You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: Sweet Little Sister, That's My Little Sister

Real Ghost Stories

Sweet Little Sister, That's My Little Sister

 

This will be my first submission and I hope you like it.

Three years ago I got one of those phone calls everybody hates to get. The phone rings and it's around 1:00pm, daytime calls are answered normally without a second thought but just as I was reaching for the handset I paused. Just a gut feeling from out of nowhere froze my arm mid-reach for a split second, and then it was gone.

My sister Mary gives me the bad news, our youngest sister Sheila was in ICU at a hospital in San Diego and wasn't expected to make it through the night. She had been checked in several days earlier and no one in the family had been notified until that morning. She was on life support but fading fast. Sheila was an alcoholic who'd burned a lot of bridges and I think she just gave up and was trying to fade away quietly, no drama, no embarrassing questions to answer, and certainly no lectures from people who'd stopped answering her phone calls long ago. The only two sisters she kept in touch with were now on the phone, 500 miles from each other, making promises to get there before she went. We hung up and before I could set the handset down it rang again, my oldest daughter, getting back from lunch (she teaches high school English) and wanted to call and say hi. She never calls me from school, she's much too busy. I let her know what was happening, she volunteered to drive. I accepted and we set our pick up time, hung up and got moving.

At times like this you don't think you move. Grabbed my youngest as she came in and threw an overnight bag at her and she packed. I called my husband at work; he'd stay behind with the animals and business. By the time we hit the road it was 6:00pm. Angie (oldest) driving, her partner Ruth riding shotgun, Clair (youngest) and myself in the backseat. Now Angie is a stickler for rules and laws, no gray areas with her, ever. Speed limits may as well be one of the commandments as far as she's concerned, and I wouldn't have it any other way. I want to get where I'm going in one piece thank you. (My mother was the worst driver, there's a tree in my home town that my mom hit 4 times in 4 different cars).

We headed south from Tucson to San Diego, changed from interstate 10 to 8 and didn't stop for anything but gas. Got out, stretched, used the rest rooms. As I was washing my hands I looked up into the rest stop mirror and I froze. Looking back at me was Sheila. I had her wavy long hair (mine is straight) and pointy chin. I stood there staring when as Angie walked in and sees me and she says "Mom, you have Aunt Sheila's hair!", "I know, let's get moving". We jumped back into the car, pulled away and right away we're slowed to a crawl, someone up ahead had gotten the idea that it was OK to make a U-turn on the interstate. Why me Lord? Well, no injuries, just a mess of sheetrock they were hauling in their 'barely legal' pickup truck decided to make a break for it and ended up adding another 45min or more driving time to our already stressful trip.

By the time we finally got back up to the speed limit it was after 11:00pm. The entire time listening to Angie and Ruth's CDs. When they started discussing what they'd play next I begged for the radio and they gave in. Searching for a station in the middle of the desert in the middle of the night you take what comes in the best and that happened to be an Oldies station out of San Diego. As soon as the commercials were finally over and the DJ comes back on the air, this is EXACTLY what he said "And now folks, here is the number one song this week from way back in 1962!". Before the music began Angie says "It's Aunt Sheila" and then "Sweet Little Sheila" started to play... I looked at the dashboard clock and it was midnight. Clair said "Mom?". As we listened with tears streaming down our faces, Angie pulled the car over and stopped. The song ended, we all stepped out and looked up to the beautiful stars, and they just seemed so much closer and brighter that night. A few minutes passed and Angie's cell phone rang, she answered, listened, then replied "Yes, we already know", and hung up.

Once back on the road, we continued on to San Diego. Sheila passed at 11:41pm September 7th, 2007. Rest in Peace my Sweet Little Sheila, rest in peace.

Other hauntings by Javelina

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Arizona

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Javelina, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

AppleSauce27 (guest)
+1
10 years ago (2013-11-11)
I think we all know when "it" has happened. No doubt she wanted to say one last goodbye. Have you experienced anything further from her?
22aya (10 stories) (11 posts)
+2
10 years ago (2013-11-01)
This is still one of my faves!

Came by to haunt ygs for the night. Although I don't recognize anyone, happy halloween!

~ (aka aya22)
Gayatrishiva (3 stories) (121 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-09-21)
Yes Love transcends all barriers and it can reach you whereever you are... My bro passed away on 12th september 2006. Both of our experiences are almost similar dear (( ((hugzzzzz)) ) )
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-09-05)
[at] Lakota,
Thank you, and yes, that love transcends all things. It is in this short time we spend in these bodies that we make such connections that I believe we take with us into our next lives. And all the love we collect goes with us to give us a good start in the next leg of the journey.

Jav ❤
Lakota73 (5 stories) (108 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-09-05)
Javelina,

You're welcome. Your sister may have passed over, but I'm sure the love between you siblings will never be lost.

Lakota73
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-09-03)
[at] Lakota,
Thank you for the compliment, coming from you, it means alot.

Jav
Lakota73 (5 stories) (108 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-09-02)
Javelina,

What a poignant story. Very, very moving.

I believe it was your sister's way of saying goodbye and she was going to a better and more peaceful place.

Great read and beautifully narrated.

Lakota73
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-09-01)
[at] Sywren,
Thank you for your kind words. It was an adventure, that is for sure. And until you just mentioned it, I hadn't thought about it being the ladies of the family. But you are right, that's exactly what it was. That thought brings me more comfort than you know.
Thank you again and welcome to YGS.

Jav ❤
Sywren (29 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-09-01)
I'm sure most of the people who have read this have tears in their eyes, like I do, and had laughed (in good nature) at your mother driving into the same tree, like I did. That was a beautiful story. The ladies of the family traveling together to say good-bye to a loved one. Interesting how in times of tragedy people come together in such a way. I'm sorry for your loss, and thanks for sharing.
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-08-05)
Texasroper,
Now you're making me cry too. It's how it hits you inside, how close they get the very heart of you, that's how it felt for me too.

Jav ❤
Texasroper (5 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-08-05)
And one night I was laying in bed and I felt the strongest thing that my brother had touched my heart cause I have never experienced such a feeling of love for my brother that I did that night it hard to explain but I know that it was him and he was saying good by to ME it's funny how our relatives can communicate to us from the other side I'm a firm believer that it is real
Texasroper (5 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-05)
I have a picture of when my brother was dying and my sisters are standing around him and you can see the picture is distorted and you can perfectly see a hand on my brothers shoulder and a face I know it was my dad and mom the suit we buried my dad in was weakly visible I know they were waiting for him to pass he also drank his self to bad health and died from it do I know there are relatives and other spirits that visit us no body seen it until I pointed out to them and they couldn't believe what they were seeing
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-05)
Thank you texasroper, you are a true gentleman to admit it. ❤

Jav 😊
Texasroper (5 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-05)
Jav Sheila came to say good by that night such a story a grown man Wiff years
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-01)
[at] thenpea5,
Thank you for reading and commenting, that was very sweet of you. ❤

Jav 😊
thenpea5 (20 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-06-29)
i am so sorry for your lost god bless her and you and your family... 😢 😭 😭
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-06-14)
Spider,
I honestly don't know what to think about what happened in the restroom that night. It is still a mystery to me. I do feel her good bye came with the song.
As soon as we reached San Diego and met up with my other three sisters (two more sisters were unable to make it at all), that is when we told them what we experienced. As far as I know, to this day my sisters have never said anything about experiencing Sheila's departure in the same way we had. But you see, they were with her at the time of her passing. Which is why, I believe, she came to us the way she did that night.
Thank you for reading my sister's story.

Jav ❤
SpiderZA (2 stories) (81 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-06-13)
Hi Jav

Do you think the rest stop thing was your sister saying her goodbyes? Did the other two sisters experience anything similar when you told them? Or did you just keep it quiet at the time?

Belated condolences
Spider
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-07)
To Lori and Hope,
Thank you for reading and commenting. I still cry when I read this myself. I miss her so.

Jav ❤
Haunted_cleaner (7 stories) (23 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-06-02)
I am sitting here balling my eyes reading this story.
Thanks for sharing.
You are truly a special person.
Lori
Hope619 (1 stories) (16 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-06-02)
I got chills when I was reading this. It brought tears to my eyes. 😭 Thank you.

-Lex
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-16)
mind_wide_open,
Thank you for reading. I know in my heart she came to say goodbye that night. Everyone in the car felt it too.

Jav ❤
mind_wide_open (1 stories) (14 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-05-16)
I really liked this story. Gives me a sense of peace that I am not alone. I have published my first story but it has not been posted yet. Eventually I will write about my eerie connection to my loved ones. I honestly think Sheila came to tell you goodbye and to see you one last time. She gave you peace before the storm of planning. What love you must have had!

Sorry for your loss,

Mind_wide_open ❤ ❤
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-05-16)
Here's the song I heard that night.

Http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5miIR3Iv6MA&feature=related

Jav
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-16)
Thank you shellzy. The song still gets me. But the tree and my mom? I never thought of it that way, but you could be right about that. Interesting... 😉

Jav ❤
shellzy (8 stories) (218 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-05-16)
Hi Jav

Sorry I'm a little slow on the uptake of your story, I know you posted it quite some time ago. I absolutely loved it, I got a shiver down my spine when you said the name of the song that came on while you were driving.

P.S Your mum and the tree must have had some kind of magnetic thing going on 😆 that's kind of creepy within itself! 😆 ❤
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-16)
Thank you for reading it Rocker. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Jav
Rocker0897 (1 stories) (12 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-05-11)
That was an amazing story thanks for telling it I hope she rests in peace.
Mannerizms (10 stories) (172 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-05-06)
I am sorry to hear about your sister, I think that losing any close family is the hardest thing ever. I know that drive to San Diego (8 hours of killing time in open desert YUCK!) Now you and your family know she is a better place wherever that may be:)

Blessed be my friend ❤
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-04-21)
No worries GGF, all I know is there just can't be a heaven without our loved ones near. And my dogs are family. There's just no way around it. ❤

Jav 😊

I have also seen them dear. It took a while, but I see them. ❤

Read previous comments

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: