You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: 3 am Throat Clearing

Real Ghost Stories

3 am Throat Clearing

 

I have just recently moved into my grandparents old hose in a little town outside of Nephi canyon. We moved in and three days later I had my son, (I know horrible timing for a move). We had been home from the hospital for about a week, and were just settling into a routine with the new baby, and our five year old, when one night something odd happened.

It was around three a.m. And I was awake in bed nursing the baby. My husband was asleep in the bed next to us and my five year old was sleeping over at my dad's house. With everyone in the house accounted for I still cannot quite explain how I heard a man clearing his throat in the living room which is located just outside my bedroom. Here I am feeding my baby and then I hear a rather loud throat clearing sound. My husband was sound asleep and an infant cannot make noises like that.

I have not seen or heard anything since but I have family members who have said that they have seen an old man in the basement of the home. So who knows what it could have been. The first owners of the home have passed away, but not in the home. The first owners sold the home to my grandparents who are still alive and well, so I am not sure who the invisible man clearing his throat in my front room could be? Just a fun sort of odd experience, happy holidays!

Other hauntings by shandi

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Utah

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, shandi, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Dldr (2 stories) (13 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-08-15)
I agree with purplefox as ghosts are usually seen at places to which they were really attached. He might be the previous owner also.
Purplefox (5 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-15)
The old man may be trying to get your attention!
Plus the the old man doesn't have to die inside the house. He can still roam around the house. Ghosts who do this possibly think that they are still alive.
ghosthater55 (guest)
 
12 years ago (2012-03-26)
has anyone ever noticed that if a ghost wants to do something to you it is always somewhere around 3:00 A.M so I guess he wants to do something with you or something like that because I have had a experience like that if you read my story you will know
Mannerizms (10 stories) (172 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-28)
This is a pretty interesting story! I will say offer him some water! 😜 But on a serious note, there is no history you can find from what I see in the notes, if you go to your local town hall, they should keep records there, or even a historical library! Be safe! ❤
shandi (9 stories) (86 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-28)
To answer Vulcan I have not idea how long the people before my grandparents lived in my home. I know it was quite a while though, and my grandparents lived there for around 18 years. To answer Tazno I don't think it was the fridge because you can't hear the fridge from my bedroom which is where I was.
faerielike (15 stories) (268 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2010-11-15)
I think it is an odd misconception, that just because a person did not die in a certain place that they could not be haunting it. I would think that rather the opposite would be true. I would like to think when I die, I might visit, or maybe even haunt places that are more dear and significant to me.
Food for thought.
Enjoyed your story! I hope the presence does not become too disturbing! I know how uncomfortable it can be to breastfeed in a haunted place! 😉 Good luck! ❤
tazno (4 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-11-13)
*additional*
Snowhite is correct. The person didn't have to die there to be present. Thanx sno-. 😁
tazno (4 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-11-13)
Early morning, probably a little groggy yet? I had a roommate that was walking down the hall shaking a baby bottle to mix the formula, I swear it sounded just like a dog panting next to my head. Until I focused on what the noise really was, then I realized my phantom. I would take a wild guess that the kitchen is close to the living room and there in is a refrigerator. The motor turning on and off can, if not always, make a subtle rattle or an abrupt vibration that may explain the voice-ish noise you heard. A still quiet house in the middle of the night, sounds can travel long distances. You may have heard it before but not at that time of morning.
Not saying it isn't a ghost but I have to go with the simplest explanations first.
As for the anomaly in the basement I would have to know more about the persons who saw it and at what times. Plus their associations with each other.
If it turns out to be a real ghost then you can either get rid of it, which it sounds harmless enough so perhaps make peace with it. I can tell you how to that if you need it. But should establish what it is first.
vulcan10 (5 stories) (332 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-11-13)
how long did the original owners live in the house before your grandparents bought it? And how long did your grandparents live in it before the noise? Also, did the previous owners go directly to an old folks home or to another house, and how long after the sale of the house did they pass away?
bayou_nate (2 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2010-11-12)
Yikes. That would creep me out! I love paranormal experiences except late at night when I'm alone.
Trix (14 stories) (407 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2010-11-12)
Hi shandi, thanks for sharing your experience, luckily you weren't alone. I think it must be scary hearing a sound like that in the middle of the night and realise it's a ghost. I hope something like that never happens to me when I'm home alone. I think I will run doorways through the walls to get out. This is so freaky. Thanks for sharing. Hope that old man find peace. Take care. Trix. ❤
snowhite (203 posts)
+3
13 years ago (2010-11-12)
The old man didn't have to die in this house. Since this was the place where he used to live, his spirit can still be there. As long as he doesn't bother you, it should be ok. If you don't like it, just talk to it in a nice and polite way----that he doesn't belong here any more, he needs to see the light and be with his loved ones.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: