. Grrrrrr!

The kids in 302 went to sleep and stayed that way. No problems were reported by them.

But Mom/Grandma reported that in 204, that she was woken up several times during the night by someone opening and closing the dresser drawers, or by someone walking around the bathroom at night. Which according to the kid bunking with her, she didn't do.

That's it I'm afraid. No apparitions, No outlines, no moaning (of the ghostly kind) heard or detected otherwise.

The Chateau was nice, the mattresses were hard, the elevation was 4000 feet, such caused me to gasp a bit that night, partly due to the head cold I developed due to the massive rain during the ride down.

Hmm, perhaps the head cold was my punishment for the cruelty I visited upon a Stellar Jay during dinner- I left some buttered bread in front of the dining room picture window of which the Jay put on a performance trying to fly through the window to get at.

If you go to the Chateau- be sure to drive slow, the last 5 miles of the road is very twisty turny, and there are plenty of critters to avoid making into road kill.

And bring a jacket. It gets chilly in the caves.

Other hauntings by Moongrim

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Oregon

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Moongrim, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

bthbaer (1 posts)
+2
11 years ago (2012-10-16)
This is so funny to me cause I have a similar story. A few years back I went to the Chateau with my parents for a vacation. Coming to the Chateau I knew nothing of it's history. All my whole family knew was it was a really old hotel by the Oregon caves.
Since the moment we walked in to check in, I felt uncomfortable. I couldn't tell you why but I felt like there was someone there; everywhere. Taking time to explore I would walk around the lobby up stairs from the dinning room. Everything was normal and busy, but no matter how hard I tried I could never sit by, walk by, or stand by the piano with out getting chills.
The feeling I kept getting every time I was around or in the Chateau made me uncomfortable enough to beg my parents to leave and not stay the night. That night when I went to bed in my own room, I was 12 at the time, no matter how much I tried I couldn't get to sleep. The whole night I just kept hearing the couple up stairs yelling at each other, stomping around, slamming doors.
When I talked to my parents the next morning about it they told me they hadn't heard a thing. This being hard to believe cause the couple was so loud.
Chalking it up to maybe my imagination and a dream I made to match my uneasy feelings, my family and I brushed the incident off. As we were checking out my Dad, who loves to share, began retelling my tale to the receptionist who began to laugh. She just mentioned that the chateau was known for being haunted.
The only thing that convinced my parents I wasn't dreaming was after leaving the Chateau we looked up the story and then found out the tale of Elizabeth and her estranged fiance'... Whose room just happened to be beside mine.

so that's my experience. Anyone else?
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
+3
12 years ago (2012-06-10)
Moongrim: If you are still out there, how the heck are you? I have been missing your comments! I hope your back is not too bad; you really have my sympathies. 😐
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-04-29)
Hi Moongrim, Interesting! Not all experiences have to be 'mind-blowing'! 😉
How did the old back take the walking? My husband suffers from sciatica lately, & can't walk as much as he used to; nor can he stand for long, as his one leg goes numb. ~ Yes, I understand your problem, & sincerely sympathise. 😐 (He is often grouchy, due to pain.)
gelflingfay (1 stories) (52 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2011-10-24)
Except for the lack of sleep it sounds like a fun trip! I am glad you helped you mom see it! She must have really enjoyed it! 😊
Moongrim (2 stories) (871 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2010-10-08)
The Staff just smiled mostly when I asked about the ghost. They'd been advised apparently to not speak of the matter, or so I was told.

And I didn't get a chance to find out if the folks in room 310 heard anything. As they were most private.

Good Food at the dining room, and very large pancakes in the coffee shop the next morning.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+2
13 years ago (2010-10-08)
Moongrim, thanks for the review. This is one place I don't know that I'd ever make it to, but would love to visit. Glad you made the trip for me!
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2010-10-06)
Hi Moongrim, sounds like an interesting place to stay. Did you happen to hear if the people who stayed in room 310 experienced anything? Most of these places that have had claims of hauntings usually have journals in the rooms so guests can write down their experiences. I have yet to visit such a place, but it is on my list of things to do. Take Care 😊
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2010-10-06)
I would say a lot of residual energy probably still lingers there Moongrim. Did any of the staff mention stories to you at all regarding Haunting experiences? Sounds quite interesting.

Thanks for sharing.

Dan

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: