You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Story Of A Persistent Man

Real Ghost Stories

The Story Of A Persistent Man

 

In a quaint town outside of San Pedro Sula, Honduras is a house owned by the (Real Name not Disclosed for Privacy Reasons) Ramos family; Senor and Senora Ramos and their 15 and 12 year old children. Across the street lives a young woman who, apparently, is to die for. I don't want to state the names of the people involved, for privacy purposes but if giving their names is a requirement I will, for now let's call our young woman Bonita and her beau will be Carlos.

Bonita was only lightly involved with Carlos, she was young and not the committing type. Carlos, however, fell very much in love with her and after only five months of involvement, asked her to marry him. Bonita refused; she wanted to continue to live life. She didn't want a family nor was she ready to be tied down to responsibilities of a married woman; she told him instead that she wished for them to see other people. Carlos was heartbroken, he didn't eat or sleep for weeks but he arrived at her door every day for two months begging her to marry him, ignoring his friend's protests and the fact that the entire town called him a fool. Even though he was relentless in his pursuit, Bonita began to see other men and one night when Carlos came to her home he found another man leaving her house. I watched from my window as he stalked around her yard, finding a better vantage point, and I watched him as he watched them kiss. His whole body tightened and I imagine that he was feeling his heart being wrenched from his chest. He approached her in a rage after the other man left, veins protruding on his face as he screamed, asking her how she could do this to him. As he wailed and pleaded he backed her further and further into the home and finally he declared that if she wouldn't love him he might as well end his life.

Bonita didn't think he was being serious and told him so, she said that he would be a fool to commit such a sin for a woman who didn't love him, that it would be much better for him to just forget her and find someone better suited for him. He pulled a pistol from his belt and asked her how stupid was she to think another woman could compare to the love he had for her and as he held the gun to her head he told her she would marry him. She shrieked at the top of her lungs, waking my parents. My father, Senor Ramos, came running to her door and opened it just as a shot was fired. Bonita came crashing into him, screaming and crying - too hysterical to understand. My father could see blood on the floor in an open door way and pushed past her to see what happened, Carlos was still alive- still breathing, gurgling and moaning. My father knew that an ambulance would take far too long to arrive and Carlos would certainly be dead before they got him to the hospital, he called to my brother and myself and we helped him load Carlos into his truck. We sped away leaving Senora Ramos, my mother, to console Bonita. The drive to the nearest hospital is about a forty minute drive and the old truck had no radio, the only sound we heard were Carlos' moans of agony and the gurgling rasps as he tried to breath. Dad made it to the hospital in a record thirty minutes but as we pulled in the moaning was slowing and the gurgling breaths were almost inaudible. Carlos died as an emergency crew readied a gurney but because he died before physically touching any hospital grounds or property we were forced to drive all the way back with his body in the car. We brought him to his parents' home, expressed our sorrow and went home.

For a while, life went on as usual but unfortunately that didn't last long. My mother noticed, while passing the truck that my father had never cleaned the blood from the back of the cab. She took out her cleaning supplies and began to scrub, as she was scrubbing a chill ran over her shoulders and what felt like a hand settled on her neck, a soft raspy hiss built itself into a groan that rang out from behind her so loud that I heard it in the house. She ran back inside and we watched from the window of the house as sounds came from the truck. It sounded as though the breaks were being slammed, sounds of crushing metal and crunching glass but the truck didn't move it was not at all phased.

When my older brother returned from work and my Dad came home from tending his fields, we always had dinner set and ready for them. We told them what happened and got a bunch of laughs in return, from my brother at least. My father, on the other hand, is a sternly religious man who taught kids to be sternly religious as well, he likes his house hold sane and he certainly was not the type to believe in ghosts or spirits. He scolded me and my mother for "making up" the ridiculous tale. But the fallowing Sunday was one morning that would change my straight laced father forever...

While we were getting ready for church Dad started the old truck up, he heard nothing but knocking under the hood and a light gurgle rumbled from the engine and the area of the cab where Carlos had died. He looked around the car thinking my brother and I we're playing a trick on him but we were nowhere to be found. The gurgle morphed into crying and then a viscous howl as he searched the back of the cab and he felt icy fingers trying to push him from the vehicle. He went in the house to find my mother, my brother and I, he was white as a sheet and goose bumped from head to toe. Mom and I, having heard the noise, asked him and my brother if they believed us now. Though my brother was still sceptical, Dad finally believed us.

The knocking wails and crying continued for so long, Carlos called for his beloved Bonita or cursed her almost nightly, that we considered buying a new car. Dad called in the best mechanic in town, if you asked anyone but my brother and his boss, to come look at the vehicle. The man came out and spent hours on the car, which stayed completely silent, but nothing seemed to be wrong with it. Mom decided to take a different route and begged until the priest came and blessed it but it seemed as though nothing could make the spirit take its leave.

Change finally came after a late August night when Mom and Dad decided to go out to dinner, they had left my brother in charge. If you haven't already gathered my brother, a mechanic's apprentice, didn't trust the mechanic our father had come to look at the truck. My brother decided to take it upon himself to see if there was something wrong with the truck. He opened the hood and looked around; tinkering with various parts but there was nothing wrong with the engine. He started the car and the entire truck shivered and a sob rose from the back of the cab and crying rang through the house, I ran as fast as I could to see what was going on. When I approached the car I could see my brother, paralyzed with fear, in the front seat and a wispy image of Carlos, exactly as I'd seen him the night he died, behind him. As I pulled my older brother from the car the knocking grew louder and louder until it sounded like a man was trapped under the hood, banging and scratching as though trying to escape. Carlos' voice could be heard begging for help, for Bonita and for peace. We ran into the house and as soon as I slammed the door behind us my brother said, "I saw him in the rear view mirror he looked like he did the night he died..."

We told our parents who sold the car to a junk yard the following day.

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Comadreja_Linda, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

DCinAZ (guest)
+1
13 years ago (2010-11-16)
Good story no matter how you slice it, hope you've got more to share with us in the future. 😊
Loganz_sis (1 stories) (150 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2010-11-15)
I like the way you started the story as a narration about a certain family... I am assuming you are the 12 year old in this story?
When did this happen?
faerielike (15 stories) (268 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-11-15)
What a wonderfully written account! I enjoyed reading this greatly!
I think I would have told Carlos to leave my truck alone and go bug Bonita! 😆
I hope I get to read more stories from you, you certainly have a gift! ❤
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2010-11-15)
It sounds like Carlos's spirit was trapped in your father's truck. It could have been a result of the trauma and whatever was going through his head at the time. I agree with vulcan10, would have traded in the car and left the body at the hospital. Thanks for posting 😊 ❤
DCinAZ (guest)
+3
13 years ago (2010-11-15)
I think this is more a cautionary tale about the harm caused by obsession. This guy just could not take no for an answer, he was so obsessed it brought about his own death. Even that didn't stop him! You'd think this girl would get some relief at some point, but no. It seems he was a very persistant man, he wanted his way and when he didn't get it he had a huge fit. I think the saddest part is the poor girl has to live with that memory for the rest of her life. Kind of makes it hard to make decisions in the future and that's not fair either.
redphx (4 stories) (827 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2010-11-15)
This is a really sad story. That women should go to him and tell him to go to the light. Poor guy.
scrapmetalkitten (306 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-11-15)
That is a sad story. I hope his spirit eventually finds peace. Very good ghost story though. I don't think I would have wanted to keep a car that had blood stains in it either!
Trix (14 stories) (407 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-11-14)
Hi Comadreja Linda, very interesting story. I wonder why he haunted your vehicle if the strong obsession he had was actually with Bonita. I should have thought that he would go after her instead. I agree with vulcan10 you would have gained more out of a trade in deal. Take care Trix.
vulcan10 (5 stories) (332 posts)
+3
13 years ago (2010-11-13)
instesd of a junk yard I think I would have used it as a trade in. You would have got more money for it. Do they have stalking laws there in that country? If so she should have pressed charges against him and got a protective order, and before someone points it out, yes they are for the most part a worthless piece of paper, but it's the first step in a solid prosecution. Anywho, it was an interesting story but I think I would have traded the truck in the first time his blood touched the interiour. Ick! And I'm sorry but his family would have had to come get the body from the hospital because it would have exited the vehicle as soon as I got to the hospital whether they liked it or not!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: