You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: Glowing Cross Of Milan, Ohio

Real Ghost Stories

Glowing Cross Of Milan, Ohio

 

This story is one of only two paranormal experiences I have had in my life, which I can say is certifiably true... For thirty-four years old, that's time enough to accumulate many, especially being myself a very amateur ghost hunter, but this is one of the two that I would swear upon my sanity that is true.

Coming from small town Piqua, OH, in 1994 I attended my freshman year of college at the University of Toledo. Before long I had made several friends from around the state, and we took to making weekend road trips throughout the country sides of nearby Michigan and the Lake Erie areas of Ohio. One of these friends happened to be from Norwalk, OH and made mention several times of the "glowing cross" said to shine at nighttime in a small cemetery in the tiny village of Milan (which happened to be the birthplace of Thomas Edison).

So on that crisp autumn night, we grabbed our boom box and some deaf coffee and headed out for an all-nighter of rural exploration. I don't remember exactly where the cemetery was but I'm very sure it was on the outskirts of the village. I also remember not expecting a single supernatural thing to happen to me in a million years.

My friend who had witnessed the glowing cross previously, much to my skepticism, brought us to a parking lot across the street from the graveyard where he said you could best see it. Made no sense to me, but I went along with it. But, yes, surely enough, in that early morning/late night stillness of a sleeping small town, there it was! I thought at first that it must have been a car passing somewhere nearby and glinting its light off of the seemingly well polished white cross a good couple hundred yards from us, but just as it went out, it came back "on" again. This time it stayed in its glowing haze for at least a minute before it lulled out, but within that minute I became a believer. "You see that!" my pal asked, and I just surely said yes.

It was without a doubt something entirely of the supernatural and baffling to my somewhat skeptical sensibilities. Since that late night road trip many years ago, I have heard of only one reference to this anomaly in some small press haunted Ohio book from a while ago. Anyone ever heard of this? I live in Oregon now and have so for years, but on some return trip back to Ohio, I plan to again, at least one more time, grab my boom box and head up toward that eerie little village, minutes away from the great lake.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Ohio

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, hplove75, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
9 years ago (2015-04-01)
meggus - thank you for that update and clarification. I'm sure there were/are many people disappointed in the normal explanation for what they thought was a paranormal experience 😊
meggus (1 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-04-01)
I grew up in Milan, and the story is true! However it wasn't supernatural. Across the street from the graveyard is Edison park. The phenomena was caused by one of the park lights, installed at such an angle that it reflected off of the highly polished surface of the headstone, carved in the shape of a Celtic cross. Sadly, the village installed energy-saving sodium lights many years ago, and unfortunately the new lights do not have the same reflective angle as the old lights. Sadly, the glowing cross is no more as a result.

Signed,

Daughter of Milan Village Councilwoman
Kuhlmad (3 stories) (57 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-11)
I live a few miles from there and never heard anything about it, I might just check this out!
TessaGonzalez (12 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2010-11-22)
Okay, I just thought I was missing out on some awesome new cofee. Sorry. 😉
hplove75 (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-11-18)
U are describing my experience exactly (maybeidk). My friend who took me there had us stand in a specific spot to see it also that was across the street and you are right about the absence of a light source, unexplainable!
When I do get to go again I will most definitely take a camera, no doubt about it.
AND I think you should totally go Miracles51031 and do some additional investigation:)
(and yes, that was decaf coffee. Whoops:)
Moongrim (2 stories) (871 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2010-11-18)
May I suggest that you also get a camera to take along with your boom box? That way you can document this glowing cross.
maybeidk (1 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2010-11-18)
ok. I grew up right down the road from this. We used to go see it all the time.

While I will agree it is weird, I don't know it doesn't seem haunted. You have to be standing in one of a few very specific spots to see it all of which are near a picnic pavilion across the street - if you move away from those spots the glow on the cross fades away, or some people who were too short would only be able to see the glowing when on their tip toes. But if you aren't standing in exactly the right place at exactly the right height - the glow is not there.

While there is definitely not any light source in the immediate area of the cross to be reflecting and causing the glow - it really doesn't seem to be anything creepy at all. Something odd, but ghostly - I highly doubt it.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
13 years ago (2010-11-18)
hplove75 - being as I am also from Ohio, I found this a very interesting story. One trip I'd love to make if I can convince a friend to make the journey with me (Granny, watcha doing in a few weeks?)
clever210 (3 stories) (189 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-11-18)
It's probably supposed to be "decaf", but they just missed the "c".
TessaGonzalez (12 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2010-11-18)
Neat story, I want to see it. By the way what is deaf coffee?
Thanks
Loganz_sis (1 stories) (150 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2010-11-17)
Wow that is a great story!
It is very similar to a tradition in one of the most celebrated temples in India
Http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Makara_Jyothi
Every year one a particular day (happens to be a festival) a light appears far beyond the hills where the temple is situated and more than a hundred thousand people witness it. There are several reasoning behind the light but no real conclusion.
DCinAZ (guest)
+2
13 years ago (2010-11-17)
I agree, very cool! Makes a person smile. Do us all a solid this time and take a camera. Now that would be a photo to brag on. 😊
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2010-11-17)
That would have been a sight to see, could there be any other explanation for this? I'm curious as to why this is occuring in the first place? Would love to find out more details on this.

Thanks for sharing

Dan
BadJuuJuu (guest)
+1
13 years ago (2010-11-17)
Very cool story! I have to ask, was there anything at all the light could have been reflecting off of? Did you have a camera? That would have been very interesting to see. 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: