You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Haunted Tunnel

Real Ghost Stories

Haunted Tunnel

 

I lived in Virginia for several years as a child/teenager. Growing up in a semi-rural area, I heard many "haint" stories from family and friends, some of them revolving around Cencibal (I'm not positive on the spelling) Tunnel. The paranormal has always interested me because I started having ghostly experiences at a young age, and of course as soon as I got the chance to check out this tunnel myself, I did.

Cencibal Tunnel is nestled in between two mountains in Hawkins County, VA. It stands almost at the end of a long and narrowly winding road. Houses are few and far between on this road, but there is a house at either end of the tunnel, one of which was coined the Cencibal Mansion. Across the road from the "mansion" is a small cemetery that I believe to be a family burial place. There is a creek that runs on one side of the tunnel, and now unused train tracks that lay on top of the tunnel.

My most hair-raising experience at Cencibal Tunnel happened when I was 14. It was winter and all of the schools in the area had been dismissed early because of snow. My boyfriend, Jake, and his friend, Opie, picked my best friend, Tonya and I up from school. We went to my house for a while but, being teenagers, we were soon bored. So, as soon as the sun went down, we decided to venture out to the tunnel. Opie had never been and Jake had only been once before. We all piled into Opie's truck, which was a small Ranger-type truck with bucket seats. Opie drove, Tonya sat in between the bucket seats, and I sat on Jake's lap on the passenger side.

When we got to the tunnel, there was about a half a foot of water standing in the middle of it due to snow that had melted from an earlier snow storm. We pulled into the middle of the tunnel and Opie turned the truck and lights off. We sat there for a few minutes, joking about the ghosts. Perhaps this was a mistake, because it wasn't long before strange things started happening. The other three in the truck were talking when I noticed that something was dripping from the inside rear-view mirror of the truck. I wiped it with my finger, and noticed it was the consistency of water. I pointed this out to everyone else, and Opie said, "That's never happened before." Tonya thought it may have been condensation, but Jake pointed out that the windows weren't fogged over.

Then we heard the footsteps in the water. It sounded like someone was walking up behind the truck. We all heard it, and we all turned to look at the same time. We saw nothing. Jake rolled down his window and stuck his head out, looking down the bed of the truck, to the back, and Opie did the same on his side. Neither of them saw anything. I remember them both rolling their windows back up, and Jake looking at me saying, "That was weird." I will never forget the look in his eyes. He was definitely getting scared. I replied, "Yeah, that was weird." Tonya requested that we leave, but the rest of us weren't ready. Then something hit the truck HARD, hard enough that it rocked the entire truck. It sounded like it came from Jake's side, on the truck bed. Tonya and I screamed, and the boys came close to screaming. It was then that a white, translucent figure appeared in front of us, at a distance of about 10 feet. It appeared to me as if it were a woman in a long, flowing dress. And she was getting closer, ever so slowly. It was at this point that Opie said, "It's time to go," and he started the truck and we drove back to my house.

When we pulled into my driveway, we all poured ourselves out of Opie's cramped truck. Jake said he wanted to know what hit the truck. He and Opie began looking at the truck to see if there was any damage, or sign that something had hit it. They found what they were looking for in the form of a hand-print longer and wider than any of ours. We all placed our hands in the print, and it was much larger than ours, at least three inches longer than the boys'.

About a week later, Opie decided he hadn't had enough of the tunnel. He talked our friend Clinton into going with him to the tunnel to spend the night. They stopped by KFC on the way and bought a bucket of chicken; they were ready to post up for the night. Their vigilance would go unrewarded that night. They eventually tired of waiting and seeing nothing, and decided to go home in the wee hours of the morning. Opie took Clinton back to his truck, and Clinton followed him the rest of the way into town.

Opie totaled his truck that night. He wrecked, with no good cause, while Clinton watched helpless behind him. Opie had no memory of why he wrecked, but I have a theory. I don't want to be quick to make a firm conclusion, because I wasn't there that night, but I do wonder if Opie picked something up in the tunnel. Is that even possible? I don't know, but if anyone has any thoughts, I'll be happy to listen. I have other stories as well, if anyone is interested.

Thank you for taking the time to read my story, I know it's long!

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Virginia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, cash81, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

cash81 (1 stories) (4 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-11-27)
yes, it's right on the border of northeastern tennessee and southwestern virginia.
Elephante81 (2 stories) (59 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-11-17)
Unless, of course, you live near the border? It's obviously the same one based on your spelling and account, but that would make some info incorrect right?
Elephante81 (2 stories) (59 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-11-17)
The link you posted says the tunnel is located in TN... How is this the same one if you said in your story that the one you went to was in VA?
cash81 (1 stories) (4 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-09-29)
the authors of the site do debunk the stories surrounding the tunnel, but some of the stories they talk about are very close to my personal experience at the tunnel. They do have a very interesting EVP from the tunnel. Here it is! Http://ssprstn.tripod.com/id84.html
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-09-29)
Thanks Cash 😁 Sure posting a link that has validation to your story is absolutely ok. I'm anxious to read it as well. 😊 ❤
BadJuuJuu (guest)
 
14 years ago (2010-09-28)
Yeah, posting links related to the story is ok. Can't wait to read this. 😁
cash81 (1 stories) (4 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-09-28)
i'm reading the site my friend sent me the link to, and it does correlate my story... As I'm reading it I'm getting chills... Apparently there is a story that if you turn your car off in the tunnel, you can hear Mr. Sensabaugh walking up behind your car... I really hope that I can post the link... It does correlate closely to my story, and is very exciting for me!
cash81 (1 stories) (4 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-09-28)
[at] BadJuuJuu I think it is very likely that he fell asleep at the wheel. This happened 15 years ago, but my memory tells me that he just couldn't remember what caused the accident. I don't think he remembered falling asleep or anything.
[at] cosmogal there was a story about the tunnel, but it is a generic one, so I left it out of my post. The story went that there was a young girl who had an infant daughter. The child's father had left them, and in despair, the woman tied her baby to the railroad tracks above the tunnel, and she and the baby were both killed by a train. I heard stories that you could hear the baby crying, but never experienced that first-hand. I went to the tunnel many times, and never heard any crying. And yes, Opie had some bumps and bruises, but walked away from the crash.
[at] seventh...like I said in my post, I wasn't sure of the spelling... But I just checked with an old friend of mine who still lives in the area and she thinks that your spelling is correct. It's in carter's valley. She just sent me a website about the tunnel that I didn't even know existed... How cool is technology? But I don't know if we are allowed to post other sites or not... If anyone knows, please let ME know!
Sarah-Sadist (3 stories) (20 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-09-28)
Thats crazy! In Colorado where I live we have Gold Camp road. With 3 tunnels that are just super scary! Though I have never had ANYTHING like that happen before! Just wow, I can't believe that part about the hand print I mean you could phsyicaly see the print! What luck! 😁 Though I am sorry about your friend 😢
seventhz777z (1 stories) (7 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-09-28)
Is it the tunnel that you are reffering to Sensabaugh Tunnel?
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-09-28)
Creeeeeepy 😨 I wonder what happened in the tunnel that sparked all the stories and activity. Do you know of any deaths or accidents that took place there? I was thinking the same as BJJ. It is very possible he could have fallen asleep. Was Opie ok, and did he remember anything that happened before the accident? That tunnel does sound like a great place to investigate with the right equipment. 😊
BadJuuJuu (guest)
+1
14 years ago (2010-09-28)
I assume they were there pretty late at night. Is it possible Opie could have drifted off to sleep behind the wheel?
The tunnel sounds very intriguing. I would love to spend some time there with a digital camera.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: