You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Light As A Feather, Stiff As A Board

Real Ghost Stories

Light As A Feather, Stiff As A Board

 

During my 7th year in grade school I had a slumber party with my girlfriends; Shannon, Randal and Carrie. Once they arrived we discussed our plans for the evening. I wanted to do something different (besides watching scary movies, playing video games, etc.). Shannon then mentioned a game called, "Light as a feather, stiff as a board." According to paranormal.com, "During the game it requires at least five people. One person, the victim, lies relaxed on the floor with eyes closed. The other four participants surround her, one on each side, one at the head and one at the feet. Each of the participants places two fingers of each hand beneath the victim. With their eyes closed, they begin to chant, "Light as a feather... Stiff as a board..." over and over. With just the slightest effort, the participants are able to raise the victim off the floor in what appears to be the defiance of gravity." Before we started playing I realized one person was missing.

I called my friend, Yessina to see if she was coming over to my house. I told her about our plans and she refused to go. I said, "Why don't you want to come Yessina?" "The game you're playing is considered witch craft. Did you know that?" Me, "I don't believe in that stuff. It's only a game." Yessina, "If you play that game you are calling out to the devil."

After our conversation I still did not believe it was witch craft so the game was still on for the night. The only problem was that we were shorthanded. But we decided to give it a try anyway. I was the first one to lie on the floor. Carrie was above my head while Randal and Shannon were on my sides. They started to chant, "Light as a feather, stiff as a board!" I was waiting to be up in the air but I did not feel a thing. Eight minutes later I opened my eyes and asked them if it worked. They all said, "No." So we gave it a shot a few more times but still nothing. Afterwards we were all bummed out. We decided to go outside in the middle of the night (12 am) and walk around. One hour later we walked back to my place. As we were getting closer I saw that all of our lights were on. Then I saw my mom standing near the stair railing below the chandelier. I was freaking out and said, "Crap!" I'm going to get grounded for a week!" But as we got closer I realized that it was not my mom. The person that I saw was wearing a worn out white sleeping gown. She also had shoulder length black curly hair, pale skin and purple circles underneath her eyes. She was on the edge of the stair way and was leaning forward.

I asked my friends if they were seeing what I was seeing. They all said, "Yes!" I turned around and said, " this isn't a prank right? Did you guys invite someone to crash my party?" They said, "No, why would we do that to you." So I ran in the back of my house and entered through the sliding door. Then I ran upstairs checked all rooms to find the strange woman, I could not find her. Me, Shannon, Randal and Carrie were all scared to go upstairs. It was getting late (2 am). One hour later we all gave it rest and went upstairs. Randal and Carrie slept on the floor next to the bed while me and Shannon slept on the bed.

As we were trying to sleep Shannon started shaking me. I woke up and she told me to look at my blinds. I saw the woman's shadow... It was weird! It was like she was standing outside of my window with her arms stretched out near her sides of her body. I did not want to believe what was going on so I said, "It's just our imagination. Let's try to go to sleep." So as we were trying to sleep for the second time Randal and Carrie started screaming. I asked them what was wrong. They said, "We heard voices coming from your closet!" We made a smart choice not to check it out. 10 minutes later Randal just got up from bed. Walked to the door, turned around and sat down so she could face us. I sat up on my bed to see what was going on now. I looked at Randel and asked what was wrong. But then I noticed something was odd about her. I took a closer look. It was not Randal! It was the woman! I woke up Shannon and Carrie. I told them to look at Randal and see if she looked like that woman. They all said, "Yes!" We told that to Randal but she thought we were all playing jokes on her. I was fed up with what was going on so I turned on the lights. Randal was back to normal. I told everyone that we should sleep this off and discuss more about it in the morning.

The next day everyone packed up their stuff and called their parents immediate. So I was left alone in the room. I kept telling myself that it was all in my head. I called Yessina and told her what happened. She said, "So now do you believe me?" me, "yes, I was so stupid. How long is this woman going to stay in my room?" Yessenia, "Depends how many times you played the game. How many times did you play?" Me, "We played three or four times. I can't remember." Yessenia, "yea. She's going to stay for a week in your room!"

After I heard her say that I immediately grabbed my things and placed it in my parent's bed room. So for a week I slept in my parent's bed room. On Saturday I slept in my room. I was so scared but knew that everything was going to be alright. I turned off the lights... It was pitch black! The whole time I was sleeping I felt like there was someone watching me. It took me awhile to get to sleep but then finally I got some shot eye. In the morning I could sense that whoever she was was gone... I am a believer now! I also learned my lesson! Don't play with witch craft or anything that has to do with the paranormal!

Other hauntings by twisted_individual

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Illinois

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, twisted_individual, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Rozemaiden (12 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-08-31)
1. Witchcraft is not evil.

2. Light as a feather, stiff as board didn't gain any connotations with witchcraft until after that rather silly move "The Craft" came out in the 90's.

3. If it does work, chances are high you're experiencing a rather awesome effect of quantum physics. Kudos! 😆
Exranza (1 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-02-06)
I do recall some years ago giving this game a try at my sisters slumber party. We failed in getting anyone to levitate, but I remember quite clearly on my turn as the "victim", that I became nearly stiff as a board, and was unable to move very much during the experience.

A good tale of your touch with the unknown, it takes me back down memory lane. 😁
redphx (4 stories) (827 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-01-13)
I've never heard of this game actually working but I am sure that it could if enough concentration was done. I also don't think this would be associated with anything magical or otherwise.

HazMan

I am with you 110% my views are such as yours. But I have to remind myself that most like to live in ignorance. The human is a crazy animal. I'm glad you are able use your brain! I don't believe in the devil and I think that evil is really dependant on perception. In many cultures I would be considered an evil being. But I will not continue a philisophical conversation on this page.
HazMan_III (4 stories) (91 posts)
+4
13 years ago (2011-01-13)
I've heard that a lot of people on here respect this JimD fellow, but I'd just like to refute his claim that any knowledege not acquired from the Bible or anything else that is deemed holy is received from a source of evil. I don't want to offend anyone, but I keep coming across these silly comments about how God and Jesus and the Christian religion are all that is good and holy in this world. The itch I've had to dispel all of this has, quite frankly, turned me rabid.

First off, I can say with much conviction that God did not come down from his throne in heaven and dictate everything in the Bible, and I do not believe he approves of everything that is in it, much less the close minded comments some of you spew. God did not concentrate all of the knowledge that is vital to our existence and well being in that outdated rule book. I believe He equips us with the tools we need and makes help available in many forms, whether it be in a physician when we are sick or our inherent sense of right and wrong.

It has been widely accepted in many societies who practice ritual magick that for humans to be able cast spells or consciously send out energy to manifest their will, there needed to be permission from God. On a similar note, not all demons are evil. The word demon actually means "replete with knowledge." Demons have been around since before any monotheism existed, and some were actually the gods of old.

Witchcraft is not evil. Nor are all rituals witchraft. We all participate in rituals, even in present day religions, including Christianity. In witchcraft, there are three types of magick- white, gray, and black, and no one who is practices it seriously would encourage the practice of black magick by anyone. Wicca, although not considered witchcraft by all, does promote many positive ideals, so it isn't fair to write off all religions that don't follow Christ or Jehovah as evil. To be quite honest, I don't think I've ever heard a pagan condemn Christianity or any other religion, so perhaps you'd do well in making a note of that and everything else I've said.

Keep an open mind, and don't treat humility as if it were the devil himself. I think it'd do you good.
clo-clo (4 stories) (26 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-01-13)
completely off subject does that game or whatever you like to call it actually work? I have not heard it to be linkd with witch craft either to be honest... Interesting...
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-12-16)
lol you know me, JuuJuu... Always on my soapbox. 😆 I don't think I have a single post on here that's less than fifty words, lol! With the exception of this one maybe...
BadJuuJuu (guest)
+1
13 years ago (2010-12-15)
Very well said DeviousAngel. 😊
That's all I wanted to so say, but it's less than fifty characters lol. So I had to say something else too. 😭
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2010-12-15)
Word to the wise, as far as I have learned from Christians I've spoken with, God is forgiving and loving, and I hardly believe that he would allow ignorant children to be tormented by "the devil" or other such evil spirits through silly children's games. God would understand that children aren't always aware of repercussions, and like a good parent would, protect them from harm.

And by the way, knowledge is not evil, ignorance is evil. If people did not seek knowledge, no one would learn from their mistakes and this thing called "the internet" which people feel it so necessary to use as a forum to breed ignorance and intolerance like STDs on steroids would not exist.

Witchcraft...HAH. Everything these days is deemed "witchcraft". Games, prayer, burning candles, everything that doesn't have a religious seal of approval on it, because ignorant people fear and hate what they don't understand or agree with. I'm glad to live my life without fear and with an open mind. If that damns me to hell, than I will GLADLY burn knowing I lived my life to the fullest, and did the best I could to be what -I- consider to be a 'good person'.

Thank you ❤
Worried_Brit_Chick (6 stories) (108 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-12-14)
I don't think the game can be attributed to physics/suggestion/mind tricks etc, otherwise I'd be able to lift a car with my pinky just by saying the little chant. I'm not remotely religious, but I would consider this game to be on a par with the ouija board. Something not to be messed with.
bayouboy (guest)
+3
13 years ago (2010-12-13)
In fact, no need to respond 'cause I won't be back to read it. It's morons like you that make it no fun to read other peoples experiences. They always have to take what's been said and try to put an 'Einstein' sounding statement in the comments so that we all go, "Wow, that was enlightened." It got tired really quick. I'll just leave you to teach class... Try not to drag too many souls to hell with your knowlege.

To everyone else that is not in the moron category, thanks for the time and words.

Adieu
bayouboy (guest)
+3
13 years ago (2010-12-13)
I am an idiot... For arguing with an idiot. Please forgive me for not acknowledging your awesome wisdom.
How lame.

This comment from 4thDimension is hidden due to low rating. Show comment

bayouboy (guest)
+2
13 years ago (2010-12-12)
Whether you want to call it 'the power of group collective consciousness' or witchcraft, I too have played this game, only it was not a little girl we were picking up. He was a 275 lb man. It was as if he were floating. You can talk physics and mind crap all you want. That was scary, man! I was young and stupid.
Anyway, I do attribute this to the occult, mainly because my God made their god and he does not do parlor tricks like theirs does. Need a mountain moved... Call mine, 'light as a feather'... Call theirs. Meet Him for yourselves and you'll know this.
Calling things by a different name so as to deal with it better, doesn't change the facts. You can stand in the garage all day, but that doesn't make you a compact car. Saying that something is not of another world comforts only you. What comes through to this world when you open a door, doesn't care if you believe or not.

Bayouboy
4thDimension (2 posts)
-1
13 years ago (2010-12-11)
This is merely a display of the power of group collective consciousness and ultimately the power of one's own mind, will, and suggestion. If you believe it, it is so. JimD, I respect you as a man of GOD, but modern spirituality exceeds religion. This is not an example of witchcraft
JimD (431 posts)
-1
13 years ago (2010-12-11)
Hi;

I'm glad all is ok. It is witchcraft, by the way. Why? Any time one seeks knowledge or power outside of the Bible, other holy books, the sacramments,Mass, etc., sacramentals, i.e. Holy water, etc., one does in fact get it from an evil sourse. None of my clients, at least yet, has suffered after this particular game, but I had a horrible infestation after the so - called "Bloody...", I won't finish it. You're correct, and I'm glad you're fine. God bless you. Jim.
twisted_individual (4 stories) (11 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2010-12-11)
Hi White Buffalo,

Yessina was raised in a strict religious household. I could see why she would reject herself to playing with games that seem a bit out of the ordinary. That was the only time I heard "Light as a feather, stiff as a board," being classified as witch craft. My parents did wake up and told us to go back to sleep. This happened when all of us where screaming in my room (after we heard voices from my closet and saw the girls shadow on my blinds). I was going to tell my parents but I already knew what they were going to say. They would have never believed me and accuse me of making it up. After one week she was gone and I never seen her again after that
Faheemah (1 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-12-11)
Yes I as a muslim believe that what you experienced was sort of a ghost called a Jin, they can be good or bad but also dangerous. In muslim countries light Soudi arabia, which craft is illegal because of how dangerous it is, In England where I live, someone experienced a bad Jin and had a fever for a week. Any way hope your alright XX Btw I believe that there are Jins living in your house all the time but it is dangerous to summon them ❤ 😉
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+2
13 years ago (2010-12-10)
twisted individual - I am going to echo whitebuffalo's comment about this not being paranormal. I am 45-years-old and played this game at a sleepover when I was 12. FYI, it worked when my friends and I played it 😆.

Wikipedia has a great explanation for why this works, without anything paranormal-related.

I'm not saying I don't believe your story. I've had very strange things happen to me throughout my life (some of them I've shared on here).

The "light as a feather" incident could be totally unrelated to the woman you and your friends saw. Did you have any other experiences in your home?
whitebuffalo (guest)
+4
13 years ago (2010-12-10)
You know what cracks me up?
We used to play this game ALL the time, and we NEVER linked it with the Paranormal. The devil, and witch craft were not even THOUGHT to be inked to this "game" (just like Walking Though a Broom Handle). I am NOT trying to start a fight, really. I am just showing the "generation" difference.
YEARS ago, these "ghost stories" were called Spiritual Awakenings...
Any way, I digress. I just thought that was interesting.
I just HAVE to ask... When did this game get classified as such? Anyone know? It is a "lesson" in gravity and displaced energy. Nothing else, really.
Please do not take offence to this, I am only speaking from the experience of a Mother who has survived MANY a sleep over~ Did your parents awaken at all?
You had screaming, and lots of movement going on... Did you even inform your parents as to why you were staying in THEIR room? What was their reaction?
Thank you.
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2010-12-09)
Hahaha sounds like you guys have been watching that movie called "The Craft" 😆 I believe they played that exact game. I agree with you its well known the more you read into and study things paranormal the more you are opening yourself up to experience these kind of things. I'm sure it was very frightning at the time though, I'm glad everything is okay now.

Thanks for sharing.

Dan
twisted_individual (4 stories) (11 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-12-09)
I'm glad you enjoyed my story Worried_Brit_chick. I would ask my friend Yessina but I no longer speak to her. This happen 10 years ago. When I was typing my storie I was getting goose bumps thinking about my past experience. I will never play that game again haha.
Moongrim (2 stories) (871 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-12-09)
Nice little story. And it came with a moral to it too. Nice bonus.
Worried_Brit_Chick (6 stories) (108 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-12-09)
EEEEP! What a creepy story!

You should ask your friend how she knew the lady would be in your room for a week! This is a horrid thing to think, but perhaps if your friend knows about spells and witchcraft she sent a spirit to spook you? It could have been her way of making sure you and your other friends don't dabble in witchcraft again, as you guys aren't very experienced with it. Maybe she doesn't want you to play a game that could land you in trouble, so she decided that the best way to prevent you from bringing harm to yourselves was to scare you!

Otherwise, maybe you did summon something by playing the game, or a passing spirit heard you and decided to hang around for a while as they were curious. Don't forget, time is probably immeasurable to spirits.

I am very glad that your home is back to being peaceful, and that you didn't get hurt. I bet you'll think twice about which games you play in the future though!

Great story, thanks very much 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: