You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Whispers Through Time

Real Ghost Stories

Whispers Through Time

 

The town that I grew up in was an old farm town. Pretty much every house was an old farm house. Ours was one of those.

When I lived in that house, it was just my dad and me. He worked for a car manufacturing company and it was a long drive for him, so he would end up leaving at like 4 am. I was still in high school and I would get up around 6:30 to get ready. After that, I would wait in the living room for my ride to school (the room faced the road).

My dad was a huge stickler on turning off all electronics before I left. I always made sure I did this because I knew he was struggling with bills a little and every bit helped. As I stood at the window, the house was completely silent.

A few minutes went by, and I heard a very very faint sound. I tuned my ears in on it and I could hear that it was a female voice. It sounded like she was carrying on a conversation but you couldn't hear the other person respond. It was hard to make out anything she said but there was one word in a sentence that I did. Scissors.

At the time, we had a satellite dish. Thinking that the signal had gone out and that the tv was actually on, I bent down and hit the power button. The tv turned on. That freaked me out a little but I tried to gain courage to investigate.

I tuned in on the voice again, still not being able to make it out. It sounded like it was coming from the corner of the room that the phone was in so I moved that direction. When I got to that corner, it sounded like it was now on the other side of the room. When I went there, it moved again. I decided to call it quits because I saw my ride drive past.

When I got home, I told my dad what had happened. He told me that about a week earlier he heard a soft voice too but couldn't hear exactly what it was saying.

Just a little additional information that I don't know if it has any connection to the story - we had renovated the living room. The house's first floor was laid out in a way that you could walk in a circle because all the rooms connected by door ways. My dad walled off one doorway and turned the other room into his bedroom. As we re-drywalled the living room, we found all kinds of old stuff hidden in the walls. Old jars, bottles, a diary (it was unreadable), a wedding dress above the doorway, an empty jewelry box, and when we pulled up the carpet - a newpaper from when JFK was assassinated.

If you liked this experience, check out my other ones.

Other hauntings by BearsEatBeets

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Ohio

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, BearsEatBeets, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Mountaineer (4 stories) (176 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-24)
Oooooo boy would I like to see the stuff you pulled out of the wall! I agree with Jennifer40 in that it was makeshift insulation. Great story by the way!
vulcan10 (5 stories) (332 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-11-08)
Yes, it doesn't hit me as scary so much as sad. There's definetly a story behind the wedding dress in the wall. Maybe the death of a young bride and the husband couldn't throw the wedding dress away or stand to be apart from it so he put it close but out of site. Or a young soon to be bride who died before her wedding and her parents or future husband shut it up in there to be near it. I bet the diary would have shed some light on it. In any case, there was a lot of feeling in the actions of enclosing that dress in the walls. Sad.
BearsEatBeets (5 stories) (17 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-11-08)
TechNinja - The way you described your experience with these voices is right on the nose. It drives you crazy because you know you can hear it but most of the time you can't quite catch what they're saying. It's muffled. I don't think I have any special abilities.

I don't remember anymore encounters like this one but my dad said he had heard it on multiple occassions.
Loganz_sis (1 stories) (150 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-11-08)
That is scary, finding those things in the wall! As some of them have mentioned below looks like it is common practice. I would be careful with what you found there, if you are going to store them, then think twice. The spirits may be attached to these objects (a possibility) so take good advice before you do something about the objects.
TechNinja (1 stories) (14 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-11-07)
A little creepy, but from the tone of your story it doesn't sound too threatening or scary. Interesting to say the least.

It could be a residual imprint if its repeating itself. Especially if someone spent a lot of time in that particular place. Could be a ghost, maybe she wanted someone to find those items.

Do you guys still own the place? Can you still hear her?

I hear whispers all the time in the same manner you hear that voice - can't pinpoint the source but its somewhere near and its faint. Sometimes I can make out what they're saying and sometimes its questions or like they're carrying on a conversation.

This used to drive me nuts, but I've just come to terms that I'm hyper sensitive to these things and that I'm visited by random entities from time to time.
TerriLewis123 (1 stories) (93 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-11-06)
Hello, nice story. My husband & I rebuilt an old house & found part of an id card, a silver dollar, gum,& a pen. All of them looked old, the id was black & white, but the silver dollar I think was dated 1972. I believe this house was built around 1900. Not sure though. It's cool to find all that stuff. Thanks for sharing.

E.T.:o)
butthead (guest)
 
13 years ago (2010-11-06)
nice story, is very interesting.
Also just reminded me that when I was about 6 years old I crammed some things into the wall when I had the chance. Only problem is, now I'm going to be up trying to remember what I put there.
BearsEatBeets (5 stories) (17 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-11-05)
Vulcan - The JFK newspaper was found under the carpet when we pulled it up. I think the people may have been renovating and thought it would be neat as a time capsule type of thing.

As for the actual stuff in the walls, everything was very very old. As I mentioned in a previous comment, the diary was very weathered but we could read a couple dates that were late 1800s/early 1900s. There was insulation when we renovated, so I don't know if the people that renovated the carpet also added the insulation and left all the "artifacts". The diary looked like it had been wet at some point. Some of it was a blurred mess and the pages were falling apart. I really wish we could have read it.

I actually just checked the auditor's website to see when it was built. It was completely finished in 1900.:)
vulcan10 (5 stories) (332 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2010-11-05)
I've heard of people using weird stuff for insulation but the stuff he found wouldn't be good for that. This really makes me curious of who put it there and why? I hope the paper was in good shape. You must not be that old. JFK was assassinated the year I was born. So this house if built then really isn't that old, and people in the sixties had readily available insulation. Why was the diary unreadable exactly? If it was put into the wall at the approx. Time the newspaper had it hadn't had time to fade since it was out of the sunlight and I assume out of the weather being inside an inside wall. I've built houses in the past myself. Does your dad still own the house? It should be realitvely easy to look up it's past and find out who had it since it was built. If I was you I'd look them up on the internet and find out why they put the wedding dress and the diary in there. There has to be a story behind that. If you do, let us know.
BearsEatBeets (5 stories) (17 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-11-05)
Jennifer - Thanks for the information... I did not know they used to do that. I thought it was a "time capsule" type of thing.

Dan - I can't really remember the diary in detail but I do know it was pretty much unreadable. We knew we had a Civil War soldier that lived in our place some time between the Civil War and 1900. I can't remember his name now but I remember we could make out the dates of some entries to be in or around that time.
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-11-04)
Wow interesting stuff to find in wall sounds to me that this is residual energy repeating itself over and over, no doubt that there probably is some connection to the items you found. Did you ever read what was in the diary at all? It may have given you some idea perhaps as to why this was occuring?

Thanks for sharing.

Dan
Jennifer40 (20 stories) (202 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-11-04)
Very creepy! As far as the objects in the wall go, it was very common along time ago for folks to place random items in walls as a sort of makeshift insulation. I know several people in old homes who have found all sorts of things in there. Thanks for sharing.

Jennifer ❤

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: