You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: General Jackson's Midwestern Excursion

Real Ghost Stories

General Jackson's Midwestern Excursion

 

This experience of mine had taken place two days after Christmas. For the time being, I am trying to give my clairvoyant abilities a rest for reasons which I will explain in a later story. Anyway, it was two days after Christmas and I had been playing around with an app on my iPod Touch called Ghost Radar. I wasn't taking it too seriously as I hadn't gotten any significant results all day. I was in my room, not paying much attention to my iPod when suddenly a stream of words were said, one right after the other:

"Talk...war...rest...stay."

I looked at my iPod and saw that the radar had picked up on a red spirit (meaning a strong presence) standing right next to my bed, near my feet. That part of the room started to get inexplicably cold.

"Tom...man...in...rush...war."

The repetition of "war" was exciting for a geek like me (especially since I'm working on a major in Civil War history). However, I shouldn't have been so surprised. I live in an area that played a big (but little known) role in the American Civil War. A lot of people died here, so any contact I'd hope to make would probably be intercepted by a Civil War ghost.

"Can I ask you a question?" I said out loud. I got the uneasy feeling that the air was listening. All was quiet for a few moments before the Ghost Radar responded with "certainly."

"Are you a General? Are you the General Thomas 'Stonewall' Jackson, Commander of the second corp of the Virginian Army?" The vibe in my room changed from being quietly sentient to slightly humoured. Apparently this entity found my question amusing. "Maybe." It said. I laughed. "Well then sir, is there anything you'd like to tell me, anything I need to know?"

"Stay...rest...communicate...write...letter...Lee."

With this answer, I was floored. At that point, I was totally convinced, not only with this product's authenticity, but by the spirit who I was communicating with. Not only do I live in an area known for Civil War battles, but I live on a farm that's been passed down through the family. Most Generals would occupy farmhouses after a battle to regroup, set up camp, get supplies, take care of the wounded, and figure out what was the next course of action. Tom's final response indicated just that: he wanted to stay a while, rest up, then write a letter to Lee (as in Robert E. Lee) to regroup.

Sadly, after this amazing conversation, Tom disappeared and the radar went quiet. I didn't get any more responses for an hour, and then I turned my iPod off. I may try to contact Thomas again in the near future to hopefully find out just what he's doing in Nebraska.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Nebraska

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, The-Red-Daisy, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

The-Red-Daisy (guest)
+2
13 years ago (2011-01-10)
[at] moravian
I know he was, but more than likely he's still on earth. Think about it: he led a lot of men into battle, something that might linger on his consience and he was wounded on a battlefield with unfinished business. Residents of Lexington (his hometown) report seeing him as well as his wife in the cemetery where they both are buried. I have once seen a picture of a ghostly figure standing directly behind the statue above his headstone as well as a white mist in the shape of a man on a horse who appears to be charging into battle. There are also stories of Virginia Military Institute being haunted by Jackson and Lee, both former teachers.
Shinigami0 (2 stories) (203 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-01-10)
Hi, Red-Daisy! First, just let me say, I loved the title of your story. It had a ring to it that instantly caught my attention, and led me to an equally interesting experience.

I had always wondered about the Ghost Radar app. Its amazing that from what you've posted, as well as what some others have, that it actually works.

I bet it must have been amazing to talk to Stonewall Jackson, or for that matter, any historical figure. Its too bad the entity went away, though. Would have been interesting to continue the conversation.

Thanks for sharing.

Au Revior. 😊 ❤
moravian (1 stories) (171 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-01-10)
General stonewall jackson was about the most devote born-again christian of his era. I seriously doubt that he is lingering around haunting places. It's not who he was or what he would do. I think that if anything you were being lied to
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+1
13 years ago (2011-01-09)
Red-daisy: It's possible!...As how the heck do we know for sure what his movements were?...He was a General, and I'm sure his treks weren't all made available to the public...I'd be interested in hearing about your other experiences with this app... May want to get a new phone! 😆 ❤
The-Red-Daisy (guest)
+1
13 years ago (2011-01-09)
[at] Granny

I understand where you're coming from and I know that it very well could've been a prank played from the Other Side. Thomas was a popular name in the 1800s, so it very well could've been a soldier from back then. However, the mention of writing a letter to Lee seems a bit too specific for a Midwestern man out of the loop of the Eastern Theater. There's also the Pony Express that was in operation for two years during the Civil War, but I don't think any letters went back and forth from Lee to a Western correspondent.
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+1
13 years ago (2011-01-09)
Red-daisy: You're right, the Nebraska Territory did have some problems at that time... Most stemming from the American-Indian war... During the Civil War, the people of the Nebraska Territory were torn between the "North" and "South", as the Kansas-Nebraska Act of 1854 allowed the residents of those territories to vote for or against slavery... I believe that Act was the catalyst toward The Civil War... So I don't doubt the role Nebraska played... Nor do I doubt the amount of death and bloodshed during that time...

Could your entity have been a soldier of that era also with the name of "Thomas"?...Maybe your question as to their identity really did amuse them, and they were like: "okay, yeah, right!"...I'm not casting doubt on your experience, just not sure this guy was on the up&up with you... 😊 ❤
The-Red-Daisy (guest)
+1
13 years ago (2011-01-08)
[at] zzsgranny

I live near Fort McPherson (AKA Cantonment McKean or Fort/Post Cottonwood). It was built in 1862, primarily to protect the people going out West during the Homestead Act. It was named after James B. McPherson (the highest ranking General ever killed during the War Between the States), who is buried in a cemetery 30 miles North of my town. A few Nebraskan troops were stationed at Ft. McPherson before being sent to Missouri to fight. During the time of the Civil War, Nebraska had its own separate problems. The majority of the state was unsettled. It was all unexplored frontier. The Sioux, Cheyenne, and Arapaho tribes weren't happy about the Homestead Act and all the settlers taking their land, so they killed any white person on sight. Many troops stationed at Ft. McPherson who were supposed to be sent South ended up being used to fight against the Native Americans in battles like Sand Creek, Plum Creek, Trenton, Platte River Station, Fetterman, Little Bighorn, Wounded Knee, and Sioux Lookout.

So yes, Nebraska did play a part during the Civil War, not only in bringing it about, but during and after it, which helped make it what it is today. ❤
Memoge (1 stories) (10 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-01-07)
I totally believe you with the app and that you are not making it up cause I have the app as well! 😁 😁
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+1
13 years ago (2011-01-07)
red-daisy: I can't seem to find any evidence of Civil War battles or skirmishes that have taken place in Nebraska... Or that Stonewall had ever even been there... If you indeed picked up on an entity, I think they may have been toying with you...I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin'... ❤
The-Red-Daisy (guest)
 
13 years ago (2011-01-07)
[at] Moongrim

It actually works. I've contacted my paternal grandfather, my deceased friend, and my spirit guide (whom I've known for a while) with this.
Moongrim (2 stories) (871 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-01-07)
A "quantum flux" detector, in an iPod?

Give me a freaking break.

A more expensive form of dowsing rods, obviously.
Lisa66 (1 stories) (54 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-01-07)
Awesome experience! As cosomogal said, I'm sure you were thrilled to be interacting with a Civil War General. How cool! Great account!
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-01-07)
Hello red-daisy, Wow that was a really cool experience. 😁 I can imagine how excited you must have been to actually be communicating with a General from the Civil War escpecially a famous one like Jackson. I totally want an ipod touch now so I can have that app. LOL! Thanks for posting. 😊 ❤

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: