You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: My Mother's Bedroom

Real Ghost Stories

My Mother's Bedroom

 

My mother died awhile ago, at the age of 65. We sold her house a few months later (the house we all grew up in). One day soon after that my brother called me wanting to get together to talk about something.

We met for lunch. He told me how the new home owners called him to relate a story. They asked if our mother was short, gray haired woman, which she was. Their children (ages 3 and 5) asked why a short gray haired woman was sitting on their bed, they had my mom's old bedroom. The kids were not scared; they saw her plain as day.

This message from my brother sort of bothered me for awhile on two points.

1. If there is an afterlife, why is my mom hanging out in her room?

2. Why did she not present herself to us?

My mother had a story of her own. She told this story to my wife. When my older brothers were just 3, one of my mom's many brothers was on his death bed (asbestosis). She went up to visit him (many hours away) and told him she could not come back for the funeral, so he would have to visit her after his death (told with a humorous tone).

A few months later, on a very hot and humid night, at approximately 3:00am or so, my mom heard steps in the hall. She figured it may be one of the kids out of bed. As she entered the hallway, she felt it suddenly go cold and felt a hand on her shoulder from behind her. She knew right then it was her brother but was too scared to turn around. After a few minutes, the cold went away, as the hand did and she turned around. Nothing there. She went back to bed.

The next morning she received a call from her sister living way up north with her dying brother. She told my mom how their brother died in the night the same time my mom felt the hand in the hallway.

Coincidence?

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Canada

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, GG99gg, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Thedarkchocolate (8 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-11-01)
I like how family never disappears even after life. 😁 ❤
Did they describe how she was feeling though? Like, did they say if she looked angry or something?
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
13 years ago (2010-10-31)
Could be. We ARE dealing with the Unknown. Which is why I wrote in there "perhaps" several times. I was answering the straight up questions in the story line as I really see nothing that seems to point to anything other than the innocence of her returning to her earthly home.
Mistaken location? Perhaps. OR she just did not know the house was no longer hers, nor in the family.
This is ALL a puzzle wrapped in mystery around an enigma. There are no concrete scientific FACTS to back up ANY of this. Just firm beliefs in the processes.
Thank you, DCinAZ.
DCinAZ (guest)
+2
13 years ago (2010-10-31)
WB, I get it. A puzzle wrapped in a mystery wrapped in an enigma? Now that would give a person some pause. Sometimes all it takes it to read the story thoroughly folks to realize what the authors question was refering to. I make the same mistake far more than I'd like to admit. But I feel the reason her brother came to her is because it was discussed beforehand whereas the opposite applies for her going to them.
whitebuffalo (guest)
+1
13 years ago (2010-10-30)
I know you wrote that this bothered you for a while, but I really think you are still wondering. It is my experience that our loved ones KNOW what frightens us, or what we would doubt. It really sounds, to me, like your Mother showed herself to these unrelated children perhaps for a few reasons.
1. Children just seem to be naturally more receptive to the Other Side.
2. They did not KNOW her. HOW could the parents have made you believe their children SAW your MOTHER, if they HAD met her in life?
3. Power in numbers. She did not just appear to ONE person. She had witnessES.
4. The house was SOLD after her death, just a few short months after. Spirits do NOT work on "real time clocks". They no longer HAVE to.
THAT thought aside, and in answer to that second question:
5. How would she have known the house was sold? She was Traveling at the time. Did anyone TELL her? Perhaps she thought she was going to visit the old home, maybe run into one of YOU reminiscing, and here she finds a totally different family IN HER HOME. Perhaps, lost in the confusion of THAT, she did not know WHERE to go to FIND any of you.
Her very own brother was able to get HIS message through after his own death, why would it not be possible for her to let YOU all know she was well and happy?
Wado (Thank you)
BadJuuJuu (guest)
 
13 years ago (2010-10-30)
I think biblefreeme has hit on something with the residual theory. Http://www.the-atlantic-paranormal-society.com/articles/general/ghostsresidual.html a brief but interesting description of residual hauntings. I'm sure your mother is happy in the Otherworld, and that this image is a just a recording of something she did while alive.
amberspirit (4 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-10-29)
Maybe she thought she would scare you or could not muster enough energy in the beginning? Maybe spirits must store up energy or learn how to use their "powers". Maybe the energies of the small children were enough for her to manifest. I too think she was attached to the house and that is why she may have stayed behind. After your mother's passing, how much time did you actually spend in her home? Was there enough time in the home for a possible encounter? Were you open to the concept of the spirit world at that time?
biblefreeme (2 stories) (137 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2010-10-29)
it may not actualy be your mums spirit it may just be a residual haunting does she comunicate with the children or just sit there if she does comunicate with them it may just be that she likes them and is curious as to who is living in her house just because she pops back doesn't mean shes not happily living in the spirit world
roseinbloom (4 stories) (117 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-10-28)
Dear GG, no one really knows why, some people are still present after their death. As mentioned by lauren318, some may have some unfinished business or may not relaize that they have passed on. Did your mother, die of natural causes, or suddenly, such as in an accident? Or, maybe, it is just a case of resdiual haunting, you know, like a record being played over and over, thur time, because such behavior, was played with frequently when alive.
However, if your mother died, without expecting to, she may need help in crossing over to the, "light".
You did not mention, whether or not the new home owners asked for your help or soulution in the matter.
By the way, thank you for sharing your story. ❤ 😊
chingvang559 (42 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-10-28)
Same experience here...

My granny passed away in our apartment and years later when we moved into a house, the new owners tell stories of their kids seeing our granny sitting in the bed or in the bathroom.

I personally believe that spirits can be wherever they are needed, reason why we still see dead loved ones around.
lauren318 (1 stories) (23 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-10-28)
WOW amazing story... In my opinion no I don't think it is coincidence... No idea why your mom would be hanging behind unless she had some unfinished business or is attached to the house obviously

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: