You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Old House And Her Many Voices

Real Ghost Stories

The Old House And Her Many Voices

 

In the year of 2001, I had just got married and was pregnant with my first child. My husband and I had just moved into his parent's house which was built in the late 1800's. This house had closets made of newspaper and to get upstairs you had to open the wall which was like a secret door. The original house consisted of the living room, kitchen, 1 downstairs bedroom, and 2 upstairs bedrooms. The other 2 rooms and bath had been added around 1960's.

Our bedroom was the one downstairs at that time, it was one morning around 3:00 am, my husband had to go to work, I was totally awake and had told him bye and kissed him. I was laying in the middle of the bed thinking about how I couldn't go back to sleep, our door was opened and all you could see was a little bit of light shining from the kitchen. As I turned my head to look towards the door I suddenly felt like I was being held down so tight I couldn't move or speak; my vision went black and I heard what sounded like a strong ringing in my ears.

I was doing everything I could to get up because I was scared out of my mind when all of a sudden in front of me but it felt like I was looking through my eyes at what appeared to be a dark, damp, concrete room which was very cold and a window coming towards me and right in front of me it shattered. I heard what sounded like a small child scream out mommy and no sooner than it started, everything was back to normal. My heart was racing and I jumped up as fast as I could and left out the room.

The next day I was afraid to say anything of fear of getting picked on, but where I get along so good with my mother-in-law I decided to tell her. As I was telling her she totally finished my story for me but not having the vision I saw. We both freaked out; it happened in the same room and same place in the bed. Later I had found out below that bedroom was a cellar that was so old they didn't use anymore, my husband told me about a window down there that looked like it had been broken out. When I saw this window (which is underground so we don't know what it was used for) I felt like crying.

Later I had remembered before I had married my husband I was there by myself and heard what sounded like 3 to 4 children laughing. I looked around to make sure it wasn't anyone who came over and I didn't think anything, or about it at that time. Not to long after my experience being held down we moved our bedroom upstairs.

We were coming home from church that night when we noticed coming down the driveway our bedroom light was on and our balcony door was opened. My husband thought I had left it opened and I told him no, so we thought someone was dropped off since there was no one else home and no vehicles. As we walked inside and up the steps all the lights were off and the door was shut and locked to balcony. We freaked out and down the steps we came.

Later that week we had went out and when we came home we had seen what looked like little reddish handprints on our ceiling stretching from the attic door to the side window in our bedroom. That night my husband had told me that his brothers and him and basically several cousins had experienced things. We cleaned the handprints off and they reappeared the next day and then just vanished that night.

I also had to stay alone one night which I slept downstairs because I was afraid. At around 3 in the morning I heard footsteps running back and forth across the upstairs when they became silent I heard what sounded like the pool balls slamming into the side holes of our pool table upstairs. Our house dog I know heard this because he got aggravated and was following the noise with his ears and head until it stopped.

That morning I went up to see and the pool balls were sitting perfectly in the triangle in the center of table. I would not stay there alone again.

Not long after that I was cleaning my room and I heard what sounded to be a little girl crying faintly saying mommy over and over, I got chill bumps and almost cried. I felt as if something was trying to tell me something.

I had never believed in paranormal events until I moved in that house.

In 2003 my mother-in-law bought my niece a doll from a yard sale which was the original Cricket doll. She had no batteries and I had laid it on the couch and her mouth started moving. My mother-in-law burned it because it didn't make sense how it had done that and she herself had experienced things so she felt like maybe we should get rid of it. It always felt like something was watching me too. I had found out that a man had died in the living room, and we had found several old things buried in the ground from the 1800 to 1900's, maybe this is why, but I was also told that once there was a board a homemade one played in that house.

In 2005, we had done been moved out for about 3 years. My husbands parents completely remodeled the house, changed steps to the other side of house and all and nothing was seen or heard since by them, I have only experienced a strong connection to the cellar for some reason whenever I go there, I have since then been trying to figure out some history behind this old house, and I have not experienced any other paranormal experiences any where else.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from West Virginia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, girlheldtightdown201, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

noahsdad86 (1 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-12-01)
Oh great, this freaky story is posted on my Birthday. Great story, very good writing
lulu1409 (8 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-11-13)
the doll thing freaks me out because if you ask me, all dolls are creepy and it freaks me out to see one of those really realistic dolls. Me and my cousin. Wow we had some experiences when we were younger, but I forgot them. All I remember is me locking the doll in the closet. Whatever it was, it must have been bad because years later we were opening a closet door to find some chairs and there was the doll. 😨 We ran all the way down and had to come back up to turn the lights of. My cousin, being brave, did it. I'm glad I'm one of the lucky ones with the bad memories erased.
girlheldtightdown201 (1 stories) (17 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-10-20)
daniel123, I know I have always been so curious about that cellar like something is down there like buried maybe or a clue to something that has been looked over no diggin has been done there since my husbands parents have owned it but I would love to investigate it and see, but I don't know if they would allow me to. Thanks for your comment. 😊
girlheldtightdown201 (1 stories) (17 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-10-20)
Darkness, I know I have heard that in most cases if you remodel it gets worse, I don't know how or why it actually hasn't occasionally my mother-in-law says she see's shadows but not much else, my father-in-law became a preacher in 2004, and he never did like anything like that talked about even though he admits he has seen and heard things unexplainable to, I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it but the activity isn't as bad that I'm aware of. Thanks for your comments. 😊
daniel123 (1 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2010-10-20)
maybee you shold get somebody in to look down the cellar or get your husband to just to see what is downthere 😕
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2010-10-19)
Wow that certainly is an active home, a lot of negative history seems to have taken place there. Would be great to be able to make an account from all your relatives your husband and yourself, about all the occurences and events witnessed then compile them together and see if you can see any similarities in events.
Either way I'm glad you have moved out, I'm surprised when you mentioned that your husbands parents did some remodelling that nothing else occured? This is strange because in most cases this tends to stir up more activity. 😕

Thanks for sharing your story.

Dan
girlheldtightdown201 (1 stories) (17 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2010-10-19)
I will read your story soon applerose, I have always found old houses interesting but quite scary, Yes my husband had experienced along with his brothers and a few cousins some things he later told me about such as voices and noices in the upstairs of the house, he said once that he and his cousin had just gone to bed and it was dark and all of a sudden there was lights flashing all over the bedroom he said that it looked like flashlights they ducked their heads under the covers when they realized there was no one else up there, same night his father had jumped onto them because he thought it was them running around upstairs, but it wasnt. And zzsgranny, the window is located on the side of the wall like in other words what would be other side of the window is nothing but the ground, on the front of house there is the entrance which has about 5 steps then you are in the cellar and the window is near back wall. And very glad to be moved out. There is another thing, up the mountain from the house is a field and an old abandoned log house, well my neice at that time was 4 she would go upstairs and set in front of this big wall mirror in one of the bedrooms and talk to it like in a conversation, so one day my brother-in-law asked her who she was talking to and she said this little girl who had a old dress on who played with her, well he asked her where she was from and she said you walk up the mountain and she lives in a house up there, she was 4 and never knew about the house, which again freaked us out, but luckly today she doesn't talk about anything like that and doesn't remember so she says. Sometimes I just think it could be the area being so old. 😕
applerose (13 stories) (139 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2010-10-18)
Ok that scared me - what a great story - I would have totally freaked out about the doll's mouth moving - I'm glad your mother-in-law burned the doll.
I think I would have moved out after the cellar incident.
Thank you for sharing this story - old houses always seem to have a ghost or two in it - when my story "1318 Smokey Road" gets published -please read - I too have had experiences with an old house -however, nothing like yours. 😨
Potterwatcher1997 (13 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2010-10-18)
That is a great story. Very interesting. So your husband had been experiencing weird things too?
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+1
13 years ago (2010-10-18)
GHTD: These old cellars were used to store vegetables, canned goods (like in the Mason jars), and dried meats in through the winter, as there were no refridgerators in the 1800's...I'm a bit confused as to where the window is: is it sitting on the floor, or is it actually in the wall?...

Some people believe that women are more sensative to the paranormal during pregnancy... Was your Mother-in-law pregnant at the time she had the same vision?...That would be way wierd! 😊...

Glad to hear you've moved out, though...

Great story, and thank you for posting ❤

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: