You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: Haunted Home

Real Ghost Stories

Haunted Home

 

There are two parts to this story so let me start by saying I do not consider myself a sensitive by any means. I've never had precognitive thoughts or dreams, aside from the odd feeling of déjà vu. Most of this story is comprised of things that other members of my family have seen or heard but some of the experiences are mine.

I'm twenty five, and for as long as I can remember I've never been entirely comfortable in my parents' house. It was a new build, terraced house when they bought it about twenty nine years ago. From what we can work out it was built on unused land that was possibly fields or wastelands. It's about two hundred feet from the back door to the local park and looks out over a disused church. There's no evidence or public record of there being a burial site or graveyard where the houses now stand (although a next door neighbour did dig up part of a broken headstone some twenty years ago, but believed it was just brought in with the rubble used to base the gardens.)

Not long after they moved in, when my brother was a year old, my grandfather (an ex- naval officer) passed away after a variety of health complications, including having a leg amputated below the knee, and in the weeks leading up to and after the funeral my Nana came to stay at the house. She stayed in my brother's room, on a fold out bed. About two weeks after my grandfather's passing she woke up, seemingly without reason, in the middle of the night and when she looked towards the window she saw him standing there in full dress uniform. He walked along the side of the bed and around the foot, towards the door. My Nan called out to him and he turned, smiled and walked out. After that happened, my brother started talking to someone in the middle of the night and when I was born, and old enough to talk I did the same.

Also my mum had a few experiences, the two most memorable being 1: the feeling of someone trailing a hand up the bottom of her leg one morning after my dad had left for work and she was sleeping in, and 2: My brother used to get up in the middle of the night and go into to my parents room and sleep on the floor by the bed, and one night the handle to their door went up and down a couple of times without opening. Sometimes, in the summer, the doors would stick so my mum got out of bed thinking that it was my brother trying to get in and he couldn't. She opened the door and he wasn't there, and when she checked him, he was fast asleep. The dog they had at the time would sleep at the top of the stairs and would follow my brother when he got up, but she was still fast asleep.

The older I got, the more uneasy I felt. I never liked going upstairs in the dark and would always walk up them with my back against the wall as the feeling of being watched from both the top and the bottom was so strong.

I never had any profoundly paranormal experiences while I lived at home, just paranoia and one occasion when my bed was shaken, but some family members visited with their young son one day and he came upstairs to play, but later refused to go down the stairs because he didn't like the old man standing at the bottom.

We never really came up with an explanation for the occurrences, but they could all be quite easily put down to imagination. I like to think that when my Nana saw my grandfather he was coming to let her know that he was the strong, healthy and proud man he used to be and was saying goodbye.

Other hauntings by ourlittlesecret

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, ourlittlesecret, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

MADMai16E (5 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-12-14)
It could be a manifestation of late family members through their material things, it could also be your grandfather watching over you, or the land the house is situated on could be where two or more leigh (lay, lee) lines intersect or a "hot spot". But if the kids were afraid of the presence you might want to call a paranormal group whether you feel like you're wasting their time or not. Children are very perceptive with the true nature of things. We lose that when we stop believing in Santa Clause, be he the one who disembowels your children or the one who leave behind toys.
-Mai
ourlittlesecret (2 stories) (2 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2010-12-14)
Darkness: I agree with you, I don't think that my grandfather would try to scare any of us, especially after how he appeared to my Nana. In regards to renovations, we did do some but it was a long time after the occurrences but on the other hand we do have quite a few bits and pieces that have been collected from late family members so I guess it could easily be one of them. One that springs to mind as I'm writing this is my great grandfather, who I am told could be fairly intimidating to look at but was actually a pretty funny person.

Aussidaz: My Nana showed me a picture and said it was exactly how he look when she'd seen him. It was taken towards the end of his service, he was about mid forties and in full dress uniform and a huge smile on his face!
aussiedaz (19 stories) (1565 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2010-12-14)
Yes, your Nana did see your grandfather and your gut feeling about that experience is correct... He wanted her to remember him as the man he was, I would be interested to know if he looked younger? The door handle movement is further validation that he is with you... What we have to understand about the spiritual realm... It is important to them especially our love ones, to come through and let us know they're with us... They understand our concerns and often do it in a way that is more comfortable and less frightening... See how your grandfather was walking out the room rather than walking toward your nan and the smile is his way of saying alls good... Your feelings of being watch or paranoia, does not mean that there is a malicious ghost of some sort... Your own spiritual energy can sometimes sense other spirits especially in close quarters, and this affects the nerve endings and other physical senses more claustrophobic, which give us that eerie type of sensation... Thanks for sharing...

Aussie 😁
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
+3
13 years ago (2010-12-13)
I think your Nana did see your Grandfather that night so I would take comfort in that. Although the rest of the experiences are not connected to him in my opinion, I don't think he would try frighten loved ones on purpose. These experiences are being witnessed by various members of your family so it seems that this spirit is seeking to be acknowledged for some reason.
This could be connected to something brought into the house, perhaps renovations that have happened, or connected to a particular person. Do any of these make sense to you at all?

Thanks for sharing.

Dan
ourlittlesecret (2 stories) (2 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-12-13)
My parents still live there and honestly I didn't think it would be the type of thing that an investigator would be interested in.
Char89 (3 stories) (14 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-12-13)
Wow very interesting story... Like a old man at the bottom of the stairs...? Freaky... Thanks for sharing! 😊
Ramzey (9 stories) (130 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-12-13)
Curious: does anyone live in that home now? Have you ever thought about having it investigated through a paranormal group perhaps? Thanks for sharing your story. 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: