You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Second Storey Ghost

Real Ghost Stories

The Second Storey Ghost

 

For as long as I can remember, my grandma's second floor has been haunted. From stories that have been told by my aunts and uncles, grandparents, and various cousins, it is evident that something strange goes on there.

When my cousins, brother, and I were young, we used to be terrified to go upstairs. It became a 'dare-you-to' scenario as we sat bored in the living room. There is a door on each side of the bottom of the stairs and a wall straight on. The door that connected the living room to the bottom of the stairs was always closed - we thought this would keep the ghosts upstairs.

There were a lot of old pictures and books... Old STUFF...upstairs. The floor was old wood planks, and some were loose. We liked to go up there and just explore through everything. We would even find the loose floor boards and look underneath to see if anything was hidden inside. Numerous times we saw shadows out of the corner of our eyes. There were always footsteps and shuffling. You could even hear it from the living room.

At the top of the stairs is a large room that is sort of a 'landing'. Connected to this landing are two bedrooms. My cousin and I about 16 years old at the time decided we wanted to be brave and try to sleep a night inside one of them. I lay with my head at the foot of the bed near the door and my cousin at the other end. We were just lying there talking around midnight or 1am recounting the numerous scary stories that we have heard about the house when suddenly the footsteps began. They were right outside the door. We held our breath just listening to the soft shuffling. Eventually, we turned on our radio to try and drown out the sound and we fell asleep.

At some point, maybe around 2 or 3 am, I was woken up by a soft *Click*. I looked around and couldn't place the noise when all the sudden I realized that the radio we were listening to was no longer powered on. It was an old-school radio with big buttons that had to be physically pressed in. Someone had to press the button to turn it off. When I came to that realization, I was unnerved. I just lay in bed and listened to the shuffling in the landing area. It was just going back and forth until it paused right outside the door. That is when I pretty much did a back flip and jumped on to my cousin, telling him to wake up. I told him what happened. Together, we just listened. The shuffling eventually came into the room (the door was closed), and stopped at the end of the bed. We did not hear it anymore that night.

We never stayed the night up there again. My grandma told me that one of the previous owners was an older lady who passed away upstairs in the other bedroom. I don't know if it is true but we did experience SOMETHING.

Other hauntings by BearsEatBeets

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Ohio

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, BearsEatBeets, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

BearsEatBeets (5 stories) (17 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-11-03)
Elephante - I'm a big Office fan so yes, you are correct:)

The stairs to the second floor are very very squeaky. The footsteps actually just 'appeared' and began around the time I said. The weirdest part was that I woke up when the radio was powered off and the footsteps seemed to have went through the bedroom door and into the room we were in.

I try to be as logical as possible when it comes to the paranormal and not jump to conclusions. They next day, we had told my grandma what had happened and she just blew it off because she is so used to that stuff happening in her house.
Jennifer40 (20 stories) (202 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-11-03)
Maybe she was just checking in on you and thinking you were asleep she decided to shut the radio off. Regardless, I'm sure it was unnerving!

Jennifer ❤
Elephante81 (2 stories) (59 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-11-03)
Bears, Beets, Battlestar Galactica... Love your user name if it's what I think it's from! 😆

Is it possible that the footsteps you heard were from a grandparent checking on you?
biblefreeme (2 stories) (137 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-11-03)
how unusual you don't get many people would give up a whole floor for the spirit it must be lovely for the old lady being undisturbed she was probably just coming to see if her guests where comfortable she even turned the radio of when you had finished whata hostess. 😜
Loganz_sis (1 stories) (150 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-11-03)
This reminds me so much of one scary night like this that my sis and I spent with another cousin at my grandma's. It is a very huge house and quite old I think, it is the house my mom grew up in.
It was a two storey house with a huge attic. The first floor always seems quite scary but we never thought much of it, we had heard from other family members on what they had felt there but nothing serious. One night the three of us thought we were brave enough to sleep in one of the rooms there and had the most sleepless nights ever. I do not know if it was the wind or something else but the whole night the windows kept slamming in and out so loud we almost froze with terror. None of us had the guts to open our eye and see what it was. I think it might have been wind but all the fear made it one of the scariest nights of our lives:)

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: