You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Poltergeists / Physical Manifestations :: The Room At The Old York Hotel

Real Ghost Stories

The Room At The Old York Hotel

 

I grew up hearing ghost stories as everybody has I'm sure, but I was always fascinated but still skeptical as I figured they were all made up! Until my own personal experience. In 2003 When I was 21 I moved to the mining town of Kalgoorlie Western Australia with my then boyfriend. We quickly meet a young crew we partied with every weekend. One of the Crew owned an old 2 story place which was originally the York Hotel 100 years ago.

It had been turned into 5 apartments, and by turned into I don't mean renovated at all! They were very old rooms and nothing had been fixed up.

He offered us the top apartment for next to nothing rent. We accepted and moved in. He would tell us about stories of the place being haunted and that he had seen the ghost of a woman sitting on the end of his beds several times but this never bothered him.

The first week we settled in fine! Drinking and partying. Then very strange things started to happen.

The Room At The Old York Hotel 1

One day I was sitting up stairs in our lounge room reading my book and listening to my stereo (which was up very loud) the next minute I felt like I was being watched and I froze, and then the stereo turned from max to silent in 1 second. I turned it back up again and within 10 seconds the knob turned down again to silence. I absolutely froze for a while then ran outside and waited the 2 hours until my partner got home. As expected he just laughed and said I was imagining things.

A week later we were asleep but were woken by very loud running footsteps through the lounge room (which our bedroom was joined to by a very old solid shut door) and then the door flung open like someone had ran into it! It made the biggest crack noise into the wall of our room, my boyfriend & I jumped 2 foot in the air and was so terrified. He believed in ghosts from this day on.

The Room At The Old York Hotel 2

A week later I walked through the lounge room & went to bed, then next morning I got up & walked through the lounge room to find a candle that was given to me for my 21st & never ever had been lit on the wick ever was sitting on the mantle piece and was completely melted down to nothing but the wick was still alight. I walked in & started abusing my partner as I wanted to keep this candle for a while; he bluntly denied any responsibility to lighting it as he was in bed before me the night before.

The final straw was 2 weeks after this, my best friend & I went out for a night on the town and caught a taxi home, as we pulled down the street that the old York Hotel was on, the cab driver (obviously a local) started talking about the old York hotel & how it used to be a pub down stairs and a brothel up stairs. Then he went on talking about the prostitute that was shot in the head with a shot gun back in 1930, as he said this he raised his right hand and pointed to the top story to the lounge room window and said "she was shot in that room there" & I replied "What? That room up there?" this was the lounge room next to our room where all the strange things happened.

Chills went down our spine and we refused to stay there that night. The next day we went back & collected all our things, that was the end of me trying to be tough! It was completely haunted and it was the scariest thing I have ever encountered!

I still live in Kalgoorlie and drive past this old hotel every day and look up at the lounge room window, it sends shivers down my spine.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Australia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, reddessert, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

mari168 (4 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-06-19)
Wow that was really scarrrryyyyyy 😨. And I loved that story it is really good 😊
Watersprite (3 stories) (85 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2010-11-23)
This is an excellent story! I was very spooked out by it. Thanks for sharing your experiences, and I hope you have more stories in the future. Not that I want you to be scared, I just like your writing style. 😆 LOL And I agree with cosmogal926, that it really helped to have the history and photographs. That all added a nice atmosphere to the story.

Best wishes,
Watersprite ❤
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2010-11-23)
Wow great story! Gave me the chills. That must have been quite an experience for you. I find places like this with a lot of history fascinating. Thank you for sharing the photos. 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: