You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Waking Up To The Lock

Real Ghost Stories

Waking Up To The Lock

 

I live up here in Juneau, Alaska, and have had a number of unexplained events happen to me or close to me. But the only one that has ever scared me happened yesterday morning, at 8:15am Alaska Standard Time.

I woke up at exactly 8:15 that morning. I know because I was really tired, from falling asleep at 6:30, and looked at my phone. Well, I woke up to a noise coming from my bedroom door. It sounded like the sound of someone sliding a key into the lock. But this person/ghost/spirit did not slide it in the keyhole like a normal person would. At first, when I heard it, I thought it might be my friend Chris, who I was hanging out with the night before. It occurred to me that he might have my keys because I forgot them at his house. But I was so tired, that it did not occur to me right away that I needed my keys to get in the house. And then I thought it might be somebody trying to break in to steal something out of my room ((I live with four other people, in a duplex (two on each side), and I was supposed to spend the night somewhere else. My car wasn't in the driveway, so I felt like it might be somebody who wanted to steal something out of my room). When the sound of the keyhole stopped I saw the lock in a vertical position turn horizontal. This scared the crap out of me because what happened next was the door opening. It opened about three to four inches and a figure stood in the door. It just stood there and stared at me. I said, "Chris? Zach? Hello? Can I help you?" At this time I didn't know if it was any of them, or anybody I knew because all I could do was make out a shape in the doorway.

We have a fish tank that sort of lights up the hallway. And all I could make out was a dark object. He/she/it did not make any sounds and did not come into my room, but instead stared at me for about five seconds and closed my door as quiet as it had opened it. I sat there for about another five seconds and tried to figure out what to do. I had no idea who, or what, was at my door, and I was not about to run out into the hallway to possibly be shot or hit by an intruder. I decided to open the door very slowly. When I did there was nobody there, so I shut the door, locked it, put my wheelchair (broken leg) in front of it, locked the wheels, and sat in it. I texted my roommates, to see if they were messing with me, and everybody was sleeping.

The house got checked for intruders, but there was nobody in it. I asked my roommate, who installed the lock on my door, if he had come into my room for something, and he said no, and that I had the only key to the room. Since then, I have installed a bolt lock on my door, and taken the old door handle off. My roommates think that I am crazy, or that I was sleeping when this took place, and that I didn't actually see anything. But I know what I saw was real. I know it for a fact, mainly because my door was locked when I fell asleep and it was unlocked when I went to open it. And I know I do not sleepwalk, which in this case is for sure because of my broken leg. And later the same day, I found out there was an exorcism in this house. Anyway, is there anybody out there with some advice?

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, tlbay, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

SerSpuddTheDemonKnight (1 stories) (8 posts)
-1
11 years ago (2013-04-24)
Juneau alaska? The fourth kind, right? Bud I would seriously consider aliens in this case I kno alaska is pretty famous for that
Walter_R (1 stories) (81 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-04-15)
Don't worry rachie, I've already lost 3 karma points. Due to the facted I like crosses around the house. I don't have any karma plus points and I don't care to much to ever have one. I'd sooner have crosses around the house.

Hey I don't have any demon's around my house!

Take care,

Walter 😁
rachie (1 stories) (65 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-01-16)
I was not offended in anyway. On the contrary I was being playful. But I guess people can't read a tone of voice. Considering that I have had a similar experience I offer only sympathy. It can be very unsettling and confusing. I did not mean to give off such a self involved comment or any harm by it. I am only an observer on one side of the screen. Thank you for sharing your experience and again my apologies for any interpretation of disrespect. I can't believe I lost a "karma point" before I was able to earn one. Live and learn. 😠
LouSlips (10 stories) (979 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-01-10)
tlbay,
There seems to be a bit of inconsistency here. You say your roomamate installed the lock. So I presume it is OK to assume the lock set was relatively new? As DC pointed out, all new locks come with multiple keys...always.
You mentioned in one of your latest replies that your keys were by your bed on a chair... Then whose key was in the lock?...I don't know of any locks these days that require you to use a key from the inside... It is always a knob or a switch type mechanism. So I again will presume that this was some kind of old lock with a keyhole... Because no lock I know of has multiple key portals that activate the same lock mechanism... Have you ever tried to put a key into a lock that already has a key in it on the other side?...I guess not... Because it would not have been possible to do so... And if it was accomplished, the key from the outside would have forced the inside key out of the lock and it would have fallen to the floor... Nice story.

Lou
DCinAZ (guest)
+4
13 years ago (2011-01-10)
The reason for all the skeptisism is the whole issue of the lock and keys. Try asking yourself some of these questions:
1) Did you purchase the lock yourself that your roommate installed when you first moved in?
2) ALL locksets, and doorhandles with locks in them, are sold with two keys, ALWAYS. There is no exception to that rule. So why didn't you have the second key?
3) You stated that you asked your roommate, who installed the lock, if he had come in there for something and he said no and that you had the only key. You were fine with that?
4) You changed your lock to a bolt lock and removed the old doorhandle, and now your roommates think your crazy. Why? I would have done the same, and so would most people when something like that occured, so why does it seem so odd to either one of them?
5) Where/when did you hear about this exorcism? Who told you this? Why did they have an exorcism before? And, to the previous question, if things were so bad that they needed an exorcism before, why would a little ghosty at your door be so unbelievable? It doesn't seem a little "strange" to you that they had never mentioned an exorcism before? That's a pretty big deal, by the way. Do you have any idea what it takes just to get an exorcist to deem it necessary?

Here's the deal hon, if you are honest with yourself when answering these, then you will see why the majority of posters are not falling for the "ghost opened my door with a key" claim. No one's calling you a liar at all, you seem to be a very nice and trusting person. Maybe TOO trusting is all we're saying. It is all just as well that you already changed the lock. You did it yourself this time, right? And you have both keys, right?
One last peice of advice, and this is just as important to everyone else, If you ever lend someone the use of your vehicle, make sure you only hand over the key to the vehicle, and no house or room keys are included. Anyone can have a copy made. 😐 😐 😐
tlbay (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-01-10)
I am not disregarding anybody on here. I am grateful for anybody who has decided to help me with this. I am sorry if you feel that way Rachie. My keys were left on the chair beside my bed. They were there when I woke up.
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+2
13 years ago (2011-01-09)
Zishu: Really?...Honestly how many "demons" do absolutely know of who need a key to enter ANYWHERE? 😐...

Tbay: If I were trying to get into someone's room, specially since you mentioned that you weren't supposed to be there, I certainly wouldn't tell you when asked, "Yeah, it was me. Just wanted to see what you have in there."...Come on, think...You're in Alaska... You don't get a lot of daylight at this time of the year... Upon awakening, anybody would look like a "shape in the doorway"...

One question: where did you leave your keys before you went to bed?... ❤
ZiShu (281 posts)
-3
13 years ago (2011-01-09)
Hit me up on email... I believe there was something evil there. I do not like to see you or anyone suffer, so I'd like to try to help.
rachie (1 stories) (65 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-01-08)
why was my comment disregarded? I am not doubting your experience in anyway. 😊
tlbay (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-01-08)
I am fairly certain that my roommates were not trying to break into my room. And seeing that I had the only key the lock makes it that much more eerie.
rachie (1 stories) (65 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-01-08)
I have similar experiences. I have moments where I am dreaming I am watching someone come slowly through my bedroom door and I snap awake out of fear starring at the door. It takes me a few seconds to realize I am still half sleeping and relax. Now that you have the new lock, you have nothing to worry about anyways! 😉
ghostgirlsmileyface (5 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-01-08)
Wow I feel sorry for you but possibly ask room mate to install a camera in the hall and you could see who it is...
JamesRobiscoe (419 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-01-07)
Tlbay--You mention no break state from sleep to waking which seems to rule out sleep paralysis. The 90 degree turn of the keyhole is odd, though maybe an optical illusion if it were a skelton key that was used (still, though, odd).
It might be a past tenant, but one who would know which is your car and room (unless it was pure coincidence and not a factor). And that, wide awake, you heard no one retreat down the hall and out of the house.
You've taken precautions in case it was a live person, so it's evident that even days later you remained convinced of some type of real event.
The exorcism particulars, if they're available, might help you learn something. It's all very dicey to conclude one way or another what the phenomenon in fact was. Keep us apprised if there are further developments that might help those better qualified than I am to direct your investigations. Good luck. ~ James
Moongrim (2 stories) (871 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-01-07)
Not too many ghosties or other 'supernatural' critters have need of a key to unlock a door. Vulcan10 has my endorsement.
vulcan10 (5 stories) (332 posts)
+3
13 years ago (2011-01-07)
Sounds like it was someone who had an extra key gotten or made from a prior resident there. There are also many people capable of picking locks or making master keys of certain types of locks. It really sounds like it was a real person, which is all the more scary. Peeps are getting raped,killed,and eaten (and not in the good way), all the time nationwide. It's like the world has gone mad. You need to keep your eyes and ears open and be aware of your surroundings at all times. This might have peaked their interest in you.
suni (1 stories) (12 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-01-07)
I'm sure if one of your roommates was sneaking into your room and just isn't admitting it.
BlanknameSpace (1 stories) (24 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-01-07)
Well... If there was an exorcism performed in that house it probably has quite a bit of residual spiritual energy which could be drawing in the spirits even if its holy energy (good can attract evil, and likewise.)

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: