You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Orbs / Lights / Mists :: My Encounter With The Anson Light

Real Ghost Stories

My Encounter With The Anson Light

 

Hey everyone, I'm new to this site and this is my first posting of a story. Like it says on my profile page, I have had many experiences and this is just one of many. Maybe one day I will publish them all. However, this is the mildest encounter I've ever had. Hope you enjoy!

It was a Friday night and my friend Bob (name has been changed) and I were really excited to go somewhere, anything to get off base! It was our first free weekend in a while, I think, and our excitement to get away was really peaked. It was my first time in Texas, but Bob had lived there his whole life. While we were trying to decide what to do, Bob suggested we go see the Anson ghost lights about two hours away or so. I was a little hesitant at first, but after thinking about it, it sounded like a really fun idea. After all, what else could we do in a small town that we hadn't already done? And going farther away sounded really exciting! So we called up some of our friends and invited them to come along with us.

The drive was long but nice, as we got to witness the explosion of the sunset over the distant horizon before everything became enveloped in black night. I was used to seeing the city, so to see everything totally encased in darkness was really intriguing (no city lights!). For two hours we played the local country radio stations and sometimes sang along, just having a good time. Then FINALLY we reached Anson, and Bob drove us to the infamous country road that would lead us to our destination.

Before we turned right onto the road, I immediately noticed the old-style cemetery adjacent to it. The radio had been blazing country tunes, but the second we turned right onto the road next to the cemetery, the radio suddenly quit and turned to loud annoying static. I guess spirits don't like country music, kidding. About half a mile or so down the lonely road, we reached an intersection and that's where Bob turned his car around so that we could face the cemetery. He explained to us a previous experience he'd had there, but also said that it didn't always happen. Bob hoped it would happen this time for us. He explained that in order to "call" the spirit, you need to kill your engine and flash your headlights three times. We did, and then we waited...

The night was lonely; the wind was gently blowing the grass. We waited, and growing impatient, Bob flashed his lights three more times. Suddenly we heard something bang on the side of the car. All our windows were up, and we peered through them searching for the source of the sound. It happened again, that time I think on the hood. Off in the distance we saw a faint, flickering light appear far away down the road. We immediately dismissed it as a porch light or something, and kept searching. But I kept watching the light. I watched as it flickered and moved snakingly down the road, but very slowly. As it got closer, the light grew brighter and brighter. So bright in fact, that we thought a motorcycle or car or something was coming at us. It was only 200 meters away. Then it stopped, hovering there, and then it slowly retreated back down the road, and grew into merely a faint flickering light again.

Curious, Bob flashed his lights three more times to see what would happen. Again, after a few minutes the light slowly approached the car. It stopped in the middle of the road, between us and the cemetery, just flickering there. Then Bob turned on the engine and suddenly sped fast towards the light. Yet the light quickly sped down the road before we could reach it, and disappeared into the cemetery.

That was a fun, exciting night! I welcome anyone to comment on this, and I'm really interested if anyone on here has ever experienced this phenomenon for themselves. Bob explained that the ghost light is the lantern a mother used to find her lost son, but who really knows? Anyways, thanks for reading. Maybe I might post my other experiences, as this one is the mildest.

Other hauntings by 22aya

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Texas

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, 22aya, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

taz890 (12 stories) (1380 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-03-15)
thanks for replying so quick very sad even if just an urban legend and bob is a good name for a friend you need to mention but with out using real name (might have to borrow that for some of my storys 😁)
Thanks again
Carl
aya22 (guest)
+1
13 years ago (2011-03-15)
Unfortunately, everything I know about the history of the place was told to me by my friend Bob. 😆 Why oh why did I choose to call him Bob? LOL. Anyway, he told me that the little boy got lost in a very bad snowstorm one night while on his way home from the barn (not sure about the barn). The mother went out looking for him with the lantern, yet never found him. So now the place remains today as one of those favorite local haunts twisted into something of local urban legend. It didn't disappoint! 😊
taz890 (12 stories) (1380 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-03-15)
hi aya22 great first posting enjoyed this one.
Like the idea of friends out hunting for hauntings, do you know any more to the mother story?
Thanks for posting,
Carl
EmoChick (1 stories) (14 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-02-24)
Sounds fun! Haha. But I agree with theif and I'm wondering what the bang was,, and I've never had a spirit bang on my car... Maybe cause I've never summoned one from my car! 😉
scrapmetalkitten (306 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2010-11-17)
Wow that is so cool. I have not experienced anything like that, but that would have been really fun and exciting. I have had a spirit bang on my car and walk on top of my car though, that was really creepy.
Theif47 (6 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2010-11-04)
Very interesting good story there I was wondering what made the bang noise

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: