You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Famous Anchorage Ghost

Real Ghost Stories

The Famous Anchorage Ghost

 

I've been wanting to submit this story since I first came to this site. This happened when I was a teenager working for my mom back in 1971. My home town is Big Bear Lake, California. It's an old mining town in the San Bernardino Mountains of Southern Calif. And when I grew up there we had no stop lights and up until 1970 no major fast food joints. We were a tourist town all year round. We had our ghost stories too. The one I'm sharing is about a ghost named George who resides at "the Captains Anchorage" restaurant and bar. Now at the time this happened, 1971, it was called "Stein and Sirloin" and my mother was the manager. I'll have to write another story sometime about my mom, let's just say for now that my mother never let spirits/ghosts bother her. It seemed like nothing could ever 'surprize' her when it came to the paranormal, she treated them just like she treated the living. If you got in her way, watch out!

Anyway, my little sister Sheila and I worked bussing tables, washing dishes, cleaning up at night or whatever else was needed. The whole time working there we'd known "things" happened; quite often we'd been there to experience them. There was a Harpsichord in the upstairs dining room that would play on its own, a dumbwaiter that would run during electrical 'blackouts', chairs would be re-arranged when you had your back turned and that is what my story is about.

Sheila and I were cleaning the downstairs dining room and bar after closing one night while my mom was upstairs doing the books in her office. We had refilled the salt and pepper shakers, removed the candles and placed them on the bar, wiped down the bar and all the tables. Last thing you always did was put the barstools up on the bar and chairs up on the tables so the cleaning crew that comes in the morning could do the floors.

As soon as we got the last chair up and put our rags in the laundry bin we headed upstairs to let mom know we were ready to go home. Now, at the bottom of the stairs is the bar, and from the bottom steps you can see directly into the downstairs dining room. As we ascended the stairs we were over halfway to the top when we saw mom coming down so we turned back around and headed back down too. As we hit the lower landing and turned left to face the bar and restaurant we both froze in our tracks, mouths agape and not breathing for just a few seconds as we looked out on the scene.

In the time it had taken us to climb maybe 14 or 15 steps and turn around to come back down those same steps, and mind you, we were the only people in the building at this time, we were now staring at, what we thought had to be impossible. Every chair and barstool was set back on the floor and the candles were back on the tables. Sheila and I at the same time just stared and said "Mom what's going on? Well, my mom got that, roll your eyes, tired of putting up with this crap, look on her face and started scolding "George" as if he were standing right there in front of us! "I can't put up with your nonsense tonight George! You need to choose your battles better Mister!" And so we start putting the candles back and replacing all the chairs and stools. "George I've already talked to you about this, and if you want to continue hanging around you need to learn not to pull this on a night when we're this tired!" then "Don't push me George, I'm serious!" After we were done we locked up and went home.

On the way out my mom stopped by the dishwashers place to let him know what happened and if there was a mess in the morning to give her a call and she would make sure this nonsense was stopped for good. Well, there was no mess in the morning because apparently 'George' knew mom was serious. To this day I could swear that 'George' had a crush on my mom, I don't know why I know that, I just do.

I wanted to get this out on the story boards before any of the story about "George" shows up on TV. My best friend works at the "Captains Anchorage" for about 4 years now and just told me that A&E had been there filming and done some show there so I figured I better beat them to the punch on this one. Hope you liked it. I've got more.

Other hauntings by Javelina

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Javelina, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

AppleSauce27 (guest)
 
10 years ago (2013-11-11)
Great story! I'm headed to read your other ones as well, and can only hope they are as well written as this one.
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-08)
Petersspirit,
It was nice to see your name come up again. I'm so glad you enjoyed this. And that you have had something similar happen to you too. It is amazing! I have never known anything like it since. That is very interesting about the coffee filter. I don't know how they can do what they do, but it sure can be startling if you aren't ready for it. If something like that were to happen around me now, I really don't know how I would react. Back then my mom took care of that stuff, we were just witnesses. It's funny now, when I think about it. My mom never did flinch, she was so steady at times like that it just didn't come to mind to even ask how or why, we simply accepted it.

Thank for reading and commenting,
Jav 😊
Petersspirit (4 stories) (144 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-05)
Hi Javelina,

I know exactly how you guys must have felt when you came down those stairs and saw how everything was changed back again! My grandmother pulled this prank with me some months ago. One of her last requests was that I would continue the ritual we had of drinking coffee and eating cookies together around four in the noon after she had gone. I still to this day am making my promise true. But at one of these afterlife tea times she re aranged the filter on top of the coffee mug standing on the livingroom table while I was in the kitchen for the water. Is it not amazing and totaly to wonder about how they can do this moving around without making a single noice?

I got a kick out of reading your sharing and am jumping where i'm sitting to go and enjoy the second posting of these events!

Greetings,
Peter 😁
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-06-02)
[at] kdhdfear,
I see you are very exited about what happened. And am eager to hear about your experience. The submission page is usually up again on Monday or Tuesday morning.
I am glad you found this web site. There is none better, as you shall see.
Welcome to YGS! 😁

Jav 😊
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-05-16)
Crisos,
I can't agree more. As soon as I smell those pine trees I know I'm home again. The desert will always be my home now, but those mountains are just too good to pass up.
Thanks again,
Jav ❀
Cristos0907 (13 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-05-16)
Jav,
Im definitely adding it to my bucket list. I love So.Cal. Takes my breath away every time I go. Living in the desert makes me appreciate greenery so much more. πŸ˜† Stay safe!

Besos,
Cristos
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-05-16)
Cristos,
Thank you! Aren't those mountains wonderful? I really do miss them after being in the desert for so long now, and visiting them is always such a treat. Next time you go you will remember the Anchorage. The food is fabulous. Steak and seafood, it's top notch.

Jav 😊
Cristos0907 (13 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-05-16)
Hi Javelina I love this story. My husband, three boys and myself were just in San Bernardino Mtns. Last month. I really wish I would have remembered about your story so we could have gone and visited George 😭 Oh well. Have a fun and safe trip this summer 😊 it would be great if George responded to you bring there.

Besos,
Cristos0907
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-05-16)
Rocker,
Thanks for asking, but no. He's still there, just not as active as he was back in the old days when I was a kid. I am planning a trip there this summer, so we'll see what becomes of that when I get there. Thanks for reading.

Jav 😊
Rocker0897 (1 stories) (12 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-11)
Lol that's a really really awesome story did your mom ever "Get rid of" George. 😁
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-04-01)
Do not fear the C l o w ns~~

C l o w ns that taste like chicken
C l o w ns that hiss and bite
C lo w ns aren't creepy creatures
They make me want to fight!

So come on all you Chicken C l o w ns!
You want a fight? Come get me!
I'll wipe that grin clean off your face!
You'll be sorry that you met me!

That purple pants don't scare me none!
The big red nose needs hitting
I'll shove those shoes where there's no sun!
Your teeth you will be spitting!

Jav the Clown Killer strikes again!
πŸ˜† πŸ˜† πŸ˜†
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+1
12 years ago (2012-04-01)
I want to see some demons in purple pants! πŸ˜†...Demons demons everywhere!
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-04-01)
Good Morning all you little ghosts! What are the paranormal gods up to thid lovely day?

Jav πŸ˜†
misstee (guest)
 
12 years ago (2012-03-05)
They should interview you and your mother for their show. Do you know the name of it? I'm looking forward to seeing it now! That's crazy George took all the chairs down so fast, I would've told him to put them back up the same way he took them down! Lol, good story!
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-03-05)
[at] epic fail,
It's funny how I never said a word to or about you, yet you jumped in with both feet on me. I have just as much right to my opinion as anyone else here. Yet, even when others in the same thread feel the same as I do about something, somehow, their opinion gets overlooked. I realize that my way of expressing my opinion may not be your cup of tea, but that is just the way I am. I don't look at every experience trying to find a way to hurt the author either. You have been here long enough to recognize that fact. So your jumping on the bandwagon without knowing all the facts, is surprising to me. If all you have ever paid attention to were the comments I've made against a poster, then there is nothing I can say here but thanks for showing how well you pay attention. Selective bias from your corner is not what I expected at all. You got me!

Jav
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-02-03)
Fergie,
If I had my way, all of our experiences would be this fun! George is still around, just not as active as he was back then. My best friend works there now, but she really hasn't had much happen at all. Someday I'd like to go back and visit. Just to see if he might come around again. That would be fun!

Jav 😊
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-02-02)
Hi Jav, Thanks for sharing. Your accounts are so much more fun than mine! I wish I could have an experience like this. I want to have FUN too! (pouting)
Do you know if George is still around? Still giving people a hard time? πŸ€”
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-04)
Vanessanda,
Thanks, I'm glad you liked it. I probably should keep track of some of it, but it never occurs to me at the time. It's just me having fun, that's all. I have, however, held onto some of the things I couldn't post up on ANY public site. At least, not without having my name removed from it first! πŸ˜† πŸ˜†

Jav 😊
Vanessanda (3 stories) (226 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-01-04)
Jav,

Your advertisement was priceless! I can't believe such humour done with such respect. It's so Rook. Seriously, you shouldn't lose these things. Keep a journal 😐
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-02)
Vanessanda,
There are others here and there, I just can't remember where they were put. There are sure to be more though. As long as we have trolls, there will be the little poems. I wrote a phony advertisement for Rook once, he might still have that. It was never posted up here (and won't be in the future), but he can show it to you by email maybe. I liked that one too.
Glad you liked this one, and like I said before, when it's a slow night and there's nothing better to pass the time...
Stuff happens. πŸ˜† πŸ˜†

Jav 😊
Vanessanda (3 stories) (226 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-01-02)
Javelina

Hahahaha! I found the poem! I don't know who voted it down, probably the troll himself, but I got rid of it.

I probably wouldn't have understood what you were talking about a month ago. It had me peeing as I was reading. Good to have a laugh, it's been a while. It should go on a page of its own so people can see it. Any more like that? πŸ˜†
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-12-10)
Nightwatcher,
Thanks again. That was a pretty cool place to work, always had something going on back then. And I do know which story you're talking about, I like that one too.

Jav 😊
nightwatcher262 (10 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2011-12-09)
this is really interest and more then a bit amusing, hahaha, this reminds me of another story I haave seen, about a ghost in one of the toyrRus stores somewhere, but anyways thanks for sharing

Guardian
taz890 (12 stories) (1380 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-09-02)
thats right steph stuff what the internet says!
Sorry to hear about the arthritis hope you have some good exersises to help with that and that it does not get as bad as you fear it might
stephyw2001 (guest)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-02)
Ha! We won't have to wait that long. I'm turning 28 this Sept 20th.:-p In 3 years I'll still feel young. Internet can't tell me what to do! I'm young darnit! πŸ˜†
I have to admit though, I do have arthritis already and it does hurt a lot, and that sucks. It does make me worry about getting old. Both sides of grand parents suffered badly from it, and my mom's mom had really warped hands from it. She couldn't even hold anything by the time she died. 😭 I really hope my body doesn't get that bad, but since I'm showing it so much already, I'm not getting a good feeling about it... 😒
taz890 (12 stories) (1380 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-02)
ahh now then steph let's come back to this one in 4 years and see if you feel middle aged at 31! Lol
Anyway I have decided to un~age each year and hope to be a teenager again in about 14 years so all good lmao
stephyw2001 (guest)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-02)
Well, I'm thinking "middle aged adult" starts at 30. I'm not sure if that was a serious question or not. 😳 I know I'm 27 and considered young (horray!) πŸ˜† Then again, I'll take after my grandmother and even when I'm in my 70's insist that I'm still young.
taz890 (12 stories) (1380 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-02)
wohhh back up there no gray anything going on here!
Slightly off white and tiny but never gray!

And I think middle aged is a fictious age to deal with we should go from young person to grumpy old git with out the middle bit at all!
Suites me fine how bout you lot?
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-09-02)
I want to know where 'young adult' stops and 'middle aged adult' begind. Where's that thin grey line, huh?

Jav

I just realized what I said...yikes!
taz890 (12 stories) (1380 posts)
+3
13 years ago (2011-09-02)
who decided what middle aged is?
Why does mine not say might be 37 years old but mentally around 23 and sarcastic and some times 5 and ruddy stupid?
(cowpie, hunting tiny birds won't go on!)
Oh and we all love the "im 16" but really a kid with no parental lock on computer who talks crap all the time then goes on a temper tantrum when found out or questioned group who have been on here~ oh look school back in and no more stupid trolling go figure

Read previous comments

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: