You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: Was It A Doppelganger?

Real Ghost Stories

Was It A Doppelganger?

 

I haven't submitted any stories in awhile and I have no idea why I've slacked so long to post this one! It happened last summer and I'm just getting around to sharing it now.

To understand the circumstances of what happened and what may have transpired a few things are in order. Last summer I was bitten by a wood tick and contacted Lyme Disease. During my recovery I spent at my fathers house (other well known stories in my collection) re-cooperating. In the beginning stage I was very delirious or maybe I wasn't. I slept a lot and my head hurt much of the time. Now that the specifics are in order here is my story.

July of 09, a usual day not feeling well during my stages of re-cooperation. I'd been antibiotic-ized so recovery was soon to follow. I didn't go out days before I knew I was sick. Today I was feeling a little better and went outside to get out of the house. I sat in my car soaking up the rays of warm sunshine. I noticed my grandma walking down the hill to the house. She does this everyday but usually she does it in the morning. Being out of it in sorts I didn't think much of why she was coming down at that hour of the day. I sat quietly in my car because I didn't feel like associating with her. I watched as she walked past my car, and heard the gravel as she walked, and to the house, unlock the door and walk in the house. She was in there for a very long time. I had my phone on me and texted a friend my grandma must be stealing stuff in the house with her large gunny sack (a joke my brothers and I always said when grandma took stuff).

After 20 minutes I got concerned that my grandma was in the house for so long so I got out of the car and walked to the house to check. First I noticed the door was locked. Once inside it was dark and I'd called for my grandma and she never answered. I checked the entire house and she was NO WHERE! That's when I called my friend and said my grand-mother was not in the house! I saw her with my eyes, heard her with my ears walk down to the house and enter. She never came out. She was not even in the house. Granted I was not well, but I know when I hallucinate, my grandmother simply disappeared!

I'm no expert on double ghosts. I never even knew such a thing as doppelgangers until a friend told me about them after I rehearsed this story. I have much to learn yet in the spook world!

Other hauntings by NightGhost

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Wisconsin

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, NightGhost, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

NightGhost (10 stories) (6 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-02-26)
Sometimes we end up right back where we started. I can blame this story on hallucinations since I was very ill. Funny how any induced drugs or mind malfunctions make the unknown unexplainable.
SageWolf (10 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-12-30)
Be careful with Dopplegangers... They can be extremely dangerous. According to German myth, if you meet up with your own, you will die incredibly soon. It is thought that Dopplegangers come from an alternate dimension where they are the exact opposite of their counterpart in this dimension. The one way that I know of to identify them is that their image is a reverse of the real person, meaning it's like when you look in a mirror. I've heard that you can also tell because supposedly they have glowing green eyes. I can not validate that yet, but that is because after some previous experiences, I am too scared to find out more, I can only warn others to be careful when dealing with them.
DCinAZ (guest)
 
13 years ago (2010-12-29)
Great story Nightghost, I have to go with Miriam and Badjuujuu on this one. A residual haunting is something I believe can happen before a persom dies. Think about it, if it's something that person would do on a regular basis, as your grandmother did by coming down the hill to your house every day, then I can certainly imagine that action could become a 'recorded action' that happened to replay itself, as you witnessed, that day. I really like this story, thanks for sharing. 😊
ambercrystal (23 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-12-27)
hello miriam,
About the vardogr a similar thing used to happen to me when I was about 5 or maybe 6 years old. In the mornings my mum always came to take something from a shelf in fron tof my bed and sometimes I was sleeping and seeing her do so but then when I'd wake up I'd see her do the same thing and if I'd ask her about if she came earlier she would say that I must've been dreaming. I don't know though if this is the same thing LOL
hippiechick83 (5 stories) (112 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-12-23)
Creepy! The whole Doppleganger thing has always freaked me out. 😆
NightGhost (guest)
 
13 years ago (2010-12-21)
Ive been thinking about this situation and I have witnessed a brother, my mom, and an ex boyfriend briefly too in spirit and they are all very much alive. Out of the Three my moms didn't frighten meA but her an the ex were very brief impressions. Seeing my brother as a child in this very house scared me knowing it was not him. I believe something devious always lurked at this house. I seen my mom at her house and my ex boyfriend at a hotel I worked at. I have seen a passed away friend too but that's for another story. As for my grandma only god knows why.
Midnight_Mist (4 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-12-19)
that must have been wierd seeing her then shes gone! 😕
Love
Midnight_mist
BadJuuJuu (guest)
+1
13 years ago (2010-12-19)
She makes this walk every day? Occasionally a residual "haunting" of a living person occurs. The repetitive nature of your grandmother's walk makes me think that's what happened- a residual.
NightGhost (guest)
 
13 years ago (2010-12-19)
Howdy readers. Lol No my grandma never came after the event. The theory about Scandys reminded me of another episode that fits that description I just thought that guy was weird tho. Lol & I'm a she not a he. Lmao I get that alot.
Miriam (6 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2010-12-19)
Hello Melime, I believe the ghostly encounter you're referring to is called a Vardogr. It's a ghost that announces peoples arrival before they actually arrive by making all the same noises such as the sound of the door opening, the keys being put down, the shoes being removed, the person walking to the kitchen to open their mail and so on and than minutes later the real event takes place with all the same noises. It's exclusive to Scandinavians and Scots. You could be on the right track though, but it's a visual prelude rather than an audio one. I wonder if his Grandma came to the house soon after that happened?
Melime (10 stories) (64 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-12-19)
Maybe it was one of those ghosts who recreate everything a living person do, and show themselves to people who are used to see them do those things, if you understand what I mean. It's actually called a swedish phenomena, since it almost always happens in Sweden (I can't remember the real name for it). Like when you hear the keys in the lock at your door when you're waiting for someone, but there's no one there when you check. Never heard of something as vivid though, but it's a possibility!
Miriam (6 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2010-12-18)
I just joined this page and read your story. I wonder if what you saw is a form of a residual haunting. I've always wondered if I myself could be haunting something someplace and don't know it by means of a residual haunting. If a persons spirit can replay itself over and over like a video repeating itself but yet hasn't actually died, does that mean that it's possible a person can have 2 kinds of spirits? One that contains a repeat action or memory (like your Grandma walking the same path everyday) and the one that actually goes to heaven? Is it possible that we all have an earth bound spirit that can manifest even while we are still alive yet not be anymore conscious or relevant than a puff of smoke?
NightGhost (guest)
 
13 years ago (2010-12-17)
Aloha. Chat I read your story. Very good! Devious Angel I thought about that door thing but every door leads back to the driveway to go to her house. Lol I'm certain its a door thing but still I never seen it! Id love to figure this mystery out!
chat234 (4 stories) (16 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-12-17)
wow creepy story. I had a similar experience with a doppelganger it took forum of my girlfriend. But what made it real creepy was that it had her smell and I grab on to it and followed it and then it just disappear into my closet.
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2010-12-17)
I really don't think that this was an astral projection because astral projections don't usually make environmental sounds when they move. From what I understand, you can see them but they are insubstantial and cannot move things, or as in this case, crunch gravel underfoot or open doors.

IMO, this was either a doppleganger as you suspected or a visual/audial hallucination due to your illness. Are you certain that your granny may not have forgotten that she ran a little errand, and perhaps exited through another door?
vulcan10 (5 stories) (332 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2010-12-17)
If you had of been in perfect health it would sound like a doppleganger or the facsimile there of, but since you were and after looking at some of the side effects of lyme disease which include memory loss, sleep disturbances, or mood changes and altered mental status, then you can never count that out as the cause. I knew what most considered a doppleganger but generalized at best, and after looking it up, other than using longer words and more of them, not to many really knew any more about them either. Also, any direct stimulation to the left temporoparietal junction of your brain can bring about the same perception.
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+2
13 years ago (2010-12-17)
NightGhost: I agree with DARKNESS, it could have been an image of your granny... Dopplegangers TRY to imitate another person, however, they can't get everything right, so the image that is seen is slightly different from the real person... Eye color, hair style, mannerisms, are all things they can't get a grip on...It's a shame you weren't able to get a closer look, as you would have noticed the dis-similarities...

Thank you for posting! ❤
KaylaRigz (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-12-17)
That does seem quite scarey at the fact she was never really there. I had a similar story but me and my sister both saw it. Prehaps I will post it will forms are open for submission. ❤

-KaylaRigz
dreamergal72 (6 stories) (793 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-12-17)
Oh My that kind of Scary to see that I would have been confuse if that happen to me but Hope You don't see that again and Great Story Nightghost
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2010-12-16)
Hmmm you know this all does sound like a Doppelganger, although sometimes people can Astraly Project themselves and appear to you in spiritual form, I have heard from a good friend of mine on this website his name is Aussiedaz and he has seen his wife I believe doing this exact same thing. Just a thought.

Thanks for sharing.

Dan
NightGhost (guest)
+1
13 years ago (2010-12-16)
Hi my friendly-readers.:) Sorry I was in a rush when I wrote this & I see I left a few things out. It was 4 in the afternoon that day. I did ask granny the next day if she'd been down at that hour. She said no she always walks down in the morning. I knew that! I told her I was ill and thought I saw her but I very well know I did! Weird! Thanks for reading.
thebee (18 posts)
-1
13 years ago (2010-12-16)
Thats a real good story I didn't know what a doppleganger was before but after reading your story I get it, its like a ghostly double. Best story I read in a while because I believe every word you wrote and felt your terror.
Best wishes for you and your grandma
Thebee
troyarn (5 stories) (479 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-12-16)
Very weird story. These dopplegangers tales freak me out but I love to read them. This one was very good. I'm just thinking how strange it must have been to not only see her, but to hear the gravel crunch beneath your grandmothers feet. Thanks very much for sharing this.
notascrazyasitseems (5 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-12-16)
woah scary story! I wonder if you asked your grandmother after this if she really went into the house... Maybe just a coincidence? 😉

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: