You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Haunted Places I've Lived In

Real Ghost Stories

Haunted Places I've Lived In

 

None of my stories are really scary, though they will be lengthy; that's why I'm breaking the additions down into separate chapters.

The first one was in 1988. It was loosely referred to as the Culver House (you can Google it under culver house Decatur il.) I'd graduated college, returned to my home town and moved into my then girlfriend's apartment; it was a gorgeous 1888 Queen Ann brick Victorian that had been cut up into apartments back in the forties. Well... My girlfriend was a bit emotional, and in no time began freaking out about an angry old man ghost being there, "he's pissed that we're living here in HIS HOUSE in sin." She described many perceived incidents that I waved off as a combination of an old house settling... And her nerves, whatever (and any of you women out there reading this will know how popular THAT crap is, coming from a guy!).

There was a closet door that refused to stay closed. It seemed as if it was a contest of wills; I'd close it, it would be back open. Just a few inches. Enough to annoy me. One night before we went to bed, I dragged a pile of her college books and plunked them right in front of that door... Bright and early next morning, what do you think I saw? That door was as WIDE OPEN as that book pile, now against the wall, would allow it. THAT shook me up! Another night, we were on the side walk out front getting ready to walk down town for a local event. I heard my girlfriend scream out--I was like "What? WHAT!" I seriously thought she was being attacked. She pointed up at our second story window, which was a rounded and part of the tower on that building. She swore she saw, CLEARLY, the old man looking down... Right at us. She said he was little and bald.

We moved out of that place about a month later---but not because of ghosts. It had been owned by a slum lord with no regard to its upkeep or the scuminess of her other tenants... As long as they had rent money. The place was foul with roaches, and that was enough for us.

About a month after we left, a woman living in an adjacent apartment was murdered by her boyfriend; not long thereafter, the place was shut down and condemned. For many years it was a haven for drug users, prostitutes and other miscreants. Over time, looters removed virtually all the original wood work, fire places and adornments and, until 2002 it was slated for demolition. But: life is funny. In 2008 a fund was generated to save the place, and it is currently enjoying a wonderful restoration that is expected to be complete by 2012.

On a final note: A few years ago I was telling this same story of 1988 to a female friend. She gasped when I got to that part about the old man in the window: in 2001, she had seen that EXACT SAME THING one night, while walking past the place!

Again, that place is enjoying a resurgence of life, including the actual history behind it. It was built and owned by a man named John Culver who, with his brother Jim, designed and built the Abraham Lincoln tomb in Springfield, Il. There are many pictures available of Mr. John Culver... His last ones particularly fascinate me.

He was a little old balding man.

Other hauntings by 30stones

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Illinois

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, 30stones, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

ParanormalGirl101 (guest)
 
13 years ago (2011-04-02)
Was there ever a fire at the house?
Thank you for sharing your story. ❤
30stones (2 stories) (13 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2010-11-08)
Thank you all for responding.

I was just recently at an open house there; first time I'd set foot inside since fall of 1988. They are hoping to make it into a Decatur, Il. History museum.

Of the sixty-odd people who were there, I was the only one who had lived there. It was cool telling them of my experiences... A couple of the workers told me some of their own. Tools are constantly being misplaced. People feel their hair being touched, and voices are sometimes heard down hall ways. And always, there is the sound of someone walking up the stair case to the second floor.

Not much has changed, I guess!
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-11-08)
BJJ thanks for being fair lol 😆 I have noticed that the cutting up of larger homes seems to be quite common in the states. Over here they just heritage list it and restore it then leave them. I'm wondering by renovating and restoring this place wether or not it will stir up more paranormal events. Very interesting.

Thanks for sharing.

Dan
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2010-11-08)
It really gets to me when people let old buildings just rot away like that and only care about the rent money. I am so happy to hear that it is being restored. I'm sure that Mr. Culver (if that is who remains in the building) will appreciate it. Thanks and I am looking forward to reading your other experiences. 😊
BadJuuJuu (guest)
+3
13 years ago (2010-11-08)
I had a good laugh over the crap guys tell us women to explain our experiences. To be fair, some women are just as dismissive lol.
It's always a shame when historical places are left to crumble. It's good to hear that these homes are being renovated. Bet the workers are in for an interesting time lol.
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+2
13 years ago (2010-11-08)
30stones: Another great story... I always thought it a shame the disregard shown to the older homes by cutting them up into apartments... Will the house be occupied (by the living! 😆), or kept as an historic landmark?

Thanks for posting! 😊
logan (3 stories) (222 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-11-08)
Hey,

Interesting story, guess most old buildings are creepy in many ways. I don't think that the restoration or redecoration to it will stop the odd things around the house!

Logan

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: