You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: 1318 Smokey Road

Real Ghost Stories

1318 Smokey Road

 

Before I get into the ghostly experiences that I had in this house and there were many, let me give you a history of the house.

This house had three parts to it - it had a rock covered middle that contained two rooms and two fireplaces and a door going out to the back porch- it was once used as a hunting cable over 100 years ago. On each side of this rock structure a wing was built. One wing contained two large rooms with a fireplace in one room (which contained a door that led to a side porch) - and the other wing contained five rooms (Kitchen w/fireplace and a door that led to the back porch; dining room (with a door leading to the back porch); bathroom and two bedrooms). My late husband, my two sons and I lived mainly in the biggest wing and middle area - the other two rooms were closed off during the winter months and one of the rooms was used for storage. The two wings were over 50 years old. And yes, your calculations are right - this house had 4 fireplaces; three doors leading to the back porch and a door leading to the side porch. Now 4 people died in or near the house, my husband being the last.

My husband (Geoff) of 6 years died from congested heart failure due to complications of diabetes. My husband died approximately 1 a.m. On March 14, 1999. I found him the next morning at approximately 8:00a.m having slept by him all night. Geoff's mother died in a hospital near the house in 1992. His brother was shot and died about a mile from the house and his father died in the house in 1955.

I moved in with Geoff in September 1993. I loved that old house - it was cozy and very roomy. I first started to notice cold drafts just in certain areas of the house and on several occasions felt a presence behind me (mostly in the kitchen). The presence would be so strong that I would talk to it - thinking it was Geoff or one of my children and then turn around to find no one there. I would shrug it off and go about what I was doing.

My oldest son (then 5) came to me and told me that there was a man standing at the foot of his bed the night before and it scared him so bad that he hid under the covers and went to sleep. When I told Geoff this he said that the house was haunted and that he had seen his mother, father and brother in the house one time or another. (I'm thinking "GREAT"!)

Through the years that we lived there (8) - I have seen shadows moving through the rooms and my sons were always hearing footsteps in their rooms.

One day Geoff and I were sitting in our bedroom watching TV when my two sons come running into our bedroom and said a man was at the door and wanted to know if we were at home.

**The door that the man came to was the door off from the rock structured part of the house - no one ever came to that door - there would have been no reason. As I have said before all doors with the exception of one led to the back porch and any visitors always knew to come to the kitchen door - because when you drove up to the house the first door that you would see would be the kitchen door. Off the back porch there were 12 acres of land and in front of the house (the road front) you could see far up the road each way.**

Anyway back to the story:

Geoff and I got up to see who it was - when we got to the door no one was there - Geoff went outside and went around the house and saw no one - we would have heard a car if this person had one and if this man was on foot we would have seen him before he got anywhere too far. That little incident puzzled me for a while.

As I mentioned my husband, Geoff died in that house. After a while I remarried and I shared the house with my new husband Mike. Mike and I were watching TV. One night in the rock structured part of the house when all of the sudden we both heard this breezy moan behind Mike's recliner. I looked at Mike but did not say anything. Mike looked at me and asked me if I heard that - I replied that I had and that it was Geoff. Mike said it was the wind but the wind was not blowing that night. I knew that it was Geoff I could feel his presence. Geoff was a very opinionated man - and I think he was showing his disapproval of Mike.

Right after Mike and I married we had his family over to the house for a cookout. Mike's grandmother pulled Mike to the side and told him that she was sorry but she would NEVER come back to our house because there were bad spirits in the house.

I'm sorry that this was such a long story - and this will be the longest of all my stories. Mike's grandmother was not the only one to "feel" uneasy in that house - several of my friends told me (after I sold the place and moved) that they too felt like something was there and that they would never figure out why I was not scared to stay there at night - but I had grown accustomed to all the shadows and other things - and it really never bothered me.

Other hauntings by applerose

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Georgia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, applerose, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
8 years ago (2015-10-28)
APPLEROSE! Welcome back! I saw this yesterday but was so busy I couldn't say anything but I am so happy to see you. I was thinking about you last week, wondering how you were 😊
applerose (13 stories) (139 posts)
+2
8 years ago (2015-10-27)
Hello my friends...I'm back!
It has been awhile and I do have more stories coming... But first let me comment on Soldier1... The house I lived in has been long gone... I moved out of the house some 14 years ago... The house its self has been torn down for a few years... There is now a two story colonial type house that sits futher back on the land... I work with the person that lives there and he has shared some interesting stories with me and as soon as I get permission, I will be writing and submitting them.
TTFN
APPLEROSE ❀
Soldier1 (5 stories) (10 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-05-15)
Wow, I pass by this house every day! I don't think I can see it from the road though. But, it is interesting to read a local story.
JulesVNess (3 stories) (14 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-12-15)
applerose, I so enjoyed this story you really know how to do it! Jules ❀
sm30223 (1 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-26)
Thanks Applerose for your stories. Looking forward to many more. I had experiences when I lived in Fl.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+2
13 years ago (2011-02-09)
applerose - there are a lot of people, including my immediate family members, who STRONGLY DISAGREE with my feelings about this. But what the heck! When have I ever backed down from what I feel πŸ˜†. There's not a doubt in my mind it's your dad. Why would he stop "checking up" on you guys now? Just because it's been 20 years? Naw, his work's not done. He's still your dad and their grandpa. Death doesn't change that ❀
applerose (13 stories) (139 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-02-09)
I wanted to add - that the Man at the door - once my sons described him to me - sounded like my father - I feel like it was my dad - checking on his grandsons once again.
applerose (13 stories) (139 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2010-11-01)
Miracles - thank you for your suggestion on the journal - There are many stories that are now coming back to me that I have not thought about in a VERY long time - I'm now just trying to remember details - then submit them. Thank you again 😊
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
14 years ago (2010-10-20)
applerose - shew, I was hoping you'd get that! LOL!

Also, the Journal? Just a small piece of advice, if you don't mind. I've found, through trial and error, that typing it out works better for me. That way it's easier to edit. It's amazing how many times I've gone back and revised (missed words, grammer, etc), updated, etc. Typing just makes it easier. For what it's worth πŸ˜‰

The Journal is also a way to retain my sanity!
applerose (13 stories) (139 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-10-20)
I want to thank everyone for their comments.
DCinAZ - I also feel that the movie industry have made people think that "GHOST" are to be scary and that spirits are to throw you around or throw things at you -while this may happen (yikes) I'm sure glad that it does not or has not happen to me. 😨

SuperHBK - It has been 11 years since Geoff has past (does not seem like its been that long) I have not felt his presence since I have sold and moved out of the house - now as far as him still roaming his house - I do not know - the house has been empty since I have moved and it is now falling in.
The person who bought the property from me just wanted the property not the house. So the house is now condemed. 😒

Miracles: I will do that - Since I have been submitting these stories I have really started to remember some things that have happen to me in the past - I will get a notebook today - and start documenting backward style 😁
...and I'm sorry that my story did not scare you - LOL (WINK) - it would not let me put another emotion on here so there you go - LOL
DCinAZ (guest)
+1
14 years ago (2010-10-20)
applerose, What a lovely story this is, and my condolences to you and yours losing Geoff. I can relate with your experiences and the way you address them as I too never felt in danger, just surprised. It seems these days more people tend to feel fear first and look for a negative conotation to what they've experienced when usually there is a simple explanation. I blame it on the movie industry. Fear sells and reality, even though it is still fantastic to us, to them would be too mundane. That fear is then passed down to the next generation. It's too bad. But as long as there are sites like this one that can help others come to terms with their own experiences I still have hope. I love your story for just that reason, you show it doesn't always have to be a negative. At least that's what I took away from it. Thanks again. 😊
SuperHBK (6 stories) (63 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-10-20)
Applerose... Great story, I enjoyed it very much and the way that you described the house was cool.

Firstly sorry about your late husband... But have you ever thought about it as why he is still stuck in this world? Isn't there any way to find out?

Secondly, it puzzles me about the "guy" who was standing at the door asking you if you were home... Now that's plain creepy. Did he's father build that house? If not it could be some one from the past,

Any way thanks for sharing

HBK ❀
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+2
14 years ago (2010-10-19)
applerose - I've been thinking about this story on and off all day. First, I really enjoyed this story even though it didn't scare the crap outta me πŸ˜†!

Second, the more I thought about it, the more I agree with cosmogal. I think what your grandmother-in-law sensed is simply disapproval of your new family. Maybe not that you remarried, although there could very well be that. But that this family was in their home, Geoff's home. This unwelcome feeling from living people would make anyone feel uncomfortable. Imagine how it would make someone feel when they couldn't see anyone, but could only feel that they were unwelcome. Hope I made a little bit of sense here πŸ˜†.

Anyway, obviously there wasn't any harm intended at all. They didn't throw plates or food at them or slam doors or any of the typical "get out of my house" things, right? And maybe Geoff got a kick outta trying to scare Mike?

Your advice to girlhelddowntight is advice I've given many times. It's not too late for you either. I didn't start my Journal until 2002. I just kind of worked my way backward. πŸ˜‰

By the way, we like long stories. Yours are very well written, so the length of the story is not a problem at all.
applerose (13 stories) (139 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-10-19)
cosmogal: - I thought the same thing - I felt that Mike's grandmother felt uncomfortable - therefore she misunderstood her feelings and thought there were evil spirits in the house.
As I said from my other story (Hospital Ghost) things that I have experienced - have not been scary - as I look back - I never felt as if I were in danger - just when those things did happen it kind of freaked me out for a second or two.
Thank you taking the time to read my story - take care.

Girlheldtightdown: Thank you - you say you are experiencing some things in the house that you live in -If I were you I would get a notebook and start writing it down. It is very important to document - I wished I had done so in the past years.
And the house was very big - I loved it - even if it did come with ghost πŸ˜†
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
+3
14 years ago (2010-10-19)
Thanks for sharing another great story. The way you described the house sounds so beautiful and cozy. I'm curious as to why your current husband's grandmother said that the spirits were bad. If the spirits were those of your late husband, and his family members they might have been a little disapproving and made them feel uncomfortable. However, I don't think they really wanted to do anything to hurt them. 😊 ❀
girlheldtightdown201 (1 stories) (17 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-10-19)
that is a good story, it's amazing how it feel like sometimes there is someone in the room with you, I felt like that in the house we lived in. That house sounds huge too. 😊
applerose (13 stories) (139 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-10-19)
Type-O -- it was a hunting cabin - not cable - sorry about that. 😒

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: