You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Non Human Entities :: The Thokolosh

Real Ghost Stories

The Thokolosh

 

What I am about to tell you happened in Kroonstad. Most of my experiences happened there. Before I continue with my story let me give you a short description of this creature. The thokolosh is a demon type of creature, it's very small (about the same size as a 9 year old) its body is very round, in other words kind of fat. He is half man half goat,... Now I know this is going to sound far fetched but he has the legs of a goat, stomach of a man and the head of a bull. His whole body consists of hair except for his stomach. Further more the thokolosh is known to "attack" the African People. I hope you have an idea how this thing looks like.

Now to my story. It was the 12th of January 2009 when we went to Kroonstad for a family visit, upon arriving in Kroonstad we sat out on my uncle's farm, that's where the visit always takes place. We arrived on the farm at about 2pm that afternoon, it was nice weather but in the far distance you could see thunder clouds approaching. We all started to unpack and went to sit down in the living room. All of a sudden my mother flew up, pale as a blanket in the face and started to cry. We were all confused and asked her what happened and she claimed to have seen this creature running into the cornfields. (If you sit in the living room you can see only a portion of the cornfields). The servant that was working for my uncle was an xhosa (its a African culture) living in the maidens quarter outside in the yard. Her name was Lisbeth. She was a very hard working lady. So after we managed to calm my mother down we heard a terrible scream like someone was being attacked. My uncle ran to the vault, took out his shotgun and ran outside. (In that area there are a lot of wild animals running around. There was once a leopard spotted on his farm)

Thinking that Lisbeth was being attacked by an animal he ran straight for her quarters. I shortly followed and my dad wasn't far behind. When we got there Lisbeth was in tears and my uncle asked her in her language what was wrong. She then told him that she saw the tokolosh.

I started to laugh because to me it was hilarious and that stories about the tokolosh was just stories. So I went and made fun about it. I told Lisbeth that if she doesn't stop crying the tokolosh would come for her. And to this I swear when I finished making fun of her something threw a rock at me hitting the back of my head. When I turned around there it was. I was looking straight into the tokolosh. It stared at me for about 20sec, and turned around and disappeared into the corn fields.

That night I couldn't sleep. I was thinking of what I saw, and I know that everyone saw the tokolosh, so it wasn't my mother's imagination. Lisbeth came knocking on the door and I went to open the door and asked her why is she knocking this late at the door. I called out to her and said,"Oe Zwani wena?" meaning what do you want... She said that there is something in her room and its making very bad noises, so I took the shot gun and called my elder brother, he went with me (believe me I was so scared). When we arrived at her quarter I pushed the door open and heard the same noises as Lisbeth heard. I flipped the light switch on to find snakes under her bed. Now this is strange because snakes can't get into the quarters. We called my father and he helped remove the snakes. It was already passed midnight, when we heard a high pitched laugh from the side of the cornfields. The following morning all of us was dead tired (we didn't sleep) we called the high priest from Lisbeth's church. She belonged to the ZCC (Zion Christian Church). He came and said that the tokolosh is present. He did his ritual by removing all the negatives and pouring positive forces over the farm.

We soon discovered a body of an animal that was being used for voodoo rituals buried under the quarters. The priest then explained to us how the setup worked. He said that if some one wanted bad things to happen to people he merely have to take the body of a monkey cut of the hands and head, and place it under the house, garden or any place close to the person he wants to hurt. And then he must drink a cup full of the blood of that animal, and "that's how the tokolosh is being summoned".

People, I know you will find it hard to believe, but please believe me, I have witnessed it for my self.

Thanks for reading.

Other hauntings by SuperHBK

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from South Africa

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, SuperHBK, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

jzinck (4 stories) (54 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-12-08)
Creepy story... I hope I never experience something that looks like that!
Trix (14 stories) (407 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-11-01)
Hi SuperHBK, thanks for sharing this magnificent story with us. You are well gifted to have seen it. Not everybody has the opportunity to see something like that. I never saw a thokolosh in my life, but they do exist. I think it must be shocking to see one. My mother had a servant who slept with her bed on bricks. She said that the thokolosh won't bother you when your bed is a certain height. I'm glad you and your family could manage to get rid of it. I like your stories, they are very interesting. Enjoy your day. Trix ❤
SuperHBK (6 stories) (63 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-10-29)
Good Morning... There is a lot of speculation on how the tokolosh looks like, but the one I saw was half goat half man. If you google legends of South Africa you will find our local ghost stories and the you will also read about the tokolosh.

The tokolosh is an evil spirit, its hard to say who and what wants to hurt me or my family but whom ever it is, they can try harder. Thanks for reading my story
logan (3 stories) (222 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-10-28)
Fasinating...I did look up all the links submitted by my fellow memebrs and it was very interesting to read. Thanks guys...
bluesman87 (14 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-10-28)
Also from Africa, had a friend in school, who's dad was supposed to be a sangoma (witch doctor, traditionally all his family were), this girl told me that when he refused to heed the call of his ancestors, the rest of the clan sent a tokolosh after them. She was crying as she told us this. From what I gathered its very similar to a poltergeist. Also another african creature that's interesting to google is "pinky pinky" http://www.aquiziam.com/pinky-monster.html - from the age of 6 until I was grown up I honestly believed I saw this thing in the bathroom at school. I never heard of it before then. When I grew up I doubted my self. I sounds crazy believing that.
flamingschizoid (22 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-10-28)
UH GOD PEOPLE STAY AWAY FROM CORNFIELDS!

Anywhoo,

SuperHBK,do you have any idea who might have wanted to hurt you, your family or lizbeth if the curse was aimed at her?
TygerDall (2 stories) (29 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-10-27)
Wow what a story! Kbums that link was pretty weird! I love hearing local stories on creatures from Africa. Very well told SuperHBK! I will try to google Thokolosh.

I have found this like for Thokolosh: http://www.vanhunks.com/tokoloshe1.html
Http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tikoloshe
It seems to be a water sprite that likes living with a kind of Nile monitor lizard. Interesting and compelling! Oh and the article said that they are linked with UFO's too.
TygerDall (2 stories) (29 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-10-27)
Wow what a story! Kbums that link was pretty weird! I love hearing local stories on creatures from Africa. Very well told SuperHBK! I will try to google Thokolosh.
MrsHungry (3 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-10-27)
Thanks for the story, very interesting! And thanks for the link Kbums-that is SO weird! Would love to hear if this is what SuperHBK is talking about...
Kbums (1 stories) (5 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2010-10-27)
I think I know what your talking about and I believe there are pictures of it. Let me see if I can find the link... Found it.

Http://www.chilloutpoint.com/odd_world/strangest-creature-found-on-earth.html

Took me about 10 minutes but I found the link. Ok, now that I checked out this picture again, it doesn't really look like what you described but it's kind of similar. Tell me what you think.
TheRisingTide (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-10-27)
Very interesting story, is there any lore on what the thokolosh wants; its reason for harrassing/attacking people?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: