You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Picton Tunnels

Real Ghost Stories

Picton Tunnels

 

One night my girlfriend and I decided to head out to picton tunnels, after all the stories we've heard from our friends, and seen on web sites. It was about 10pm when we got there and when we entered the tunnel we didn't hear or see anything. After we reached the other end we started thinking "ok the stories are just to scare us".

So we started walking back through the tunnel to get back to the car, when we were about 100 metres from the exit we heard an old steam train's horn and then we heard it start up and move towards us.

My girlfriend and I grabbed on to each other, our hearts pumping with adrenalin, we heard the train getting closer and closer, then it sounded like the train was just outside the tunnel and then we felt this wind go through us and the train that we could hear was then behind us exiting the tunnel.

After that me and my girlfriend looked at each other as if to say "did you hear that as well?" and then another noise was coming out from the tunnel where the train had left, and in all honesty I can not describe it and I didn't want to investigate after hearing the train so my girlfriend and I ran as fast as we could out of the tunnel and into the car.

Now the story with picton tunnels isn't a straight answer because some people say it's a young girl that haunts the tunnel some say it was an older women but the one thing that does match up is the name and how it happened. Her name is emily and people say that she was going through the tunnels a long time ago to get to school or work and she regularly went through the tunnel but unfortunately she got hit one day.

That was my first experience with a ghost and just thinking about that night is making me shake

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Australia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, brendan_the_winger, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Doug_T13 (1 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-16)
I visited the tunnel 2 months ago after hearing the stories about the area. My friend and I visited on a nice warm day with little or no wind and on approaching the tunnel everything was normal. Once at the entrance we were about to proceed in when wind come rushing into the tunnel from behind us. This unnerved me a bit so I decided to be polite and say 'hello' before entering. Immediatley after saying it I thought I had heard a reply but it didn't come from within the tunnel, it seemed like it came from behind us. I thought maybe I was just hearing things but when I looked at my friend I could see that she had heard it to. She said it sounded feminine and as I recall it wasn't masculine sounding. I then could not bring myself to enter the tunnel and walk through, it was a feeling like foreboding as the wind continued to rush in so I heeded the feelings. I may not have seen anything there but it's definitely a mysterious place.
Lashs (1 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-01-07)
My Boyfriend WAS a complete none believer and just comes along for "ghost hunting" trips with me. He heard the steam train aswell.
We went last night for the first time and while waiting until it was late enough (and spooky enough) to go, I did a little more research and found your forum. I did not mention it to him. We walked through the tunnel, stood at the end and walked back. Before reaching the middle he stopped and asked if I could hear anything. I heard what I can only describe as a deep mans voice, moaning, very spooky. I heard it 3 times. He explained what he was hearing to be a "steam train" asif it was coming at us. He said he felt very hot and felt the force of wind. I didn't hear it but it is strange that we both heard two, very clear noises at the same time. I then told him of the similar stories about the steam train, he was amazed.
Being so excited from the trip, I insisted on going back the next day. Nothing in the tunnel but at the end we found a stray cat. It was very noisy and wanted a lot of attention so followed us around everywhere for a while. That is until we entered the tunnel again. The cat would NOT go into the tunnel. It sat at the enterence, laid down and meowed for us none stop for about 15 minutes before retreating. I found that very interesting.
Needless to say, my boyfriend is now a believer. The tunnel is amazing and it's very cool to hear that so many people have experiences there that are very similar to others. Definately going back.
Thankyou guys very much for your stories. Made our experience a lot more exciting.
jodstar (1 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-06-07)
I know this is 1.5 years after your post but this is the first time I've come across this page...
My husband and I went to the tunnel in early 2004 late one night and your story is very similar to ours. We went into to the tunnel maybe only 25 metres when the ground started shaking and wind started blowing through the tunnel. My husband told me it was fine... Until a light came at the end of the tunnel and then the steam train horn sounded. We ACTUALLY heard it... The train was coming at us and we didn't stand our ground to see what would happen. We started running and it felt like I ran 100 metres to get out of the tunnel. I was jumping of to the side terrified that a train was coming. I was on sleeping tablets for a couple of months after that and I still won't talk about it much as it still 8 years later terrifies me. I'm nervous again just typing this because I have felt all these years that people would think my husband and I are idiots. We went and saw the lovely lady who used to run the Picton Tours and she said she had never heard of this form of activity before in the tunnel. Now I know we are not the only ones to be terrified by the ghost train...
Thanks for sharing:-)
brendan_the_winger (1 stories) (4 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-12-29)
lol thanks watersprite 😁 there should definitely be more stories after this experiance it has only sparked my interests even more... 😐
Nighthingale23 (60 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-11-09)
>_< ahh creepy!. Thanks for sharing your story, I think tunnels themselves are creepy enough!.
Watersprite (3 stories) (85 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2010-11-08)
Wow, that is a scary story! I'm surprised you all didn't soil yourselves. 😜 It sounds like similar stories I've read about ghost cars, where the person hears the vehicle that killed the person, rather than the "ghost" of the person him or herself. Thank you for sharing this, and be sure to write about any more things that happen to you. This might have been a short story, but it was extremely interesting.

Best wishes,

Watersprite ❤

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: