You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Kilroy Creature

Real Ghost Stories

The Kilroy Creature

 

When I was in grade school, I would sometimes have trouble falling asleep. On these occasions I would usually just lie there in bed, waiting to feel sleepy. My bedroom had a night light in it, so the room and everything in it were plainly visible.

One night I was lying there, sometimes with my eyes closed, sometimes with my eyes open. I noticed after a while that when I opened my eyes, it looked like something moved in a part of my room. I thought it was just due to my eyelashes or my eyes adjusting to the night light. Several minutes later I had changed position slightly, but now I noticed that the apparent motion was in the same part of the room, and was no longer at the edge of my vision. It looked like something was ducking behind the bean bag chair in my room. I began to experiment with this by closing my eyes for a few seconds and then opening them to look directly at the bean bag chair, and I continued to see a brief flash as if something had quickly ducked down.

After testing this a few times, I had the idea of opening my eyes just a crack and peeking at the bean bag chair. What I saw looked exactly like those images of "Kilroy was here", except this was not just peeking over the bean bag chair but fully visible down to the shoulders. You could also say it looked like the "Alice the Goon" character from Popeye cartoons. It was about three feet tall, pale, and while not glowing, it appeared somewhat luminescent. It was looking right at me with wide cartoonish eyes. I closed my eyes fully again and prayed until I fell asleep.

I never saw a creature like this again, and nothing else happened in my bedroom. By now I knew better than to tell my family about what I saw. Years later I have told the story to see if anyone had a similar experience. One person told me a story about the Kilroy lifting above the wall and revealing a mouth full of pointed teeth, but it was not experienced by the person telling me and I do not remember the circumstances of that story.

Other hauntings by 113

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Ohio

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, 113, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

whitebuffalo (guest)
 
13 years ago (2011-01-16)
Cocoware123? Please excuse this interruption, 113.
Sounds like you have something that wants to play. "Gotcha" is sometimes just the same as "TAG! You are it!".
Thanks.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
13 years ago (2011-01-16)
Oh my. The last time I heard a good Kilroy story it had been sparked by the "sighting" of him on a boxcar that drove by as I waited at the crossing. Marvelous. Thank you for sharing this.
Kim? It is said that Kilroy may have been a means for the American soldiers to "send word" back home during WWII, and "mark their existence" wherever they camped overseas. There IS much debate on the actual origins OF him, or any of his "ancestors". It is a hairless, round, "mischievous" character.
...Hmmm.
You have really given me something to think about, thank you. I can not help but wonder if this is proof of the "character of the character" meaning more than the vision itself.
Are you familiar with that thought process?
Thank you.
Cocoware123 (1 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-01-16)
The other night something like this happened to me because right now I'm having sleeping problems as well. My parents had gone out for the night and no one else was there and my pets were down stairs (this was before I got my dog) sleeping then I heard loud slamming foot steps running up the stairs (a sound no cat could make).

Then I looked at at my doorway and there was a small figure peeking it's head around the corner before jumping in and running back down the stairs and then engraved on the floor in glowing/White letters was "Gotcha" and that totally freaked me, Thanks for sharing 😨 😕
HazMan_III (4 stories) (91 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-01-12)
Hm. I've honestly never heard of something like that. I can't even suggest what the creature might've been. The fact that you say it was quite similar to Kilroy leads me to believe that it might all have been created by your imagination.

Many people I know have stories concerning elves or gnomes and the mischief they're known to wreak in homes. My mother told me that her parents often argued and that she would retreat to her closet and cry. After that she said that these elves or gnomes would appear to her and take her to their little home in the forest. Of course, she always returned safely.

If my mother weren't a medium, I'd have dismissed this as simply the imagination of a troubled child run amok. Some mediums can actually travel to the dream world and return. I believe that she was transported to another realm by these creatures. She's also traveled to the dreamworld recently, though she dreamed that she was digging. Strangely enough, she woke up with dirt under her nails.
113 (2 stories) (2 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-01-12)
[at] Foradren - that is exactly the impression I got. Looking back on my life I see symptoms of low-level panic disorder throughout childhood before I had full passing-out panic attacks as an adult. Sounds like I made good target for some fear inducement.

[at] Kimsouth Google either of these characters and you should get a very good idea. A one and only occurance, despite many nights trying to sleep as a nervous child.

[at] Shelby The reason this one stood out is because I could see only movement peripherally but looking straight on through eyelid slits I saw the full creature. I have seen many similar illusions as a result of low illumination and sleepiness, including repeatedly seeing pencils inches away from me on my nightstand writhing like a snake in the light of my LED alarm clock. This was the one and only different experience.

At one time I was concerned that it may have been an indication of abduction by gray aliens, but the lack of other experiences and the prominent nose tell me it was something else.
Shelby427 (6 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-01-12)
Hi 113. I have a hard time sleeping a lot of times and I will just lay there and look around my bedroom with just the light from the cable box. It's crazy, the tricks your mind/eyes can play on you. For example, how you can't see something if you look directly at it, but if you look just above, below, or to the side of the object, you can see it more clearly. However, there are weird things that appear sometimes that you can't explain. That's why I've learned to just keep my eyes shut. 😆

Thanks for sharing.

Shelby 😊
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-01-12)
I am not sure who either of these characters are that you describe. I have not seen either of them.

Is this the only time this occured?

God Bless!
Foradren (1 stories) (5 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-01-12)
Hi 113, your story sounds sort of similar to mine, 'the plastic face'. (http://www.yourghoststories.com/real-ghost-story.php?story=10919)
While the creature itself is different, the behaviour seems similar. People have commented on mine, saying that low-level spirits/demons/whatevers may do this sort of thing to try and scare kids for fun, or to try out their 'skills'. What was your impression from your creature? Were you scared?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: