You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Saipan Airport WW2 Bomb Shelter Soldiers

Real Ghost Stories

Saipan Airport WW2 Bomb Shelter Soldiers

 

In May of 2008, I went to the island of Saipan. Saipan is near Guam and Japan. Before World War II, Saipan belonged to the Japanese. The Japanese had an airport there that had military buildings and bomb shelters. In WW II, the US military fought for the island of Saipan and took it away from the Japanese. The bomb shelters are well built and still standing today. The new airport is built nearby.

On a beautiful sunny day, I was exploring a bomb shelter. I was alone and happy and having a nice relaxing time. Birds and insects were making their usual noise, and it was really peaceful.

I went into the small door in the middle of the bomb shelter, and stood just inside the door. I looked at the two rooms for people on the left and right side of the door. The two rooms were empty except for some crumbled concrete, litter, and some rusted metal sticking out from the walls. The light in the bomb shelter was pretty bright, since it was so sunny outside. As I was standing there right inside the doorway, quietly looking around, the light suddenly started to get really dim inside the bomb shelter, and I heard a rushing sound in my ears. The rushing sound was like if you put coffee cups over your ears, but much louder. Then a shadow rushed right by me and sat down on the bench seat that was now mounted on the formerly rusted metal sticking out from the wall. Several more shadows rushed by me and sat on the bench seats. One shadow would rush to the left room and the next would rush to the right room. The shadows were rushing by about every second and if they had both gone the same direction they would have collided. It looked like they had practiced drills of rushing into the bomb shelter quite a bit before. I could see the shadows. They looked like they were made out of grey cigarette smoke. I could see their heads and bodies, but not their hands or feet. I saw that they were thin Japanese soldiers. They looked like they were about 5 feet tall and weighed about 100 pounds (or less). Their uniforms were tidy and well maintained, but the cloth looked like it was thin and getting worn out. I noticed that they all had their hats still on too, nobody lost one during the rush. As each solder rushed to the bench, he scooted over and made as much room for the next guy as he could. All the solders stared at the door and hoped more soldiers were coming. As each shadow rushed by, I realized there was not enough room in the doorway and they were actually going through me to get inside the bomb shelter. I could feel them pass through me. It felt the same as if I was holding my breath and releasing it as each shadow passed by. They were rushing by at about one shadow per second. I may have been actually holding my breath as each shadow passed by, and that's what I felt, and not the shadows at all, I will never really know about that detail. Then I could hear a loud rumble approaching in the distance and a few explosions. I could see the soldiers were still looking at the open door and waiting for the rest of their comrades. There were a few more empty spaces on the benches. I turned to look at the door too and I was surprised by the really bright light from the sunny day outside. The noise stopped at that moment. I turned back to look at the soldiers, and the bomb shelter was bright again and all the shadow soldiers were gone.

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, AzulWater, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

master-enigma (9 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-07-31)
Ghost of the past that still haunts the place that once they been protecting. You are very lucky to experience that kind of encounter. I wish that I could experience that encounter too. 😊
VermontVampyre (2 stories) (64 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-03-08)
Have to wonder if the ones they were waiting for died before getting to shelter... Or if those few were the only ones to make it through the war.
YureiGuy101 (guest)
 
12 years ago (2012-03-07)
interesting story that, 64 years later they were still rushing to the bomb shelter!
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-10-14)
Wow! Talk about leaving an imprint on a place. 😲 That must have been one awesome experience. Thanks for sharing it. 😊
Trix (14 stories) (407 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-10-12)
Hi AzulWater, very interesting story. Thanks for sharing. It is like history repeats itself again and again in some places. You are very lucky to have experienced this. 😉
butthead (guest)
 
14 years ago (2010-10-11)
thanks for sharing. First hand residual reminder of what people had to go through during wars. It would make me want to learn every lil thing I could about the shelters.
Well written.;)
DCinAZ (guest)
+1
14 years ago (2010-10-11)
OK, now that was cool! I am almost jealous of your experience. And your retelling of it was superb. I felt as if I were there watching with you, thank you.
BadJuuJuu (guest)
 
14 years ago (2010-10-11)
Wow, that would have been quite an experience. It sounds like a large scale residual haunting, like the Queen Mary. Very cool 😁.
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-10-11)
Ummmm, I really do not know what to say regarding your enounter- except - WOW! I would have been terrified!

Thanks for sharing!
God Bless!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: