You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: A Father's Story Of A Gracious Stranger

Real Ghost Stories

A Father's Story Of A Gracious Stranger

 

This is not my personal experience but it is my father's ghost encounter.

My father told me this story when I was a little girl. I come from a Texas border town, this being so, I am of Hispanic origin and stories of this kind are common place in the story bank of a family. Even so, I know my father very well and he is not the kind of man to make up stories, at least not without making fun of you a couple of minutes later for believing him. He has never retracted this story or said it was false. I believe him.

My father's family is from a place in Mexico called San Luis Potosi. He said that he often visited that place as a boy during his vacation time away from school. He said that one time his family planned to go and he was excited. Plans looked like they were going to change, however, when he became very ill a few weeks before the trip. He told me that it was the worst flu that he had ever had, if that was indeed what ailed him. He still doesn't know exactly what was wrong with him.

The family was, needless to say, disappointed that they were going to cancel their trip, but they were more concerned about my father's terrible health. He said that he had a high fever everyday and that all he could do was lie in bed and try to not concentrate on the pain. The trip grew nearer and even though my grandma and grandpa had the doctor look at my father to see if he could help him, the doctor was unable to determine what was wrong with him and therefore could night help him much other than pain medication and fever reducing medication.

Then, one day before the departure for San Luis Potosi had been planned my father says that something very strange happened. He said that everyone was going about their normal business that day. His brothers and sisters were playing and he was still stuck in bed with a horrendous fever. He had never had a fever like that in his whole life. The only thing he could do was try to go to sleep.

After a while he succeeded in starting a nap but not long had passed before he was startled awake. He says that he was awakened because he heard someone humming a song in his room. He looked around to see who was humming and at the foot of his bed he saw a lady sitting there rubbing his feet as if to comfort him. He still says the she was as plain as day and he didn't think anything was wrong with it because she wasn't transparent or anything. He decided that he was too sick and his head was in so great of pain that he welcomed the comforting presence of who he assumed to be one of his mother's friends visiting the house.

He fell back asleep and he awoke from his nap a few hours later only to find that he felt completely cured of his fever and any other pain. He got out of bed happily to tell his parents that he felt fine and that maybe they could still go to stay in Mexico. I believe he said that his parents were astonished and that after he made sure his parents were no longer in such a worried state of mind over his health, he asked his mother who she had had over that day. Not knowing exactly what he meant she seemed a little confused and said that no one was over that day. He told her that a lady had been in his room comforting him; she was astonished and assured him that no woman besides her had been there that day and she had not gone in there at all while he was napping because she didn't want to disturb him.

I have long wondered who it was that helped my father all those years ago.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Texas

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, ArchAngelAmaris, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Prajwal (1 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-08-20)
May be she had a connection with your family, try to remember her face and make a sketch of her face and search for her identity... 😊
RedWolf (31 stories) (1292 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-06-11)
ArchAngelAmaris
Great story. It doesn't matter whether it was his guardian angel or a deceased relative he got better. His parents probaly prayed all the time and someone came to answer them. Lovely story.
Regards
Red
Alondraisscared (4 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-06-10)
Omg I'm from that same place so awesome I always go over there for summer! These stories are so common over there there's this teen that had cancer and always prayed to saint Jude he literally got cured
hmhurst (1 stories) (6 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-02-22)
i believe the story had a meaningful experiance and that her father at the time would know what he saw and how he felt and no one should question it.
ArchAngelAmaris (guest)
 
13 years ago (2010-11-16)
Hello Vulcan, I am not sure if your experience was a hallucination or not. It is normal to also feel powerful emotions during a hallucinational. However, I am a student of psychology and it is not likely for a hallucination to have tactile and visual aspects that match up if it wasn't the product of a psychotic disorder. My father doesn't have any of those kinds of disorders so I am inclined to mark hallucinations off the list of causes.:-) but thank you for your insight and sharing your interesting experience.
vulcan10 (5 stories) (332 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2010-11-16)
It could have been a fever induced hallucination. I had one (at least I hope it was. Yikes!) when I was about 6. I had a bad fever and had been sick for a while. I woke, or thought I had, in the middle of the night. (the days prior, my mom had tried ice baths and medicine my doc gave her for me trying to keep my fever down so it must have been bad), anywho, I sat up and felt really dizzy, from the fever, and sick and achy all over. I heard someone or something, it showed me my past faults and that there was no redemption for me and that it was coming for me, I then saw reality as it really was and the futility of my trying to escape it. It's speed was unfathomable, and it's fury unquentionable, and I felt it hated all mankind. The distance it was from where I was, was a great gulf but I knew it would eventually reach me. Something or someone stepped in between and I was back in my own reality, or the appearance we think of as it. My fever broke that night.
Trix (14 stories) (407 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2010-11-16)
Hi ArchAngelAmaris, one thing is for certain that it was not your fathers time to die. It is wonderful how this healing spirit was send to him to get rid of the illness. Your father is blessed. I can almost say one of Gods blue eyed boys. Thanks for sharing this beautiful story. Trix ❤
ArchAngelAmaris (guest)
+1
13 years ago (2010-11-16)
Hi everyone! Thanks for the comments and questions. Let me try to answer them as best as I can.

Roseinbloom, I don't mind questions:-). When I asked my dad about this after the first time he told me he said that the lady was wearing like a scarf around her head like a lot of older Mexican women did back then. They don't as much now. I believe that he did perceive her to be Hispanic. I think that he also said that he had never seen her and was not familiar with her. His father and mother (my grandparents) still have most of their close relatives alive and at that time I think their parents were still alive too. I've asked him a bunch who he thought it was and he has never told me. He says that he has no idea what-so-ever.

Darkness, I don't believe my father explained the situation or the description of the women. I guess they were just so happy to have him well and he just left it at what his mom told him, that no one had visited. I think that my father's family is just one of those Mexican families that just leaves those supernatural things like that. I have noticed that old school Mexican people are like that in my family, if you say you saw a ghost or an angel they say, "What else is new? Don't doubt it or question it, they're real". Many of the women in my family use eggs and lemons and brooms and what have you to try to heal people and predict things so I have learned that Mexican people blend Christianity and paranormal explanations as a way to view the world. I think that my generation, being so involved with America and American ways, is the generation that is now questioning stories, not in a negative way, just to find out what exactly happened.

JazzeyJay and DCinAZ, thank you for enjoying the story. I am really happy that my dad got better too lol:-D I am really grateful to the entity that helped him whomever or whatever it may have been.
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2010-11-15)
Im curious about this one, did your father explain to his mother about the womans description at all? I have not heard of to many stories regarding seeing the presence of a past loved ones that have very substantial healing abilities. This one I think definately falls into the category of angels and miracles etc. A very nice account. 😊

Thanks for sharing your story.

Dan
jazzeyjay (3 stories) (215 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2010-11-15)
Thanks for the touching story. This woman could have been an Angel sent in to heal your father. She may have been his guardian angel or spirit guide. These angels step in when and where they are needed. She could have been someone that lived in the house, property or in that general ara at one time who may have had medical training and popped in to assist your father. You can rest assure, she was sent in from somewhere and she was on a mission to heal your father and thank God she did just that and he was able to make a full recovery.

Thanks again
roseinbloom (4 stories) (117 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2010-11-15)
Dear ArchAngelAmaris, very nice story, and I agree with DCinAz, in that, when your child is inexplicably ill, the only important thing is that, they will get well quickly.
I'm wondering, if maybe, the woman, could have been a relative, that had already passed? Someone, like a grandmother, or aunt that may have been, very close to them? You might, want to start, researching, by asking your dad or mother, if anyone, close to them had died. Or maybe, it could have been your Dads' guardian angel, there to offer comfort in his time of illness.
What did the lady, look like? Was she dressed appropriately, for the time era? Was she a hispanic, such as your family?
Sorry for all the questions. I am just trying to figure out, who this may have been. The fact, that your father, was healed as quickly as he was, does lend itself, to being, considered a miracle of sorts. Lucky Dad.

😊 ❤
DCinAZ (guest)
+2
13 years ago (2010-11-15)
You know, I don't think it even matters who it was, spirit or no, the fact that he woke up all better afterward I think is one of the sweetest parts about this story. When your child is ill and even the doctor can't figure it out, any relief is a miracle. I'm so glad it turned out well for everybody, and it's a very good story to boot. 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: