You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: A Stormy Night

Real Ghost Stories

A Stormy Night

 

When I was younger, back in the mid-seventies, my husband and I lived in an apartment complex. We were fairly well acquainted with the couple who lived above us. They were an attractive couple, but their relationship had been a volatile one to say the least. They fought constantly over any and everything and from time to time, they'd even been known to take shots at each other with a snub nosed thirty eight pistol the man owned.

One night, what I'd feared for months happened; they got into one of their heated arguments, but this time it ended when the woman shot the man to death with his own gun. The man fell to his death on my porch, right in front of my front door. No charges were brought against her after the woman pleaded self-defense.

Less than a week after the man's death, she began to behave irrationally. She became jittery and claimed to have seen the man in her bedroom on more than a few occasions. Once, she'd even said she saw him climbing up the wall outside her bedroom window. Less than two months later, the woman packed up and moved hastily out of the apartment and no one ever saw her again.

Then, one night about six months after the man had gotten killed, my husband and I were entertaining friends, among them had been my husband's uncle who'd been legally blind since his early teens. It was late summer and as will happen in summer, a fierce thunder storm struck, with plenty of lightning, high winds and blowing rain. The storm lasted for all of twenty minutes. However, the festive mood left with the storm and everyone prepared to leave for home. My husband and I walked to the door with our guests. I was the first to reach the door, only to find that something was blocking the screen door. But I couldn't see anything that could have been responsible for it. After pushing hard a few times, the door finally opened and I stepped out onto the rain drenched porch, and saw that something was wrong.

Even though the entire porch was soaked, the spot in front of my door was bone dry and what was even more eerie, was the fact that the dry spot was in the shape of a human being, from the shape of the head down to the feet, and it was lying in the exact position my neighbor had fallen when his wife shot him.

No one wanted to believe it even though several people witnessed this weird sight. To validate it for himself, my husband's uncle leaned down and felt along the dry spot with his hand, and it left him speechless.

We moved out of our apartment several months later, but until we did, occurrences that could not be explained happened in the apartment. I knew it was my neighbor. He wasn't ready to go and until this day, I believe that he still haunts that particular apartment.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Alabama

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, wingwalker, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

lastinline (5 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-04-07)
Definitely a goose bump story. What's even creepier is her seeing him CLIMBING up the side of the building. Gives me chills writing that! I'd be out of there, too.

Thanks for the great story.
CountryGirl400 (17 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-03-12)
It is really hard to creep me out and I wasn't creeped out until I imagined what that must have been like for you guys... I mean, with the human-like figure on your porch and stuff. That's really creepy. Thanks for sharing your story wingwalker! ❤
erin19 (1 stories) (41 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-03-10)
Thats really scary! The wife should of gone to jail for doing that!
Pete16 (2 stories) (49 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-01-14)
Now THAT is a creepy ghost story! Thanks for sharing, wingwalker. I don't get chills from many stories I've read on here, but this one definitely got to me.
Laurenthegreat (1 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-10-27)
*goose bumps* I would have been so creeped out! He should have followed his ex-girlfriend wherever she went. But... Wow... It really makes you think about the afterlife and the imprints people can leave behind them.

❤ Your Big Save Cashier/Friend ❤
Trix (14 stories) (407 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-10-22)
Wow...this was very creepy. Thanks for sharing. It's amazing how the dry spot appears. Maybe he is trying to give a message with this dry spot shaped in his body that was actually laid there when he died. To be honest with you if I lived there, I would be scared to open the door. I would also have moved. Take care and have a nice day. Trix ❤
Melime (10 stories) (64 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-10-20)
Truly scary story, but amazing! I've never heard of such a thing with the dry spot. Poor man tho, like some of the others said, he probably didn't know he was dead. I hope his spirit have found some rest by now.
Lexish (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-10-20)
Well, sheesh. I would have wanted to move out pronto... I have experienced strange things but like what someone else said, it's a lot scarier to me you know it's the result of violent death. Out of curiosity did you ever call the cops when the shots were happening before this incident?
DCinAZ (guest)
+2
13 years ago (2010-10-20)
Well, I'm definetly creeped out now. To tell you the truth, I don't know how the woman stayed as long as she did. It had to have taken a toll on you too. It's such a sad state of affairs. My prayers tonite will include these sad souls. 😢
aussiedaz (19 stories) (1565 posts)
+3
13 years ago (2010-10-20)
Wow!...What a story, I would suggest this man has not come to terms with his death and doesn't know he is dead... He has spiritually projected the night of his death and is caught between two worlds... A traumatic death like his could take time for him to snap out off, even some 30 years later this man could still be haunting himself or others over this tragic event...
30stones (2 stories) (13 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-10-19)
When ever we have severe lightening storms around here, ghostly activity definitely picks up! That's the main part of your story that caught my attention...
sandeescare (2 stories) (12 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-10-19)
Amazing story! So your opinion, do you think the couple, the women, did she kill him on purpose? Or self defense...?
troyarn (5 stories) (479 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2010-10-19)
Thanks for the story, wingwalker. This one was really creepy. I'm almost glad there is no photo available of the dry spot... It might have freaked me out a bit. I have to say this story will stick with me for some time. Thanks for sharing it.
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2010-10-19)
Wow that was some story. Very creepy and bone chilling. I would have moved out too. Would you happen to know if it was 6 months to the day of when the man died? That is so amazing how the only dry spot on the porch was right where he fell and in the shape of a body no less. I am so freaked out right now. 😨
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
+3
13 years ago (2010-10-19)
How sad that these two lives ended up this way. Him to his death, her living the rest of her life with the consequences of her actions.

Often when there is a violent end to someones life, it is said they may have a hard time crossing over or that they may never cross over because of the violent way they died and /or because they have left so much un-done in their life on this earth. I will pray that both find peace.

Thanks for sharing!
God Bless!
BadJuuJuu (guest)
+4
13 years ago (2010-10-19)
There are not many stories on here that really give me the creeps, but this one did. I usually have the "Ghosts are people too" attitude, but I would've run screaming from that apartment and never looked back. Hauntings are much more frightening when you know the ghost is a result of a violent death.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: