You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: Shadow Man In Doorway

Real Ghost Stories

Shadow Man In Doorway

 

I come from a very small town, Jal, NM, where my home is located kind of on the outskirts of town.

Growing up I do not know if it is just because I love paranormal stuff or if it was just my imagination, however, I have always experienced strange situations in my parents current home.

I have to explain first of all that I and my sister would always sleep in the same room, although we each had our own rooms. During the summer we would always sleep in her room due to her room having all the windows and the room is cooler. In the winter we would sleep in my room because it was located right in the middle of the house and had no windows and tended to stay warmer. My room was the only room that did not have a door.

Well growing up I would always try and scare my little sister when she would get on my nerves and tell her that if she didn't listen to me that the man was going to come in the middle of the night to scare her. One night after telling her this, the scare was on me. I couldn't sleep that night, I kept tossing and turning and when I looked up at where my bedroom door should be I saw a shadow of a man just standing there. The figure, although it was very dark, seemed to be that of a man. It was tall and wide. I had the sensation that he was just staring at me, but I couldn't see his face. It never tried to harm me, but the sensation I got from the shadow was still very creepy to say the least. I was too scared to try to figure out what this shadow was. All I remember doing is getting under my covers, too scared to look up again.

Seeing this shadow happened to me on several occasions. I remember I would go to bed, not being able to sleep, and there was the shadow once again. I was too scared and embarrassed to tell anyone because I didn't think anyone would believe me.

One day, however, my little sister told me that she wanted to talk to me and tell me something, but was afraid that I would not believe her, (keep in mind I never told her anything about what I have encountered). My sister proceeded to tell me that she had to tell someone regardless. She told me she hated to sleep in my room because at night sometimes where my door should be she would see a shadow, a shadow of a man standing there. I was shocked and relieved all at the same time when she told me this. I then told her of the times that I had also seen the shadow.

To this day I will not sleep in my old room. I have also since then made my dad put up a door in that room. We never did figure out what or why we saw that shadow!

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, valdez85, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

VeronicaMarie (5 stories) (106 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2020-03-18)
Melda and Mera123, I am so sorry for addressing my reply to Melda instead of to Mera. I swear, I am growing more absent-minded by the minute. 😳 Thank you so much, Melda, for letting me know.
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+1
4 years ago (2020-03-18)
VeronicaMarie - You've erroneously addressed your comment to me. It's obviously intended for Mera 😊 Hopefully she'll read it.

Regards, Melda
VeronicaMarie (5 stories) (106 posts)
+2
4 years ago (2020-03-18)
Melda, just wanted to ask, was the hooded figure white? Because I did have something like that happen to me, when I was just a little older than you were... Maybe 12 or so, I think. And reading your post just now brought back incredible chills at that memory, because I think my experience may have been so similar to yours, but wanted to check if it was white, like what I saw was. Only in my case, I was lying in bed unable to sleep, and something white suddenly swooped out from under the bed and became part of the white closet door, and didn't move after that. But it was a sense of the figure being hooded or sheeted or something, and just hanging on the door. I shared a bedroom with my sis, and asked her, 'Did you see that?' And I remember her response being grumpy and telling me not to talk about it, because she saw it too. It's weird, because my memory feels like that was her response, yet I have no memory of talking about it to her the next morning. Of course, she could have been asleep and my question woke her and she was too groggy to know what the heck I was talking about. Like you, I don't think I ever told anyone else besides her about it. I guess it was an instinct that it would sound too stereotypical scared-of-ghosts-in-sheets type of thing. But to this day, I remember it, and remember how it took my breath away... And not in a good way!
Mera123 (1 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2020-03-17)
I know this post is from 9 years ago, but I finally found the gumption to see if someone has had an experience like mine, and it seems people have.

My story is: when I was around 10 years old, we were having a sleepover with some friends. There were 4 kids in the room all sleeping on blanket pallets on the floor. At one point, everyone was asleep but me. I looked up at the open doorway, and a shadowed figure, about 8 feet tall was standing in the doorway. The figure was hooded, but it was as if there was no face anyway. It felt like it was staring right at me. I shut my eyes hoping it was my imagination, but when I opened them back up the figure was still there. It never moved. I tried to shift my focus behind it and around it to see if it would disappear, but it did not. So I covered my head with my blanket and started praying continuously until I fell asleep with my head still covered.

I never told anyone until I was much older. I grew up as the daughter of a Southern Baptist preacher. No one would have believed me. To this day, I wonder what the entity was. It felt borderline malicious, but it acted as though there was a barrier keeping it from passing through the doorway.

I have since learned that I am an empath and sensitive to energies. Maybe this could be why I could see it, though no one else was awake to prove that.
Supernaturalover (13 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2010-11-02)
I had the same experience thank god finally somebody has my experience! In 5th grade my friend was sleeping at my house. Since my bed was too small for both of us we slept in the living room. I did fall asleep but I suddenly woke up at exactly 4 am. And for some reason I felt like something was watching me. I turn my head to see a shadow of man standing near the porch door I froze in fear. The shadow had no face but I knew it was staring at me. I could also see the shadows of tree branches from my front yard I get up to see if someone is standing in the front yard but no one was there. I run to my mothers room petrified (my friend was like in a coma so I knew he wouldn't wake up) I went back to sleep in the living room at the break of dawn relieved to see the shadow gone. I tried to tell my mom but she didn't believe me (my dad doesn't believe in the supernatural so there was even no point to tell him) I never told my friend cause I did not want him to think I was crazy. I did think it was a evil shadow though. It never harmed me and I have since not seen this mysterious shadow.
um_mp (guest)
+1
13 years ago (2010-10-31)
i was watching tv and saw about this girl that saw exactly what I have seen years ago. I think I was six or so and I felt like looking it up. I think it was a dream its the most memorable ever. I was in bed looking at the doorway but I had no door it was taken off yet I saw a sillohett of a man opening a door the background was lit up blue and it made me feel sick. It sound s kind of like this and I still don't know what to think of it but something did happen the next day. I don't know if theyre connected
valdez85 (1 stories) (4 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-10-11)
Since we moved into that house my dad has always been fixing it. He always tends to start things and never finish them, that's why I didn't have a door at the time, it was in the process of being fixed. And as to when I was joking with her, I never meant it to be serious. It was just to catch her attention, next thing I know I start seeing that shadow. In all I think it's just our house thought because I have also had more experiences at my home, which I'll write about it later. Thanks for your comments!
Nephele (3 stories) (101 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-10-10)
How serious were you when you were joking around with her about a man appearing?
Maybe it was a ghost just playing with you, or depending on how serious you were, something more harmful that decided to come... Dx
ItsMeKrissi (11 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-10-09)
Interesting story...
I know it's a stupid question, but why didn't you have a door in that room? Or did you have something like a curtain or just a doorway to walk through?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: