You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Skinned Dog

Real Ghost Stories

The Skinned Dog

 

I know this story is going to be a little unbelievable but most of my stories are. I was 17 years old and was staying with my best friend Anna. It was a pretty average night hanging out in her living room. We had just put her son to bed and were having a great time laughing and talking of old times. Now the way her house is set up is you walk into the living room. From this point in the house you can see the hall that leads into the bathroom and kitchen. I was sitting on the far side of the room and had a perfect view of down the hall. I sat against a wall on the floor. Anna sat across from me completely facing me. I wish she had seen the thing I did.

As I said, we were laughing and were happy. The next thing I remember is looking in to the hallway because I thought I had seen something move from out of the corner of my eye. At first, I thought that somehow her son had climbed out of the crib and was moving in the hallway (which at the time was 3 months old). I looked, expecting nothing, but I was wrong. I had to look twice, almost like a double take. The image I saw didn't quite register in my mind and still doesn't.

I looked and I saw one of the most horrifying things ever imaginable. And it takes a lot to even spook me. There in the hall, starring me down, was what appeared to be a skinned dog! It was still bleeding and had some attachments of skin stuck to it. I could see every muscle. Its eyes were locked on me and it seemed to be growling but it had no lips to be growling from. They just weren't there. Its eyes looked so angry and it didn't move its gaze one inch from me. I can still see the image in my head as if it is still happening. It did not move its position any closer but did not retreat either.

When I saw this creature, I immediately stopped laughing and jumped from the floor. Anna kept asking what is wrong. She didn't see it. All I could do was point at it. I don't know why but I was too scared to speak and didn't dare move. All I could think is "what is it?" Anna had grabbed my arm and pulled me close to her. I guess she had seen my face. It was as if I was frozen. Then I finally spoke and tried to frantically tell her what I had seen but when I looked, it was gone. I was speaking so fast by this time she couldn't understand me.

It had taken me hours to calm down. And finally was able to explain what I had seen. It was unbelievable. I didn't sit in the same spot ever again and never walked in the hallway alone after that night. I never saw it again after that but I can see it perfectly in mind everyday. I even have nightmares sometimes.

The very odd thing about this, and I don't know if this is related, but after that I think anything is possible, my beloved german shepherd's chain was found in the back yard three weeks later snapped at the end. No dog to be found. The chain was pointed into the woods. My dog was not the type to run off. Even if he got loose, he would always stay in the yard. My father said he may have chased some coyotes into the woods. My dog never returned.

Sometimes I think the image was a warning of some sort about my dog. Until this day I don't know. It is a burned image in my mind. Not many believe me except for my friend that was there that night. But I know what I saw!

Other hauntings by redone1867

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Ohio

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, redone1867, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Imarealghost (2 stories) (39 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-05-07)
Sorry about the loss of your dog. However, I will say...don't give up any hope that your dog is alive. I've known of people who've lost their dogs and thinking they were dead, turned up weeks later...infact, one recent case in the newspapers (uk) was about a dog who had been missing for 3 years and turned up alive and well. I would even say NOT to take what you saw in the house as a premonition. I can't offer an alternative explanation but the way I see it is, if you yourself see it as a premonition then you will be convinced in your mind that your dog is dead and that kind of makes it final when you don't even know for sure:-) Does that make sense? Lol
ghostslaya (23 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-05-07)
im so sorry... I think that it was a warning your dog might have been killed or harmed I'm sooooo sorry for you loss if you want to talk about anything then contact me at ghostslaya93 [at] yahoo.com 😨
KoltenAspen (39 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2009-12-21)
I'm sorry that you lost your dog and I do believe you. The skinned dog could have been a warning to protect your dog and also it could have been your dog
redone1867 (4 stories) (37 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-10-19)
i don't put stories up on here to see if people believe them forbidden love. I don't need anyone to believe anything. I know what happened and I shared the experience. Also just because you have proof doesn't mean it will help. I know better than that. I've lived with this stuff all my life. I gave up a long time ago trying to convince people. They're going to think what they want. You can think what you want but if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all.
Forbidden_Love (42 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-10-11)
It was probably your dog... Or some other dog whatever it is Ugh!I'm scared of blood so I'd probably pass out onto the floor... And my story sounds more unbeleiveable than yours but I got proof to prove mine just now you might need some proof for people to believe you...
sincerely_whitneyy (1 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-31)
okay, this story IS unbelievable.
But I believe it!
That sounds horrifying.
And I think that your dog's chain DEFINITELY has something to do with all this.
Do you remember if the skinned dog resembled your dog in any way? 😲
TheUnknown (1 stories) (192 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-26)
Scary,a skinned dog. That can be a meaning as mentioned by you, or it could be your own dog skinned 😜.
Chrono (2 stories) (41 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-26)
I'm sorry to hear about your dog. AND WOW, that must of been terrifying, I'm sorry to hear that you had to see that as well!
You should try to get it off your mind, even though I'm sure you have. But still, you're very brave.
Take care,
Chrono 😳
fizzylizzie (2 stories) (67 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-07-07)
wow that is very strange!
at first I thought well maybe its a ghost dog but with your dog running away I just don't know
mandakitten (1 stories) (4 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-07-05)
thats sad about your dog. And surprisingly I actually believe you saw something. But more of a premonition then and actual entity. Take things like this seriously, and always look for meaning, don't let your fear over come the message that is trying to be conveyed. Especially if in your heart you know there is a meaning.
purplequeen12 (2 stories) (69 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-06-19)
OMG! That is sooooo scary! If that was me, I would scream and scream to death. I'm one of those people who are easily frightened. That story is very spooky! 😨
redone1867 (4 stories) (37 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-05-24)
soccerbratgirl, I see these things almost every day. Even in my house. I usually dont't get to scared of them because I've gotten used to most of it. But aparently some things I'll never be prepared for.
soccerbratgirl (2 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-05-24)
if you lived around where I live you would never want to go out at night, that is if you seen stuff like I do.
carolynknowles (4 stories) (23 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-05-23)
I to believe you my oldest son has seen animals that were not alive and it scarred the piss out him and me!
evilblackwidow9 (6 stories) (132 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-05-23)
I know this one it true 'cause I was there. That was one messed up night. You didn't sleep for two days.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: