You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Is It My Imagination Or Is This A Ghost?

Real Ghost Stories

Is It My Imagination Or Is This A Ghost?

 

My name is Amanda and I am 17 years old. When I was little, about 7 or 8 years old, whenever I was home alone I would hear footsteps upstairs. It used to really scare me because I thought someone was in the house. I also used to hear whispers or movement in the walls of that same house. I never thought anything of it because my parents always used to tell me I was imagining it or it was the neighbours making the noise because their house was attached to ours.

Those incidents were in Scotland where I was born and lived for 13 years, until I moved to New Zealand when I was 13. Not so long ago, about 6 months or so, it was a Wednesday morning and I was home alone. I was getting ready to go to uni and I was drying my hair. There was a CD sitting on top of my TV and all of a sudden, it flew off my TV and it hit me with a bit of force. It didn't leave a mark on me or anything but it wasn't possible for a CD to hit me that hard if it was from my hair dryer. I got a bit freaked out and I tried to see if it could have been my hair dryer. I remember that the CD was flat on my TV; it wasn't hanging off the edge or anything, because I only put it there a few minutes before I started drying my hair. Also, it wouldn't have been possible for the CD just to fall off the TV and hit me because it was too far away, it had to have come quite a distance, a couple of meters or so.

A week later, around about the same time on a Wednesday morning, I was home alone and getting ready for uni again. I was straightening my hair and listening to my music when one of my Winnie the Pooh teddies from when I was little, fell off my TV (the same TV that the CD flew from. There were no windows open at all and there were no draughts coming into my room.

My parents and friends thought I was crazy when I told them about it and it frustrated me because I know what I saw. It was only then that I made the connection from when I was little. It only ever happened when I was home alone, never when anyone else was around.

A few months before those events happened, I heard my dog barking in the hallway one day. This wasn't unusual as she does bark quite often, but she was barking really loudly and she seemed concerned, which concerned me. I walked into the hallway to find her standing at the bottom of the hallway, standing in one place, staring at something at the opposite end of the hallway. When I looked down the hallway, nothing was there but she just would not stop barking. There are no windows in the hallway, so she couldn't have seen anyone walk past the house or anything. I know that it is said to be that dogs can see/sense ghosts and that's why I mentioned this. Does this sound like there is a ghost in my house or am I just over-thinking these situations?

Please comment and let me know what you think because I would really like to know.

Thanks

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from New Zealand

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, amandariot, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Ikatsu (3 stories) (24 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2010-12-08)
Thank you for supporting my point when I say to be very cautious in communication with spirits. As everyone else said, you still have much to learn when it comes to the paranormal, and because your sister's friend's mother can see them and has had more experience, yes, keep her around or ask for her advice about this ghost that's trying to contact you. Take it lightly, one step at a time, because you don't want to bring anything else into your home on accident or anything malevolent.

Please excuse me for not talking about protection earlier--I was thinking it, but I did not explain it in length.
shamby (15 stories) (100 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-12-07)
No problem:] it's what we're here to do, to help and to give advice. Plus it makes us feel less crazy when people have experienced things like we have. Lets us know we aren't alone in our experiences.
Angela35 (1 stories) (1 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-12-07)
I truly believe if you are going to try to communicate with it, you should have support and protection, especially when you don't know if it's a ghost or demonic presence. Could a close friend be there for you? Research on how you can give yourself protection first, one I use is a prayer.
Let it be known to the presence that you are the one controlling the communication and what limits you are setting by saying this is your home and to move on.
Take Care and Good Luck!
amandariot (1 stories) (7 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-12-07)
Shamby: My siter's friends mum can sense ghosts when they are around her, so that is a good idea to get her to comve round to my hosue to see if she senses anything. All of the advice all of you are giving me is great and I appreciate it very much (:
shamby (15 stories) (100 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-12-07)
It's not your imagination! People don't like to believe what they can't see. Living in a home with activity for nearly my entire life, I know exactly what you mean. My parent's denied it for years, mostly my mom.

The spirit doesn't have to know you personally to be attached to you! The CD throwing was borderline dangerous behavior. It sounds to me like the activity is picking up, if you choose to communicate with the spirit then the activity might pick up even more. Especially if it isn't nice, then it will just get worse and be more frightening than ever. EVPs are generally pretty safe if you do it Ghost Hunter style like Ikatsu suggested.

Also, if you know anyone that could be a medium, contact them. Ask if they would be willing to do a walk through of your house. (I had a friend who has prophetic dreams who pointed out all the paranormally active places in my house without me ever mentioning it to her) Please do not use an ouija. It seems quick and easy but bad things can come from them. But I've said this before and I'll say it again, playing with an ouija is like playing with fire, the more you play, the more likely you are to get burned.
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
13 years ago (2010-12-07)
amandariot: If you choose to attempt any kind of communication, I would highly suggest you learn shielding techniques... At this point in your paranormal experience level, I wouldn't recommend any form of communicating at all... Any form of communication, ie: Ouija, pendulum, ghost writing, or asking for signs, is opening yourself up to all those who wish to enter... Without the proper barriers in place, you could unintentionally allow other not so nice entities to enter into your space, that may not be easy to get rid of...

I think the recorder or video is a good suggestion, however, I would just allow it to record, without asking for answers to questions, or for signs...

Keep us posted, please... 😊
amandariot (1 stories) (7 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-12-07)
Thank you so much everyone (: Ikatsu, I will definitely try and communicate with it and see if I get anything out of it. 😁
4d (15 stories) (167 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2010-12-07)
Trust your instincts young lady 😆! Joking aside, it is very important for you to accept and acknowledge these strange happenings. Many people immediately write it off as something that is explainable even if they can not reproduce the same results. Unfortunately for you, like so many others, you don't have a family that is very understanding in these things, don't be worried. Your Ghost Stories is a great place to get advice from understanding and experienced individuals! Since I started coming here I have only received wonderful comments and suggestions. Feel free to express concerns with the group here, they are supportive ❤!

Keep your strength up and show what ever it is that you are not afraid.

Aloha,
4d
Ikatsu (3 stories) (24 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-12-07)
Some people use ghost writing, which is when they write on a pad and (sometimes) can elicit a response back. Do NOT use a ouija board, please, whatever you do.

I'd say a "safe" way to communicate, the safest there is, anyway, is to get a recorder and maybe try to capture EVPs, ask it some questions, tell it to give it a sign that it's there? You might catch some voices. I wouldn't get heavily involved, just do it ghost hunter style.:D Lol. Ask it basic questions to see what it might want from you or what it is. Maybe even take some pictures you think you see activity a lot.

And ghosts can be people you don't know, for sure. No one close to you has to die for this to happen. It could be attached to the house that you're in, which could have both been haunted, (and I'm sure it's a common occurrence.)

Also, the activity is recent, right? When it happens and you're alone might be the best time, just don't be afraid. I'm sure that ghost isn't there to hurt you, just trying to talk. And if you decide you don't want it in your house anymore, try telling it that this is your home now, it's scaring you, and it needs to pass on.

Please update me if you decide to follow my advice. 😁
amandariot (1 stories) (7 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-12-07)
Also, I always feel like something is watching me from behind. Not sure if that's just me being paranoid or not haha
amandariot (1 stories) (7 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-12-07)
Thanks guys, that's really helpful. Do oyu have any suggestions on how to communicate with it in a safe way? I don't really know anyone that's died apart from my mum's best friend and my great grandmother who I wasn't close with, so I don't think it's anyone that I know. I've also been seeing black shadows at night time in the lounge, I can see it in the corner of my eye but when I turn to look, there is nothing there at all. 😕
Ikatsu (3 stories) (24 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-12-07)
Hello Amanda, I would say something to the degree of what Applerose did. A lot of those things couldn't happen on their own, and I really dislike when people call others crazy if they've witnessed something paranormal. You are not crazy, and all of this was very real to you. As for your dog, I would always trust my pets when it comes to these things. They're there for your protection. If they saw something you couldn't see in your house and was barking at it, I would trust to think it is paranormal.

I think it's possibly attached to you in some way, and perhaps you're susceptible to a sixth sense, which is why it only happens when you're alone. It doesn't seem harmful, it just wants its presence to be known to you and is trying to contact you.

Apple suggested contacting it and trying to communicate with it. I would say do so, but with extreme caution. It might be like a cat--once you feed it, it never goes away, just gets more attached. And if this turns into a bother for you, it would be more complicated to get rid of it. You don't know what kind of spirit this is, so please be careful. It's better safe than sorry. 😁 and yes, please do keep us updated.
applerose (13 stories) (139 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-12-07)
It sounds like you have a ghost - you said your parents would tell you that it was your imagination when you heard things at such a young age - but I feel children see a lot more then most adults - there were several things that happen to me as a child and now that I think back on them - I can really tell you it was not my IMAGINATION - children have a 6th sense about them and I think that ghost and other go through children to get messages across or when "they" just want to play. (sorry I have gone to left field here and yadayadayada - LOL) what I'm trying to say is Yes, you have had experiences with ghost and it really does seem that you have a ghost now - if the ghost has not try to harm you - try to communicate with it - and ask what it wants - don't push to hard - if the ghost wants to get in contact with you it will reply. Good luck and let us know what you find out.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: