You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Haunted Convent

Real Ghost Stories

The Haunted Convent

 

Since I was a little girl I always wanted to be a nun, so when I was in my 20's I decided to give up a career that I loved and follow my heart to serve God as a sister. I entered an order of religious sisters in Washington State. When I first moved in, I was surprised that the convent was actually a really nice remodeled old home, not a big stone convent you see in movies. It seemed like the moment we moved in (There were 7 of us who lived there) odd things began to happen.

First of all, we invited the Bishop to come bless the house and invited friends as well. Just as the Bishop was about to throw holy water on it to bless it, the doorbell began to ring... Not once but several times over. There was no one at the door but it continued to ring like crazy. I was videotaping this and caught it all on tape. Even the Bishop looked stunned. Finally one of the guys who was a mechanic found a way to disabled it. Prior to this the door bell had never rang like that.

Not long after, one of the sisters was in her bedroom when she heard someone talking outside her room. She went out and saw another sister on the computer. The one on the computer asked her if she had a friend over because she heard people talking in her room. She said no, that she thought someone was in the hallway. On another occasion another sister heard voices behind her and she was the only one home. Another time, I was asleep and woke up in the middle of the night to see an apparition that looked like an old man all in white right next to my bed. I screamed and the minute I screamed the apparition got a scared look and went away. I then turned on my light and began praying my rosary like crazy. I asked Jesus to protect me and also prayed to St. Michael. I slept with the light on the rest of the night. I never saw it again. I told the sisters what I saw and they said I was the first one to actually see something that clear.

A few weeks later, one of the sisters was moping the kitchen floor and went to the living room to get something. When she went back to the kitchen there were children's footprints on the floor. No one else was around to make the footprints and she got freaked out.

One day, six of us headed to Seattle for the weekend for a retreat. One sister stayed in the house by herself. She was a very outspoken sister who was not afraid to speak her mind and very "in your face" so to speak. When we got back from Seattle the first thing she said was "Don't ever leave me in this house alone again!" We asked why, assuming maybe someone had tried to break in because it was in a rough neighborhood. She said "Gangs and robbers I can handle, but there is something in this house that doesn't like me." She never really talked about what happened except she did reveal that someone kept coming into her bedroom at night and whispering her name over and over. On several occasions when I vacuumed the living room I saw a black figure in the corner. It would then disappear when I gave a second look. Other sisters admitted seeing something similar in the living room on several occasions.

I moved to another city to continue my formation and I would ask if things still occurred. The sisters said yes. Then, things stopped. The church down the street had burned down and was rebuilt, and the day the new church was reopened the paranormal activity stopped. They don't really know why but were relieved. What I found out about the history of the home was that it was owned for a long time by an old man and his wife. They had passed away and the house remained empty until the sisters bought it and remodeled it. The sisters don't own this house anymore. They sold it to a family last year, so I don't know if they have experienced anything. Still it was my first experience living in a true haunted house. By the way, I'm no longer a sister.

The sisters took the videotape of the house blessing and is now a part of their archives. They wanted me to hand it over right away... I don't know why. I'm trying to see if I can get a copy so I can share it but it might not be easy. This all happened about 10 years ago.

Other hauntings by SoliK

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Washington

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, SoliK, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Triskaideka (2 stories) (388 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-10-11)
PS - My father pastored a church of elderly people who had been previously burned by very evil people pretending to be servants of God. Essentially, a man and his wife showed up posing as pastors. Slowly, ever so surely, over a period of 20 years, they sowed all sorts of negative feelings and energy and broke up the church from within. By the time my father arrived, only 20 of 200 people remained. Everyone else had fled the congregation, children in tow. The elderly people just didn't know of any other church to attend.

There are a lot of people in this world. And contrary to movie lore, they can enter "holy sanctuary."

Were I a member of that church, I'd be praying for God to allow me to see the truth about our shepherds.
Triskaideka (2 stories) (388 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-10-11)
There are two weird things here.
1) This happened until the old church burned down.
2) The sisters wanted the tape back ASAP.

There is corruption in every church and every religion. I suspect there was something askew in an old congregation who attended church in that now burned building, and perhaps someone from the clergy is still present in the newer congregation and is slowly corrupting them as well.

When I was younger, I was told that those closest to God are those who are attacked the most frequently. I don't know if that's true. (My father is a retired pastor. My mother is Christian, but clearly her family has some er, alternate spiritual background. Jewish Witch converted to Catholic kind of deal.)

I've also read recently from a Christian "spiritually open" person that evil spirits are actually drawn moreso to religious symbols, rituals, and rites.

The lack of spirits you've seen recently may be due to leaving the sisterhood, either because a) someone there was up to no good and was drawing evil, or b) you were all together so good and powerful that you were deemed a threat.

Just as we as individuals choose what's best, evil individuals have certain preferences over the best kind of victim: the strong, or the meek.

It would be interesting to know if any of these sisters have been plagued by evil spirits since. It would also be interesting to know how the clergy has shifted around in the past few years...
Walter_R (1 stories) (81 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-03-05)
I hate to sound like a bad person on here, but I don't think your going to get that tape.
I think they will keep it to them selves and they will never watch it again.

I know how place like that work and that is how they work.

How ever good luck.

It really does seem odd that a house full of sisters would be haunted. You would think that the demons would be afraid of a house full of sisters. The black figures you saw were demons is why I'm saying this. How ever I'm sure you got rid of them fast with all of the praying going on, but it sounded like they would return again, only to get praid out again.

Take care,

Walter
SoliK (13 stories) (44 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-11-30)
Haven't gotten a response yet on getting a copy of the tape. If I do get it I would post a copy on here or show it to someone else to see if they see anything on it.
troyarn (5 stories) (479 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-11-27)
Very interesting story,Solik. If you get any info on the tape, please let us know. Now time to read more of your stories.
JazmineD97 (3 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-11-24)
very scary yet interesting story. I'm Curious if you get a copy what will you do with it?
SoliK (13 stories) (44 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2010-11-12)
I never it made to my vows... Just spent three years with them through the Novitiate. I wasn't quite ready for the next step... I still keep in touch with them... Some of them are my friends.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
13 years ago (2010-11-12)
I tell you, having SPENT some time in a convent...Whoo!
I gotta say. Sounds like I would like Sister No-Nonsense. Good luck getting the tape. You might be working against the current, if you know what I mean.
When you left the vows, was it on good terms?
Thank you.
Loganz_sis (1 stories) (150 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-11-12)
SoliK,
You took a decision to become a nun at the age of 20! Wow that is incredible, most people are confused and trying to find themselves at that age, well done. I had a class mate in college who was a sister and very young, kept wondering what kind of conviction and courage a young girl must have to give up everything in life to serve god!
SoliK (13 stories) (44 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-11-11)
I wish I did have the chance to make a copy. It was their video equipment so since I was the broadcast journalist (my other degree aside from teaching) I was assigned the duty of videographer for the house blessing. They gave me the excuse of that they needed to put it in the archives otherwise it might get misplaced and they liked to have everything right away. So the sister who brought over the video equipment from Seattle took it and the tape all at once. I shot video from all over the house as I followed the Bishop in all of his prayers. Hopefully they will let me get a copy... But like I said it might not be easy...I'll have to think of a good excuse. I don't think sharing it with Your Ghost Stories is going to cut it for them...lol! Wish me luck...
blue_raven80 (13 stories) (338 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-11-10)
why would they ask for the video tape? Just a suggestion, get a copy of your own so you watch it again. There are things that you cannot see the first time but if you will watch it again, you will find something weird.

SoliK (13 stories) (44 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-11-10)
We wondered the same thing... It was odd. It seemed like things got more active after the house blessing. Things calmed down after the church that burned down near the home was rebuilt and re-opened.
BearsEatBeets (5 stories) (17 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-11-10)
That is odd that they wanted you to give them the video tape right away... Are they trying to hide something?

I wonder why the bishop's blessings didn't rid the house of the spirits.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: