You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Orbs / Lights / Mists :: The Bicycle Light

Real Ghost Stories

The Bicycle Light

 

This happened in the early 1980's in Natal. My family was very close. We used to gather every Christmas. My uncle and my aunt were renting this big farmhouse in Natal. That year all the family was invited to spend Christmas with them. We were all very excited when we saw the house because it was such an interesting place. It was designed and built by a guy from overseas. This place was huge, it had 28 rooms. My uncle didn't even have enough furniture to occupy the whole house. It was like a real farm without electricity. The hallway was long and wide and paraffin lamps were hanging onto the walls for light at night. In the kitchen there were a coal stove. In front of the house was a long big stoop when exit the front door. At the backside when you exit the kitchen there was also a big stoop.

One night my aunt had to go and buy milk from the neighbour's farm. As usual all our children jumped into the car to go along. My brother sat in front in the passenger seat with one of my sisters on his lap. My aunt was the driver. In the back was my cousin with her sister on her lap and my other cousin next to her with my other sister on her lap, and squeezed in was me and then my other cousin. Our journey began to the neighbour's farm. We were squeezed in like sardines into a tin. It was about eight o'clock at night.

It took us about half an hour to reach the neighbours farm. As we enjoyed the ride going back again everybody was chatting and singing Christmas carols. All of a sudden my cousin elbowed me and said in a whisper voice: "look there, what is that?" I looked and to my surprise I saw a bicycle light next to the car. It was about one meter from the left back door where my cousin and I sat. We weren't scared at all. We were curious about this light. It was an old bicycle light shining into the long dry grass, but what was strange is that only the bicycle light was visible without the bike.

At the time we were on a narrow gravel road with two tracks. We were surprised because whenever the car slowed down to get through a pothole, the light also slowed down, as if it wanted to follow us next to the car. We reached almost the end of that narrow two track road when we noted that the light went to the back side. It was now following the car from behind, about three meters from the back of the car.

Out of the blue my aunt asked the two of us why we're so quiet, and what's wrong because we were now on our own mission for much too long according to her. We kept quiet about the light because we didn't want to cause havoc in the car, and we knew our aunt. She was unpredictable we didn't know how she would react if finding out a ghost light is following us. My cousin said the stupidest thing to her. She said to my aunt that we were just looking at a firefly that is following us. I thought to myself could she not at least thought of something more realistic, because that bicycle light was definitely a very huge firefly if it was one.

My aunt looked in her mirror and screamed at the top of her voice:" It's a ghost!" She put her foot on the petrol. It was as if she converted her car into a low flying aero plane that couldn't get up into the air. Everybody screamed out of shock. My cousin and I were also in shock, not about the light, but the way she was driving. She lost half of the cars exhaust on her way back to the farm. On one point when she reached the gravel road that was wider where she turned left. The light just stopped there and disappeared after we entered the gate of their farm.

Now back on the farm everybody was curious about this bicycle light. Everybody was sitting on the stoop, and the main topic was now ghost stories. My uncle told us that my two cousins were playing with a tape recorder in one of the rooms. They taped each other and got interested in doing something else, so they left the room with the tape recorder still recording. He said when they rewind the tape later on they discovered that when they left the room the tape recorder continued to tape. On the tape was the sound of people having conversations, and the sound of many footsteps on the wooden floor, also the opening and closing of the door. People were entering and leaving the room was recorded on this tape left in this empty room. After my uncle discovered this tape, he decided to put the tape recorder in his take away shop. It was also a very old building. He put the tape recorder on late at night after ten o'clock and left the shop. The following day he discovered interesting stuff on that tape. It was the sound of people laughing and drinking, the sound of like it could have been a bar years ago.

After this scary night we experienced, and all the ghost stories we couldn't sleep so we avoided talking about ghosts. After a view days it seemed like everyone was more relaxed. I went outside at the back stoop to check the sunset because it was always so beautiful; it was so busy and noisy inside with everybody that I decided to remain outside for a while. As I stood there watching the sun go down behind the mountains and darkness started to fall down on us, my eye caught something. On the end of the stoop was a dead bush. In this dead bush was a golden colour ball hanging in the middle of this bush. It was the size of a soccer ball. It was not shining bright but bright enough to see it clearly. This was about two meters from where I was standing. I was not scared. I was curious, and gave a little step forward to be a little closer, but then it disappeared. I just went inside without telling anybody because I thought they won't believe me after all the ghost stories they might think it's my imagination.

After many years went by me and my father and mother were talking about the farm. For my surprise my father told us that he saw something there that he kept a secret. He told us about the same golden light in the dead bush that he saw when he went out to his car one night to fetch something. He didn't tell anybody because he said he was also scared that they wouldn't have believed him, because within one week two ghost lights will sound a bit too much. I was surprised and I told my father that I also saw that golden light, and for the same reason I kept it for myself.

Till today I still wonder why some ghosts are in the form of lights. Is there any one with knowledge of ghost lights that can give an explanation to me about why they come in the form of a light?

Other hauntings by Trix

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from South Africa

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Trix, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-09-07)
Hi Trix, FYI, I have submitted the motor-cycle light experience. IF they publish it, it should be up soon.
I hope you haven't been 'washed away' by our recent rain.
Groot druk vir jou my vriendin.
❤ Fergie
Trix (14 stories) (407 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-06-02)
Hi fergie, it would be nice if you shared your storie with us about the motor-cycle light. These lights are really strange phenomena though hey.
Thank you for commenting and reading. Sorry for my absence sometimes-I'm a very busy person, and like the stars-you will not always see me but I will always be there. Take care my friend, and share that experience with us hey. Take care Trix.
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-06)
Hi Trix, I know this post is old, but I see that you pop in from time to time.
I find this tale of yours interesting, as something similar happened to me & my daughter (s?). It was also back in the 80s, but here on the 'Reef'. & it was a motor-cycle light.
I shall have to speak with my eldest daughter, to help recall all of the details. Hopefully, I will be able to submit this account at a later date.
Thank you for a series of fascinating accounts. I see you have not posted anything for a while. I hope all is well with you. 😊
ParanormalGirl101 (guest)
+1
13 years ago (2011-04-19)
Ghosts are not always in the form of lights. Sometimes they are transparent (sp?), sometime they look solid, sometimes they are lights. Most of the time you will not see them. 😁

Thanks for Sharing. ❤
Trix (14 stories) (407 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-11-11)
Hi SuperHBK, congratulation on your marriage I'm happy for the two of you and your little girl.
Yes you are right if your place is built on a cemetery you will have constant company of wondering ghosts. I read all your stories and I can tell that you're a strong brave religious person when it comes to fighting these types of things. I'm glad your wife is not scared of it. (Ghosts like fear as you know) That is a plus for both of you because now you can stand together against it. With reading that prayer without fear it should leave whatever comes into your flat. You and your wife are welcome to e-mail me. Have a lovely day. Trix. ❤
SuperHBK (6 stories) (63 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-11-11)
Yes I am still staying there, and I must say that after the cleansing some strange occurrences happened but that is not a huge problem, I found out that the flat was build on a old cemetery so it doesn't matter how many times I'm going to clean it it still going to happen. But my wife (Got married this past weekend) is used to it, but yes I'm still planning to move as soon as an place gets open.

HBK
Trix (14 stories) (407 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-11-10)
Hi SuperHBK, yes I would also like to know what happened with the one who ride that bicycle.
I have to remind you... That prayer is a daily prayer. I admit being lazy sometimes not reading it out loud EVERY day because it is so long, but I must say it works for me. I had this problem with my son 'n view weeks back. He was so depressed he blamed me and his father for conceiving him into this life. (can you believe it). I felt so sad. I used that prayer to cleanse my house again from room to room. When I'm finished with a room I seal it off with the bible so that no evil spirit can remain in there. It worked. But I know for me it is not the end fighting against these attacks I'm use to it. My son's better now- he even cleaned his room lol.
Are you still staying in that haunted flat?
Best wishes. Trix ❤
SuperHBK (6 stories) (63 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2010-11-10)
Trix... I do not have much to say on this topic, I'm very curious to know what happened with that bicycle light... I don't care about he orb or any thing, I would like to know what happened to the rider of that bicycle. Hehehe.

BTW thanks for that prayer I used is Monday Night (08.11.2010) and it seems that it worked, there was an spirit that taunts me every night, so ja I used it, and we'll just have to see if it works.

HBK ❤
Trix (14 stories) (407 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2010-11-03)
Hi whitebuffalo, thanks for this web site information about the ghost lights. I did read all of it and I found it very interesting. Thanks again. Trix ❤
whitebuffalo (guest)
+1
13 years ago (2010-11-02)
I would suggest you look up Mystery Lights. It sounds like there is a lot of activity in that area, and Mystery Lights are all OVER the place. You may be IN one of those Places.
Wado.

Http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marfa_lights
Http://www.nightorbs.net/Mystery_Lights.htm
Trix (14 stories) (407 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-11-02)
Hi redphx, wow I didn't know that. Thanks for sharing this information. I know some of you will think I'm stupid, but I agree if it comes to ghosts I am stupid. I see them sometimes but don't know why they are like shadow, grey or even some looks like normal people. For me they are all ghosts but I still don't know why they appear in certain forms. What still puzzles me is this dobbelgangers. Have a nice day. Trix. ❤
redphx (4 stories) (827 posts)
+3
13 years ago (2010-11-01)
The orb or ball of light is the easiest manifestation a ghost can make. The more advanced the manifestiation the more energy is needed to produce it.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: