You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Woman Standing By Car

Real Ghost Stories

Woman Standing By Car

 

This happened to my aunt and I when I was about seven years old, I'm not sure what the exact date was but I know it was the mid to late ninety's (I'm 19 now).

My aunt and I were driving back from the mall, which was located 30 minutes from the town where we lived. There is a four lane highway now but at the time of this story there was only a road that we could ride on since the highway wasn't there yet. We were driving back and we were about halfway on the road when we saw a car pulled to the side of the road. Since my auntie didn't really see a lot of cars driving on the road and the sun was beginning to set she decided to pull over and see if this person needed help, my aunt was about 17-19years old at the time and she wasn't really the type of person to really do this type of thing, but she pulled over and we both noticed that there was an elderly woman standing by the car.

We stopped the car a few car spaces ahead of the woman's car and my aunt got out and said she would be right back. Since I was a little kid I really didn't have much interest in sitting around and waiting around, so I vaguely remember sitting up and watching my aunt walk over to the woman. I remember growing confused when my aunt stopped in her tracks and turned around. She seemed kind of irritated as she walked back and she opened the driver's door again and sat down. She looked at me and was like "I could have sworn there was an old woman and a car out there, you saw it right?" I remember just staring at her and not really knowing why she was asking this because I watched her walk to the woman and turn around while the woman was still there by her car. I meekly nodded my head and we both turned our heads to the back of the car and sure enough the car was there. My aunt sighed heavily and said something along the lines of, "It wasn't there a minute ago." She kept staring and said something about how maybe the woman was driving away before she got out of the car, but there was no way the woman could have driven away and back in the matter of seconds.

There were no side roads except maybe a half mile down the road. She told me to come with her this time and we both got out of the car and before I could take enough steps there was no car there, we both looked around in disbelief and my aunt groaned in annoyance. She walked back to our car and said "She can help herself now." I remember looking to the side as I pulled open the passenger door and there was still no car there.

As we sat down and started the car I heard a loud screech, I looked around franticly and sure enough my aunt was doing the same, she heard it to. She looked into the rear view mirror and swore in some scared tone and put the car into drive. She seemed panicky and almost shaky as she drove off. I turned around to look out the back window and the car was there and the old woman seemed as though she was running at us, but by this point we were already a distance down the road.

To this day we both aren't sure what happened that day and whether or not the woman was real or just a product of our imagination. It was so real though and we both saw her, when we tell people this story they either just laugh it off, say we're lying or some believe us. All I know is that the car did leave whenever she or/and I got out of the car, but I don't know where it would go in the time span of seconds especially when the woman seemed to be in her 80-90's. I'm thinking that maybe the woman is just a moment in time replaying and we both just happened to witness it, but why would she scream and chase us? And why did I see the car the first time my aunt got out of the car and she didn't?

Other hauntings by themiss

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Wisconsin

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, themiss, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments but I won't participate in the discussion.

anniewilder (10 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-01-07)
Hi themiss,

I would love to include this story in a book I'm writing, Trucker Ghost Stories (Tor Books). Contributors will be paid a stipend and receive a free copy of the book. If you would like more information, please email me at truckerghoststories [at] yahoo.com.

Thanks,

Annie Wilder
shamby (15 stories) (100 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-11-11)
That's really interesting, I've never heard anything like it before. Really scary that she ran at you, I sure wouldn't go back that way again. Although I would look up some history on the area and see if anything happened there. You might find some answers!
themiss (16 stories) (23 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-11-08)
Thanks for taking the time and reading. A lot of people get confused by this story when I tell them it. It still confuses me to this day about how we could see the woman and car at one point and than suddenly not.
I have thought about trying to find the spot where this happened but since I was so young I can't really remember exactly where on the road it was. My aunt lives in Ohio now and I'm moving to California so that makes it harder to go and try to get answers and also I haven't ridden on this road in forever so I'm not sure if the road had any construction done to it or not because people travel on the highway now. I'm thinking of just letting it be and not going to look for answers because at the end of the day I just think it was something we saw being replayed.
DasherFlip (1 stories) (7 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-11-02)
I never heard a story like this either. I'm not saying that you're crazy because anyone can claim that someone saying a ghost story is crazy. The thing is you both saw the lady. That's kind of scary that she was runnning at you girls too.
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2010-11-02)
Hmmm this is a weird one. 😕 I am going to go with DCinAZ's theory about it only being seen from a sitting postion inside the car. Maybe this old woman really did break down there at one point and instead of someone coming by to help her something tragic happened. Which could be why the car and her disappeared when you got out and walked towards them. Thanks and take care 😊
DCinAZ (guest)
+1
13 years ago (2010-11-02)
This one has me scratching my head... Maybe it was some sort of optical illusion. From a lowered, sitting position when you were both in your aunts car, then a standing position as your aunt was standing up and walking when she could no longer see the other car with the woman but you were still sitting in your aunts car and continued to see the other vehicle with the old woman standing beside it. Then after your aunt got back in the car she was able to see the whole scene once more from a sitting position again. Then you both stood and turned to walk toward the other car and so on... I would certainly try and find that spot again and at least test the theory out if your aunt can find the exact spot on the old road. This would drive me nuts too! I'd have gone back just to prove it to myself. 😕

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: