You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Old Man Charlie

Real Ghost Stories

Old Man Charlie

 

This story isn't really scary although when it happened it scared me half to death.

I was around 10 or 11 years old, I am now in my 30's. My family and I (mom, dad, and younger brother) moved into a nice white house in a little bitty town called El Portal, it's in the Greater Miami area. I was asleep in my bed one night and suddenly I sat straight up and was wide awake. I am not sure of the time but it was still dark outside. Standing at the end of my bed was a silhouette of a man. As I stared I started to shake like a leaf but couldn't move. I guess I was frozen with fear.

The figure became clearer after what seemed like hours but was probably seconds or minutes. It was an old man that had lived and died in that very house. His name was Charlie. I tried to scream for my parents but like I said I was frozen with fear. Only a thin mewling sound came out.

Then this man spoke to me. His lips didn't move. It was more like a voice in my head. Very very strange. He told me "Please don't be afraid. Don't look so frightened. I am not going to hurt you." He sounded like a grandfather. I just stared and finally was able to speak and asked him why he was in my room.

He told me his name was Charlie and that I looked very much like his granddaughter. He told me she used to sleep in that room when she was young and would visit. He said he was there just looking at me and thinking of his grandchild who is now grown.

Eventually after about 2 weeks of him appearing in my room at night I became used to it. This happened 2-3 times a week. The strangest thing was that he would tell me stories about "The Good Old Days". Sometimes I would find something out of place in my room. I told my parents and my mom wasn't sure but my dad completely believed me.

I asked about the old man that passed away there. I inquired if he was named Charlie. Since my parents only told me that and old man had died there they were surprised to know that I knew his name since it was never told to me.

I became very used to Charlie and then one day I realized I hadn't seen Charlie for a couple of weeks. I was 14 when that happened. I was very curious as to why he stopped coming to see me and even kind of missed him. I started looking in the library for information on Charlie and the house. I came across his obituary and it said that he was a well liked very nice man who was estranged from his family. It mentioned that he had a son, daughter and 14 year old granddaughter.

So there you have it one of my real ghost stories. I just hope Charlie has finally crossed over to where he needs to be.

Other hauntings by EvilPixie62379

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Florida

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, EvilPixie62379, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

roseinbloom (4 stories) (117 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-10-07)
Very nice story. I am so glad to hear that some of the ghost stories on this site are not all scary or evil. Charlie, seems to have unfinshed business, in the since that you said, he was, estranged from his own family. How sad, this is to hear. Maybe, they didn't even attend his funeral. Thus, leaving him with a great longing, that continued even after death. If you ever see him again or hear of someone else seeing him again, he will probably need help getting to the other side, so he can rest. ❤
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
14 years ago (2010-10-07)
EvilPixie, I really liked your story! Charlie must have missed his granddaughter very much. I think he must have developed a deep affection for you too, for him to have spent so much time with you.

Was he the only ghost you ever saw, or have you seen more than Charlie?
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-10-07)
What a sweet story! It sounds as if you were able to help this man rest, that you helped him to put to rest some of his lonliness for his grand daughter that he felt!

Thanks for sharing!
God Bless!
sinner (guest)
 
14 years ago (2010-10-07)
He might have been a Soul from purgatory... Did he ever ask for help?

Very interesting story!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: