You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Haunted Escalator In Central

Real Ghost Stories

Haunted Escalator In Central

 

I was fortunate enough to go visit Hong Kong twice in a row. My first time being with my family in 1994, and then by myself in 1995.

My story happened in July 1995 after going out with some friends, and was on the way back to my uncle's flat. I am not too familiar with Hong Kong, so please forgive me if I said Central, and its not.

This involved the section from the Ice House location all the way to Conduit Rd. I remember it was late at night, it was about 2am. I was all by myself, no one else was on the escalator as I could notice. I had a strange feeling as being watched. Then I saw the video cameras. It was strange. At first I thought someone was walking up the escalator fast to get somewhere quick, as it was coming below from all the way down where I began my journey up on the escalator. It was not a running pattern of sound, but a fast walking pace sound coming up towards you. It made some kind of metallic thunk sound each time it was coming towards me. I felt a cold wind and the metallic thunk sound coming closer, but the same rate of speed.

I decided to stop and listen at a level platform, and peered down. Normally if you peered down from this point you can see all the way down clearly of 3 sections of the escalator of where the noise was coming from. Nothing was there, but the noise of the metallic thunk sound stopped, as if whatever was making that noise knew I was looking at it. As I left the level landing I continued up the escalator, and the metallic thunk started up the escalators again in a more hurried pace as if it was trying to catch up to me. I decided to quicken my pace as well as I started to walk up the escalator instead of letting it carry me. Until this point there was no one on the escalator, neither going up or down. I noticed on the other side the escalator was turned off, non moving. Each time I passed by a security camera I stopped for a few seconds and I waved for help as I was starting to get scared.

But no one came to my rescue. Nothing at all. As the sound was getting closer, it made me run up the escalator now. And I realized that I was breaking the rule of not running. But yet passing the security camera and thinking seeing me do this they would come stop me from running. But nothing still. The sound was getting louder and closer, and I envisioned some kind of invisible horrible thing one section behind me. I did not dare to look back, and kept running at full tilt by now, up the escalators, and starting to skip over each step, concentrating carefully and not wanting to trip on one. As I got to the top of the escalator section I quickly turned and continued to run full tilt. As I turned my head and looked at the escalator, I saw two red eyes, and nothing else. I quickly remembered that there was a cafe that opened late and I quickly ducked in there. The staff were the only ones there just eating.

One elderly lady screamed and pointed at the two red eyes. A man grabbed the idol of "Guan Yu" and held it towards the door, and the red eyes disappeared. Until this day it haunts me and am scared to use the escalator alone. I later found out that this part of the mountain had a lot of landslides that have killed many.

Other hauntings by Honshu

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Honshu, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

meiji (2 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-06-14)
Thanks Honshu. There are cafes on Robinson road, and I think there were some 22 years ago. Great that your grandma had you blessed when you were little... Do share more when you have time... Cheers and good health.
Honshu (4 stories) (14 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-05-03)
Hi Meiji, this story of the escalator has been posted to another site, but edited to protect the information. However if I can remember since it has be about 22 years ago. I think the street was called Robinson Rd, or a street near it. My uncle still lives on Conduit Rd.
I can only remember enter the escalators at Central, near Ice House street. The cafe was never then I returned, but all I found was a driveway entrance to another building. And on the corner of the entrance was one of those ancestral worship memorial of some kind.
I asked my uncle if there was a restaurant or some kind of cafe there. As he has lived at his apartment since it was built.
I was informed none as if he could recall.
However when I told my parents about it that many years ago, both my uncle and my mom, confirmed it could be a angel protecting me in someway. As they both informed me that I was blessed as a god child of chinese deity by my late grandmother. Sorry I don't know which one.
meiji (2 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-04-28)
Hi Honshu, it's great you got back to lifeofbrian. I am really interested in this paranormal stuff and I live in HK, using the escalators at least once a week. Pls do you remember more, share more? It's true the escalators should not be working at 2am so very creepy if you experienced otherwise. But I think there are sections close to the bottom that do run both ways. But this was 20 years ago so I wonder where was the cafe you visited? There are many along the escalator but should be none along the upper sections near Conduit road. Do you remember where your uncle lived? Just trying to trace your steps...
Honshu (4 stories) (14 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-03-27)
This is for Lifeofbrian. You are correct the escalators are not supposed to be running at that time. But they were. Sorry its not a ghost story, its a true event, as inaccurate you may think it is. Thats fine, because what I tell is true, and what happened was how I felt it.
NiNiNogginHead (33 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-23)
This is creepy. Did you ask the people in the cafe what it was?
lifeofbrian (1 posts)
-1
13 years ago (2011-10-10)
Very poorly written, I would have checked and made it more believable and avoided blatant inaccuracies. Stories are scary because they COULD be true, but if the inaccuracies are obvious, then it ruins the whole thing
1. The escalators are NEVER running at 2am. They shut down a little after midnight, and open again around 6am.
2. The escalators only go one way, up (most of the time) or down (in the early morning). There is no "other side" to notice that is not running.
3. There are no bars or cafes that will be open at 2am. Zoning laws prohibit this. The area around the escalators is still considered residential.
tonyinhk (1 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-01-08)
I actually live in Hong Kong and its true that
A lot of places here are haunted. BTW you are
Right, that escalator has had its share of ghostly encounters. Its in Central and that part of Hong Kong is also called the old district. It dates back into the late "1800".
I have heard many many ghost stories whilst growing up here. Anyway take care
yamazaki (1 stories) (11 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-01-03)
Freaky! My friend that grew up in Hong Kong used to tell me stories about scary things that happened with her, so this doesn't surprise me at all.
Did you ever ask anyone exactly what it was, or if other people had experienced anything similar?
skatermark (1 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-10-01)
Your story relates a lot to my friends story, he told me it was around 12 at night, he was on the way home, so he used the escalator up that leads to the train station, he was the only one there because it was so late, he told me he could feel someone dotted him on the back, so he turned around to see what it was, he told me he saw a man with a hat on, lying in the air looking at him, so he ran as fast as he could in shock, I actually do believe him, I can see it on him when hes telling it to me, that he aint lying, I can see he gets the creeps when telling me, he usually never lies to me, so yea:/
mementomori (10 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-10-01)
This was really scary. Was this your only paranormal experience? At least the people in the cafe saw the red eyes, too.
snowhite (203 posts)
-2
14 years ago (2010-09-30)
Entity with red eyes? I don't think so. Got to be something demonic.
blue_raven80 (13 stories) (338 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-09-30)
Creepy! It will make me run too! LOL. Anyway, it could be an entity or it could be a lost spirit, who knows.

kamui (1 stories) (56 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-09-29)
nice creepy story and unique, usually I've read only about haunted elevators or staircase but this one is an escalator.
Looking forward to read more of your stories.
Take care!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: