You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: Disorientation

Real Ghost Stories

Disorientation

 

I've never really thought of this as much of a ghost story until recently.

This incident happened whilst I was living at my grandparents' house. Not long after I had moved in, so about 3/4 years ago I was sleeping in my uncle's old room, who had unfortunately died a few years previously. I woke up in the middle of the night felling strange, kind of claustrophobic and disorientated so I reached out for the lamp on the bed side cabinet but I couldn't find it. This didn't bother me too much at first as my grandparents' house is on a farm so there are no streetlights and it's pitch black at nights. But then I started to panic because it felt like there wasn't anything behind me which is strange because the head board of the bed rests against the wall so there should have been something there but it felt like I was at the bottom of the bed, which I would have to be because if I was at the top of the bed there is a bedside cabinet on one side and a long set of drawers that stretch the length of the bed on the other and as I've already mentioned. I couldn't find the cabinet or the wall behind me. Eventually my grandmother heard me banging about and came to see what was going on. The bed makes a lot of noise when you move on it it's very old. She turned the lights on and I was sitting at the top of the bed where I should have felt the wall behind me and the cabinet and drawers on either side of me. It's only a single bed so I wouldn't have been far enough away from the sides of it to not reach either of these things. I thought that it was odd and that I'd felt strange because I'd panicked from not being able to see.

This seemed normal enough to me but as I've thought about it especially as I've only very recently moved to an area with street lights and lived most of my life in the country where it is pitch black at night that I can normally see at least a little bit at close range, but this was like blindness, and after my gran left the room I could see well enough to make out the bedside cabinet. I still only thought of this as possibly paranormal because I've only recently read about ghosts being able to things like this. Also if it helps me and several other family members have felt strange in that room it is occasionally very cold in there when the rest of the house is warm and my great gran saw a man standing behind her in the mirror as she was getting changed when she stayed in that room after I had moved out and she had broken her hip.

If it is haunted it's most likely not by someone who has lived there before as it's a relatively new house and my grandparents are the first people to live there, which means it's either my uncle, which I doubt because it feels menacing in their sometimes, or a spirit that has just stopped off there.

Any help on whether you think this is paranormal or just me having a weird but explainable experience would be greatly appreciated

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, ALBA-GU-BRATH, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
14 years ago (2010-10-22)
ALBA-GU-RATH - the first thing I want to share with you is that it's not always the house that is haunted. Just because a house is new, doesn't mean it can't have a ghost. Most times it is the land that the house is sitting on. You can read lots and lots of stories on here where the story is the same. Brand new house, first family to live in it, yet there is a ghost. The land has been there forever. Who knows what dwelling was on the land 100 years before or even 1,000 years before? Who knows what tragedies occured on the land? There doesn't even have to be a house on the land for a ghost to be there. There could have been an accident of some kind to cause a haunting to occur.

Second, I've had the same experience as you waking up disoriented. I'm not in any way trying to tell you this is not paranormal. Please don't take it that way. All I'm trying to do is suggest that there may be a normal explanation for it. Disorientation occurs in many different ways. A deep sleep and suddenly being woken is a typical one. A change in sleeping pattern is another. Being in a new environment can also bring about disorientation, which is what caused mine. I've honestly never heard about ghosts being able to manipulate surroundings like that, but I'm learning more every day about ghosts. So I'm not saying it isn't possible.

Again, please don't misunderstand my intentions. I'm not trying to convince you that what you felt isn't real. I'm glad you came to this site and submitted your story. This is a great place to seek help. You might find someone on here who has experienced exactly what you have and they found out that it was paranormal.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: