You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Haunted Morgue

Real Ghost Stories

Haunted Morgue

 

I got this great job working at hospital. I really get to do something I enjoy. Taking care of others has always been a passion. I work on one of the hardest floors, the cancer floor. We always have the same patients, and not a whole lot of them make it. This makes my job hard in a lot of ways. Anyways I have seen my share of death since I started here. I work night shift.

Well at night it can be a little creepy when you have to go to the morgue. One night myself and a co-worker were taking someone down to the morgue. Now let me explain. Our morgue is a little freezer box that is in the basement and smells horrible. Plus it has a ramp to get into it. So she and I wheel the body down there and we push it up the ramp and then we argue over who is going to push the body in. Of course I lose so I swing the freezer door open push in the body and slam the door shut. We start to fill out our paper work when we both look up at each other. She says to me "did you here that"? I said "i think so!" we both turn and look at the door. We both got cold chills and the hair on our arms were standing straight up. It sounded like someone was crying out help... We froze turned looked at each other and ran out.

Half way down the hall she asked if I really heard what she did? "Yea I did" I tell her. So I was telling one of my friend's who is a nurse on our floor also the story. She tells me that she has had similar things happen to her in the morgue also... To this day I will not go alone, and try and get out of going at all...

We also have a tradition on our floor. That when someone passes away we open the window so the soul of that person is not trapped in the hospital to roam. I not making this up it truly happened. If you don't believe me I don't care... I know and so does everyone else who works there

Other hauntings by always-up

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Illinois

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, always-up, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

always-up (3 stories) (3 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-01-21)
thank you all for you comments. I knew the person was dead they had been in the room on the floor for hours almost 12 because of family and the body had started to turn colors and slotch. I'm most serten they were gone, and I know I should have not let the creeps get to me but for some reason that night I had. But thank you for telling me what you think 😐 😲 🤔
Trix (14 stories) (407 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-01-08)
Hi always-up, while reading your story it brought up many memories about my nursing history. I must say the morgues I visited taking the deceased to was not smelly at all, and it shouldn't be because the bodies is not rotten. (Sorry for that with all respect). A morgue shouldn't smell horrible because those bodies are held in incubation under very low temperatures that is freezing. Luckily in our country a male porter assist the nurses and he opens the freezer door and do his job, we just go along to assist him.
Remember always that a pleading for help might be somebody that is really in need of help. Always make sure. Assumption is the mother of all bugger ups. We had a case when I was in training when a corpse recovered from a coma and that person was alive after declared dead-It does happen, it's very rare but it can happen. Maybe what you heard was a soul trapped in there, maybe died in the morgue, how would you know? Why I think that is because of the smell because like I said morgues is not supposed to smell horrible in such a way that you want to close your nose with something if you know what I mean.
The thing of leaving open a window- yes it's true. It is an old tradition to keep the window open so that the Angel of death can come and collect the soul. The nurses only did this when the signs were there within the human body and skin. The skin usually turns like blue pimples all over starting with the limps and the body turns cold and all the vital data goes down. Medical staff used to call these blue pimples the tracks of the angel of death. Thanks for sharing. Trix.
blue_raven80 (13 stories) (338 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-01-06)
"We also have a tradition on our floor. That when someone passes away we open the window so the soul of that person is not trapped in the hospital to roam." - I would like to comment on this one. This sounds good. It's like setting the soul free and go to the light.
Elephante81 (2 stories) (59 posts)
+3
13 years ago (2011-01-06)
So glad others posted this. I thought the same thing while reading. Although this does sound VERY creepy, "the creeps" have to be taken out of the situation when you work in a hospital. Especially if there is chance someone may still be alive. I'm actually surprised the nurse you told didn't go check...

Was there definite certainty that us readers don't know about?
Thanks for sharing!
roseinbloom (4 stories) (117 posts)
+3
13 years ago (2011-01-05)
Dear always-up, I too agree with the above posters, in that, you or someone else should have made sure the person was really dead. I have read of several stories, where some people have been declared dead, only to find out that they later were alive. I hope if there is a next time, you or your fellow associates, will make sure, by checking it out. Try to put yourself in that same position, and you can see what a horrible experience it would be for the person if indeed they were alive. 😢
snowhite (203 posts)
+3
13 years ago (2011-01-05)
From what I know in China, especially in the countryside, after a peson is dead, his or her family will keep the body in the yard for a few days before it is buried. There were several people woke up from "death", so out of being human, if you are too scared, you should at least ask other people to check out and see if the person is really dead. You can't just run away because you are scared. 😭
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+5
13 years ago (2011-01-05)
Always-Up - Okay, I'm not being mean here, but I have to ask you. If you heard someone calling for help, why didn't you see if someone was really calling for help? Or go get someone else to check it out?

I realize it was a morgue. But...wouldn't it have been better to have checked and made sure that there wasn't a living person who needed help rather than assuming it was a ghost?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: