You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Non Human Entities :: My Black Shuck

Real Ghost Stories

My Black Shuck

 

This experience happened to me at the age of 13, I was moving close to the Thames River in London. Me, my mother, and my older brother, whom was 18. We had two dogs, Chewy our Chow Chow, and Marco our black Labrador.

After a few weeks of moving into our new home, we had neighbors knock at the door to kindly welcome us, it was close to 9pm, and seeing as this was in mid-winter, it got dark much earlier. Without thinking, I answered the door without locking the safety gate in the kitchen, and both dogs charged across and out the door, I watched helplessly, screaming their names as they raced off into the darkness of the cold winter night.

Gathering warm clothes both me and my brother set out to look for them, whilst my mother stayed at home in case of their return. By now I was in tears, we searched along the river bed, hunting in the tall grass, and our greeting neighbors searched the meadow. Hearing a yelp I noticed Chewy, our Chow Chow sprinting in our direction, jumping up at us as if she was happy to see us, looking up I expected Marco to run forward, And I did, I saw a dog in the distance, I called out "Marco!?" though the thing didn't move, the dog looking beast just stood there, with its back turned to us, just sitting and staring out onto the river. I patted my brother's shoulder, "There's Marco!" I said excitedly, and began trudging forward, "Come on Marco!" I shouted, though my brother pulled me back as the black dog in front of us turned its head in our direction, with horror I noticed it's large, golden eyes, they seemed to be glowing! Though I imagined this was just an illusion, the thing then stood, it was large, about the size of a growing calf (cow), it's legs were skinny, it's body had visible bones, and it hadn't a tail... This wasn't Marco.

I stood there, I was stunned, I had never seen such a creature, "Maybe it's lost" I whispered, and as I did so, the 'thing' lunged towards us, my brother grabbed my hand and quickly pulled us out of its path, Chewy yelped in despair, as it faded into the night. A cody gust of air blew against my neck and a gentle sound... Much like a wolves howl, this brought a chill to my spine that I would never forget, we of course ran straight home to tell my mother, who didn't believe a word of it, by this time it was around midnight and I was ordered to bed. I couldn't sleep of course, I kept seeing that strange, creepy canine in my head, every time I opened my eyes I was expecting to see it sat on the end of my bed, but luckily, it didn't and I drifted off to sleep.

The next morning, I ran downstairs, shouting for Marco, though my mother just looked at me sadly, My brother was sat on the couch with Chewy, "Marco was hit by a car last night, the driver has taken him to the vets, though they also think that he has been attacked by another dog, he has a deep puncture wound on his back leg." it hit me hard, 'another dog?' I still can't believe anything to this present day, I keep looking back to that night when I'm alone to try and figure it out, Marco came home safely with only a broken paw and fractured shoulder, and of course, the large bite wound to his leg, how he got that still remains a mystery, and I haven't had any more sightings of this ghostly dog... My Black Shuck.

(An honest true story written by Shannon Spooner, needing information and help on what this encounter could actually be)

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Spooner, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

lesliekim (1 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-11-28)
My sister & I learned in adulthood that we each on separate occasion had seen a pair of black ghost dogs with pointed ears & red glowing eyes. We both saw them in the same place, lying above us in the rafters of an old carriage house in our drive way. The strangest thing was no dog could climb up there or be supported by a couple of boards just lying across the carriage bay rafters. But there above us they laid on their stomachs, gazing down on us & panting. I remember I didn't feel scared of them. We grew up in the 60's on a farm in New Jersey, on land that was once inhabited by native Americans. I have been searching for information on them ever since.
Argo (1 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-04-22)
Thanks for sharing. Black Shucks can appear pretty much anywhere, but testimonies abound in Latin America and allover Europe, particularly in the UK.

Http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_dog_%28ghost%29
Http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hellhound

However, against the frequent belief that they are omens of death, in my experience, they try to either warn about a risk of death, or about a tragic (past) incident, such as a violent crime.

I believe that the one you have seen was trying to protect Marco, or warn you that it was at risk, and left a bite for you to rest assured you hadn't been dreaming. Had it meant to do more than just sign its presence, it would have been fairly easy.

They are not demons. They are the shadows of wolf totems, and one of the rare beings who can lift the veils between worlds.
Jack_F84 (1 stories) (5 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-02-25)
Your experience was with a "hell hound" and while they normally can't manifest themselves to the extent of physical harm, animals such as cats and dogs have long been known to be able to see and sense these types of things. Dogs and Cats where both worshiped in Ancient Egypt as deities or gods. Dogs had some domain over judgment after death and Cats where known as "Guides" to the afterlife.
dusk (3 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-01-17)
That is really creepy! But I'm sorry about your dog and I've heard of the Black Shuck before and I think it normally haunts in England its also known as the Barghest and Hellhound.
AndreaRC (12 stories) (31 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-12-30)
It seems like you know the folklore behind Old Shuck already? Or a least what Shuck is. It sounds to me like you had an encounter with a hellhound, and although I've never heard of one becoming physical enough to leave a bite wound, your dog could have or could not have came into contact with the creature that lunged at you, explaining his wounds. My question to you is, if you haven't seen it again, was there any death following his visit? Hellhounds are thought to be the omen of death or ill fortune in many legends.
chopis (78 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-09-29)
That must have being really scary!, 😨 glad your dog is now ok and that you both didn't get hurt by that "thing"!

Thanks for your story:)

Claudia
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-09-29)
Spooner I'm sorry to hear about your dog, I have read quite a few stories on this site that are very similar to yours. The majority of them are based in the United Kingdom, I would have a read through them and try to get a better understanding as to what it was that you had seen that night. I'm not to cluey regarding this topic sorry but I wish you all the best in your research.

Thanks for sharing.

Dan

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: