You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Something Strange

Real Ghost Stories

Something Strange

 

I have no idea if this is a ghost story or not, I just don't know what or who it was. I do know it was very frightening.

Twenty years ago I was living in Australia working on a tobacco plantation. My boyfriend and I lived in a few rooms 20 feet from the main worker's cottage. We had no bathroom and I had to go over to the cottage for a bath.

One night my boyfriend was watching television with the other guys in the cottage and after getting my things together things together I walked over for a bath. The bathroom was attached to the back of the cottage and I had to walk in front of the cottage (which had a wooden porch running along the front) and then down the side and around the back to the bathroom. It was a dark night and here was a bright yellow car there and as I went to turn down the side of the house I felt someone there, and then saw two legs right in front of me against the car, I stopped and stared but saw no torso or anything else only legs. I waited for them to speak but because I couldn't see they and they didn't say anything I felt freaked out so ran to the bathroom.

After my bath I was still scared as I walked up the side of the house. When I was nearly at the front of the house I felt the rush of a body running past, only a foot in front of me and heard the heavy footsteps run the length of the wooden porch. Yet even though they ran past right in front of my eyes I saw absolutely no one there. I was very scared then and ran back to my room. The whole time I was there I felt some one watching me.

I ran back to the cottage and yelled at the guys, telling them their little joke wasn't funny and they looked at me like I was mad. When I realized it wasn't them I said well didn't you hear those footsteps run across the porch (as the room they were watching TV from was the front room with just a wall and windows separating them from the porch and how could they not hear the loud footsteps?) They said no and thought I was a nutter! Never mind I was as pale as a ghost and obviously terrified.

From then on I would always feel I was being watched through the windows at night and worst yet whenever I looked towards the window they would run off and make a whistling noise (similar to those party whistles that are rolled up and then un-roll when you blow them)

I was so frightened all the time, but my boyfriend never heard it. One night my boyfriend and I had just got into bed and someone was watching. I sat up and they ran off making that awful noise. I said to my boyfriend "There it was, did you hear it? It was there" and he growled and said "No". I didn't understand, he wasn't asleep, how could he have not heard the loud whistling and the footsteps running off on the concrete? I really thought it was just me going mad then.

It kept happening and in the end I had to leave that place. Does anyone have a clue about this? It was very frightening and I will never forget it.

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Australia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, joey0045, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

joey0045 (1 stories) (5 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-10-11)
[at] James:) I have only had a few 'ghost' experiences. The rest of my 'experiences' would go on the sister site. Astral travel, lucid dreaming, energies and clairaudience.
joey0045 (1 stories) (5 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-10-11)
Thanks for responding guys:) I was just reading about Bigfoot and Yetis and apparently they make a whistling noise which freaked me out. I couldn't find a description of the actual whistling but someone said it was 'bizarre'.
JamesRobiscoe (419 posts)
+2
14 years ago (2010-10-11)
Joey-- (That's a term for a young kangaroo, isn't it?)
As Darkness points out, it takes energy (borrowed or taken) for a personality on the other side to manifest. I'd say that's why they are the least experienced of the "signs," and why not infrequently do we see only part of a body.
Whistling, too, or humming, but whistling has been specifically noticed as well, not always but not infrequently. The jury's still out on if it has particular significance or the party was just a whistler, which was a lot more common in days of old before the tech spread of music.
You saw and heard and sensed it because you're more attuned than your buddies. No more or less, I'd say.
The entity might have been residual since it did not so much interact with you but manifest with you as a witness. Being it was a tobacco plantation, it could be any number of people, from bosses to workers. As it happened at the main worker's house, did he hve anything to report on it or was he unapproachable about the subject?
The party thing that makes a noise is not surprisingly called a "blowout." That's a very odd sound, and very particular. Perhaps it was that he died at a celebration where blowouts were used.
I wonder if your "gift" has brought any other odd insights?
Cheers. ~James
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
+2
14 years ago (2010-10-11)
Perhaps the reason you only seen the legs is because the spirit did not have enough energy to manifest. You see spirits will use energy from the area to do this, this is why when people are doing a paranormal investigation a lot cases the electrical equipment will not work and batteries will be drained. Definitely seems like you did witness a ghost and as TheGirlInWhite mentioned your boyfriend may not have experienced anything because you are more open to witness and experience this type of phenomena perhaps. The whistling has me baffled though.

Thanks for sharing.

Dan
TheGirlInWhite (2 stories) (26 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-10-10)
But the answer I can give, is that you definatly saw a ghost.:)
TheGirlInWhite (2 stories) (26 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-10-10)
Hmmmm now that does make things a little weirder. It does give the feeling that if this were one of the people who was mentally ill, it would be someone who mentally didn't develope. But I'm not a professional so I really cannot give you a definate answer.
joey0045 (1 stories) (5 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-10-10)
Well the whistle was like one of those party whistles that are curled up and then uncurl when you blow them! I know it all sounds really weird, but if it wasn't I wouldn't have felt the need to share it wondering if anything similar had happened to anyone else. I did see on one of those 'Ghosthunter' TV shows, the team were in a haunted place and saw a pair of legs only. Apart from that I have never heard of or read about 'legs only' apparitions.
TheGirlInWhite (2 stories) (26 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-10-10)
Hi,

I don't think it could have been someone mentally ill. If that were the case, your experiances would be a lot worse.
They tend to have a "bad" presence, and you would have felt that. That aweful noise you heard, could you describe it? If it's too long ago don't worry. But with any bad spirirts, the noises heard tend to be very disturbing, like growling or heavy breathing.

But as to the legs; well if they were definatley human legs that didn't have a body, the only explanation IS a ghost. I find it odd though, this spirit only showing itself with legs. The same with the rushing in-you would have known if it was wind right away.
I don't want to pu him down as a stalker, yes he came into your house, but he/she might have been curious at the time.
joey0045 (1 stories) (5 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-10-09)
Hi GirlInwhite, thanks for responding:) Yes they were definately legs and I knew it was a person just as you can sense if someone is standing right behind you. Whatever it was always watched from outside the same window, I never sensed or heard anyone inside, which is why I wonder was it a ghost at all? I am a believer but always very sceptical at first. I have had other experiences but this one was odd. If it wasn't for the fact that a) the guys didn't hear the heavy footsteps; b) my boyfriend never heard the footsteps or the whistling noise (although it happened several times whilst he was in bed with me, I just thought he was asleep until that night when I knew he wasn't yet, because we had only just climbed into bed); c) it ran right past me only about a foot and I didn't see it; and d) the legs, with no visible body; I would have just thought it was a 'crazy stalker'! This was in a country that I no longer live in, however I do know there was a mental institution nearby and may have been there for many years. Was it someone mad who stayed there, or a mad ghost from years gone?
TheGirlInWhite (2 stories) (26 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-10-09)
Cheers for sharing your story.

Please don't take this the wrong way, are you positive they were legs, I mean were they CLEARLY legs; they could have been streaks of reflected light for example.

As to the footsteps, by the sounds of it, it does sound like a ghost, with the rushing of a body it does sound positive.

You mentioned that you felt like you were being watched as well as hearing things, is there anything like, did you feel that someone was on the bed, do you find it difficult to sleep, pressure when you do sleep, coldness, paranoia... Anything like that?
Do you know about past occupiers or when the building was made?

The reason that he hasn't heard or felt anything that you have may be that you are more receptive to the paranormal.
If you want an absolute 'yes it is a ghost' you could get a medium if you wish. I don't recommend that you use as Ouiji board as it can have regretable effects, even if the ghosts seem friendly, anything can happen.

Hope this helped:)

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: