You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Old Hags / Night Attacks / Sleep Paralysis :: Did I Induce My Own Sleep Paralysis?

Real Ghost Stories

Did I Induce My Own Sleep Paralysis?

 

Before I write this story, please note that I am respectful to all religious beliefs. I am in no where forcing my belief system on anyone here on this site. I am merely sharing this experience.

This happened some years back when I was a very strict Christian at the time.

I believed at the time that fornication can bring me to hell. My previous church often had seminars on the 'sin of fornication' and its ramifications. But at the time I was still in a sexual relationship although it was not a steady one.

But one day, I decided to take these seminars seriously. One night I slipped so I was feeling very guilty and afraid of God, because I thought at the time I did a grave sin.

Around 3:00 am on the next day, I went into what they called sleep paralysis. I was scared at the time when this began to happen to me. Then the worse happened, I heard this voice cussing at me, calling me a sinner. I thought it was God at the time because of what I had done the night before. Then I began to see snakes. Please note that I was fully awake when all this was happening but unable to move. The snakes started to touch between my legs. I tried to scream but I could not have heard my own voice. After about what felt like five minutes, it was over. I ceased to hear the voice and to see and feel the snakes.

When I came out of the paralysis I accessed what just happened to me.

I realized that my guilt was so intense that it may have triggered this experience. The voice may have been an actual being that was attracted to me by my guilt and took advantage of me.

I stopped going to the seminars after that. I became less frightful of being a sinner when I do that act.

Neither the voice nor the snakes ever came at me again.

Other hauntings by Rashidah

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Rashidah, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

ava1 (3 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-08-07)
Snakes are a Very common thing to see when you are in that state. Sleep paralysis is the state right between falling asleep and waking up. Basically your body was asleep and your mind and consciousness Fully awake. The best thing to understand about sleep paralysis is to not be afraid, with practice it is the state where you can leave your body and have an "Out of Body Experience". I'm very experienced with Sleep Paralysis, but it has never been a negative state for me. The next time you are in that state embrace it, and gently lift your spirit out of your body.
DCinAZ (guest)
 
13 years ago (2011-01-10)
Here's one of the things that, once I learned about it, kept me from staying a loyal and 'absolute' catholic.
The rules are made only for the benefit of the catholic church. Those "benefits" are why priests are not allowed to marry. The church did not start out denying marriage to their priests, it only came about after the church realised that they could not claim property/land of a widowed priest after his death because the land was brought into the marriage by the wife. The priest had built a chapel on the land soon after the two were wed. This is where he ministered to his congregation. The couple had no children. His wife preceeded him in death and he continued his work in the same location for the rest of his days.
However, after his death, the wife's family reclaimed the land with the only provision being that the chapel could still be "used" by the church for as long as it stood on the property. It could not be expanded outward or used as a residence by the priest. The church had always assumed the land belonged to them and tried to claim it saying once the chapel was built, that land was now consecrated, and through that consecration was forever property of the church and diocese.
In the end the churcn did not get the land.
To prevent any future mishaps, rules were changed. I don't how they eventually became as they are now, I just remember hearing/reading about this being the real reason for it. To tell you the truth, this was so long ago that I don't even remember from which publication I learned this. πŸ˜•
NaturalScience (3 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-01-10)
Zealous Christian preachers really are good in scaring people.
I was member of Neo Catechumenate.
During one of its seminaries I had a physical symptom never having occurred before or later.
I shiat into my pants!
While sitting over a book suddenly I felt a motion in my belly and nearly at the same second a large amount of fluid stool went out of my anus without me even feeling it, my whole pant was as full as a baby's diaper.

This must have been induced by fear, for during this seminary there was much talk about the devil, and even a ceremony of Exorcism during which the priest pointed with his index finger toward the group and told Satan to leave us - implying us all to be somewhat possessed (which in fact was an insolence but we all were too brainwashed to even come near to feel insulted).

Catholics here I warn you don't fall for this sect's untruthful promise that they can make you a New Man free from Suffering and Sin, in fact this talk is just a bait to catch the fish, later on they will make you believe you'll never be more than a sinner and that you should even love your suffering, and your sin, for both make you humble and humility pleases God...

What a nonsense! Suffering and Sin exist for getting extincted! "Father thy Will be Done, as in Heaven, so on Earth" (means: as perfectly on Earth as in Heaven, the Kingdom of God on Earth) - this is the Gospel of Jesus, nothing else.

Catholic Dogmatics of a certain unhealthy kind has distorted this into a pervert adoration of Suffering itself, and into a weird love of feeling inferior, dirty, sinful, unworthy. If Catholic Church should cease to exist during next decades it would happen mainly because of this perversion of thought, and it would happen justly.
"Woe to those who call bitter things sweet, and sweet things bitter, who call Evil Good and Good Evil" says one of the Prophets of Old Testament!
BIGSHIV (6 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-11-30)
It is possible or It could be an evil spirit was using your own thoughts and guilt against you. Ask the Lord for forgiveness and become stong in his word. These evil beings cannot defeat you unless you let it. I have much experiences in this since a was a small child. There is Hope and It can be Defeated. Use the tools God gave you (your faith, your good sense, your mind and will power, and your dominion over all thing in this earth includling "evil spirits") Dont give in to fear, it only makes it stronger, like a predator, or a bully, or a coward. Don't Believe me, look it up for yourself, or ask a Priest, Pastor, Minister, or person of faith in any religion.
gary11872 (1 stories) (60 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2010-11-20)
I think you could have induced this yourself.

Good thing it never came again.
Rashidah (guest)
+2
13 years ago (2010-11-20)
πŸ˜† πŸ˜†
That must of been the story of the millennium. I will call it 'The Nun's Undercover Secret πŸ˜†'

Logan
I guess you are right. That will push people away from God. But at the time I personally thought that the whippings were something I deserved for not remembering God's Prayers.
DCinAZ (guest)
 
13 years ago (2010-11-20)
Then one day my older sister and one of her friends were attending to some chores and they looked up to see one of the sisters through the window of her cell and she had really long (their words) hair. They ran all the way home after school just to announce the news. I still remember listening as my sister had us all gathered around as she gave us the play-by-play, breathless from running and so exited that they had uncovered the "story of the year"! It's funny now when I picture us sitting there in open mouthed wonder as we hung on every single word. I also recall her telling us at the end that we were sworn to secrecy and could NEVER tell ANYONE. Guess how long that lasted? LOL πŸ˜† πŸ˜†
Loganz_sis (1 stories) (150 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2010-11-20)
Whipping...hurting the knuckles!? And they are supposed to be people of god!

Guess they do not realize they who are meant to bring people close to god... Are reason sometimes for people to push god away!
Rashidah (guest)
+2
13 years ago (2010-11-20)
πŸ˜† You thought they shaved there heads! My goodness.

That nun who scared your knuckle is a very superstitious woman. I hope She has gotten more senses now 😐

When I was very young, I use to go to a catholic school. And even when I was Muslim at the time, they use to whip me (whipping was allowed back then) to remember the prayers.
DCinAZ (guest)
+1
13 years ago (2010-11-19)
I never had a problem with the priests, for me it was the sisters, I have a scar on my knuckles of my left hand from a sister. When I was a kid (long,long ago) being lefthanded was called wrong handed, they thought they could make you change. I did write well with both hands for years, around the time I started high school I stopped and now I can't do it as well. But that sister was a wretched thing! PS we also thought all the nuns had to shave their heads to become nuns and that's why they wore those long habits! LOL
jzinck (4 stories) (54 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2010-11-18)
The mind is a powerful tool! That is a crazy story. Seems like you thought about it so hard that you released this bad energy that came back and really did a number on you
Rashidah (guest)
 
13 years ago (2010-11-18)
Some priests are like that. But the nice ones are not that uptight πŸ˜†
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2010-11-18)
Thanks Rashidah, Yeah this priest was something else. You should have seen him. During my years at that school he was given the title of Monsignor. He was even more of a tyrant after that. One time I looked over at my Dad and asked him "What is this guys problem?" LOL! πŸ˜†
Rashidah (guest)
+3
13 years ago (2010-11-18)
That is true. That is not the way people should preach about righteousness.

People should not use fear to convince people of what they are doing is wrong.

Thank you for your accounts though.
I pictured the priest slamming his fists on the table and I chuckled a little bit 😳
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
+3
13 years ago (2010-11-18)
I agree with the other posters and think that your fear and guilt played a big part in what you experienced. I am Catholic and went through 12 years of Catholic school so I kind of know what you mean about the intense preaching. There was a priest at my Grammar School that would always yell, scream and pound his fists down on the alter during his sermons like he was so angry at all of us for being such sinners. As a kid I used to be so afraid of him, and used to fear going to confession because I didn't want him to yell at me. I don't think that is any way to teach. All he succeeded in doing was making us afraid.
Rashidah (guest)
 
13 years ago (2010-11-18)
Thank you all for your inputs.
I agree with them all.

It is very amazing what the mind can do when you project certain thoughts to such intensity. They can really manifest physically into this reality.

I really have a hard time getting over Mind Control Techniques that certain organizations do to the masses. That is why it is so important to guard our minds.

The experience felt so real. I will never forget the terror of it. But I know it had to be an illusion that was projected from my thoughts and beliefs at that time.
DCinAZ (guest)
+3
13 years ago (2010-11-18)
"I became less frightful of being a sinner" is a pretty good attitude to take away from it. πŸ˜‰ πŸ˜‰
aussiedaz (19 stories) (1565 posts)
+3
13 years ago (2010-11-18)
Rashidah, I agree with your own interpretation that this experience was projected through your own sub conscious guilt of the act... The voice being paranormal?...maybe...I think you have a good knack of understanding your own experiences... Its not an easy thing to do... This story is open to conjecture... But hopefully your opening paragraph will keep the comments in its perspective... Best wishes.

Daz.
Loganz_sis (1 stories) (150 posts)
+3
13 years ago (2010-11-17)
Rashidah,
I know what you mean about the intensity of these seminars. I think any religious preaching is very intense and the whole feeling of the place if you are attending it with load of people is quite overpowering.
I recall attending one such religious things with a friend. The preacher went on about how if we closed our eyes and prayed right we could see god in all his glory... Right then right there. By the end of it I convinced my myself that I was actually seeing god! Something to do with mob mentality I suppose... But with you I agree that you let your mind manipulate your guilt and in a way punished yourself

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: