You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Old Hags / Night Attacks / Sleep Paralysis :: Sleep Paralysis Or Something Else?

Real Ghost Stories

Sleep Paralysis Or Something Else?

 

Note: I'm new to this sight and for months I've been trying to figure out what happened to me this one night, and I'm hoping that some input from people on here will help.

My fiancé' and I used to live in an apartment in Vancouver, WA, while I was pregnant with our son, and a lot of weird things would happen there but by far the strangest and most terrifying was the night I woke up unable to move and screaming.

The night really did start off like any other night-we got into bed, talked some, he rubbed my belly and said good night to the baby (I was about 6 or 7 months along at this time), and then we drifted off to sleep. But things got scary a few (what I'm guessing) hours later.

I woke up screaming and feeling like I was being held down. I couldn't move at all save for my head. At first I thought I was dreaming, but this was no dream. I was in my room, sleeping next to my fiancé with my dog at my feet and the light from the neighbour's porch shining through our blinds, just like usual. My surroundings were very real and I was genuinely terrified. I remember screaming and screaming for Matt to wake up and to help me but he and the dog just stayed asleep. I tried to struggle, but the more I struggled and screamed the more scared I became. I felt a fear that I had never felt once before in my life, and the feelings of loneliness and hopelessness that consumed me were unlike any I'd ever felt. I didn't know what was going on, but after what I, again, am guessing, was a few minutes, the feeling lifted and I was able to move again. I remember lying there for a few minutes after, trying to collect myself, and eventually I did fall back asleep but since then I haven't forgotten that night, and I've been trying to unravel its mystery.

I swear I can remember seeing black shadow-like figures standing next to my bedside but the room WAS dark, so I'm not sure. This has never happened again but I would still very much like to know what happened that night.

Other hauntings by AndreaRC

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Washington

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, AndreaRC, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

AndreaRC (12 stories) (31 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-01-31)
BooBoo:
No,I know pregnancy paranoia and this was not it at all. 😕
boob00_99 (1 stories) (6 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-01-31)
this sounds mean. But I'm just wondering. Could it paranoria since you were pregnant at that time?
AndreaRC (12 stories) (31 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-01-20)
Thank you everyone I really appreciate you guys taking the time to give me your input. I've been reading the responses and thinking and as I believe that sleep paralysis is rooted in both science AND the supernatural,I'm not quite sure what to think of this just yet, but I'll keep things posted definitely.:)
KitsuneofIkana (7 posts)
-1
13 years ago (2011-01-17)
Sorry I made a mistake when I said I'm not saying that you place is haunted nor am I'm saying it is haunted I meant to nor am I saying it isn't haunted. Sorry for the mistake I don't know if you can edit your post after you published it
KitsuneofIkana (7 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-01-17)
I would have to say that it could be SP. Just like BadJuuJuu said if it was something like a entity then your dog would have been up and would have been very uneasy since certain animals are more sinsitive to things like ghost. But you did mention that you did felt uneasy sometimes could mean that it could have been a ghost and the ghost wasn't the one who caused the SP maybe you had the SP when the ghost wasn't around. I'm not saying your place is haunted nor am I saying it is haunted it would be nice if you have more stories to tell us so we could determined if it is or not. SP can be scary at times everyone has had it atleast once and if you ever have it again just stay calm and not freak out it will be over before you know it.
Drizzi (13 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-01-17)
Thats some crazy stuff. Don't they say that when women a pregnant their senses to the paranormal are heightened? Hopefully everything stops for you. If it doesn't don't intimidated by whatever it is, they feed on that. Don't worry you got this
mylittplay (1 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-01-17)
I get that a lot and it's scary as hell. The last time it happened, I heard like a witches laugh. We were away for the weekend to my boyfriend's uncle's farm. The only thing that helps me to calm down is to pray. That really helps me. So I really hope you don't get that experience again. Good luck with your baby that is on the way.
BadJuuJuu (guest)
 
13 years ago (2011-01-17)
Sorry, but "evangelist18," my name is spelled BadJuuJuu.
I believe that in most cases SP is not caused by paranormal influences, however I accept that there are people who just aren't happy unless they are yelling "DEMON!" at the top of their lungs.
AndreaRC, take whatever explanation you find that fits your particular situation and apply it. You mention that this was a one time event. As a parting thought, demons are stubborn buggers and don't give up after just one try.
richlo (1 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-01-16)
This happened to me one night with the lights on and my xwife laying next to me... Three times it attacked me one night and I saw the sheets go down and could not move, the very last time I heard a voice and it said my xwife name and ask to have the door opened... Freaked me out... Years later, my xbrother in law who was married to one of my wives sister lived there too and he told me that he hated living there because a spirit use to attack him, I didn't evne tell him my story, it was identical to his. Then the other brother in law who was married to the other sister was telling us both the story about what happened to him and we didn't even mentioned to him what happened to him... These discussions happened years apart... Then recently my niece told me that she was recently laying on the sofa, same house during the daytime and the exact same thing happened to her and she could hear it breathing in her ear... I have seen ghost for years as a kid. I feel presence of them. I have heard languages spoken that are definitely not human... Its been a while and I don't want to deal with that ever... But I do encounter them in my life time...
evangelist18 (1 posts)
-1
13 years ago (2011-01-16)
Hey andreaRc,
Most people like "badjuju" would argue that what you had gone through is sleep paralysis.
But I have gone through the exact same thing, mine was a bit more extreme though. If you inform someone whos very religious then they'd tell you the opposite of what most people have posted about your situation.
In most cases like this, it usually involves a negative spirit having control over you. (this may sound fake but the truth is this happens everyday overseas, most people choose not to accept it but it does in fact happen) In my case when I was 17, there was a demon/ entity whom took control over the house, myself and those who were close to me. I would wake up evrynight not able to move, tried screaming but wasn't heard by others and felt like something was on top of me. It took almost 2 months until people from our church knew what was going on with me was definitely serious. It took cleansing of the house 3 times over and a blessing from 3 pastors from the church to relieve me and the house. There WAS evidence of paranormal presence, on the day and at the time of the blessing the house shook like there was an earthquake, china pieces fell, anything that stood fell except for a picture of Jesus on the wall that was 3x5ft and the face clearly had been torn. And before it all ended, I received 3 long heavy scratches down the side of my back.
Andrea, I'm here to say that whatever you went through has not stopped, I would highly advise you to bless the house and yourself. There are also pastors and priests who are very willing to do it for free. I have much more to say but please just incase, receive a cleansing of your house.
feyan (17 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-01-15)
im terribly sorry for the encounter you had. Don't be afraid of anything, it happened to many peoples. Just talk to your husband about it, also ask him not to freak out. Ask him if he is sad or anything else cause if the house is not filled with total positivity, even with the slightest chance sth might enter. If you have the feeling that it will occur again have a professional brought in to cleanse the house. Talk to everyone in the house, ask if they are worried, sad, frustrated or have any sort of negativity in their mind (ask in politest way possible). And raveneyes81 please check if their is any strange tattoo mark or any kind of mark in your body that you never notice before. 😐
raveneyes81 (1 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-01-15)
hey.
Im seriously creeped out right now. Almost exactly the same thing happened to me. The only thing is my fingers and feet where like they where almost in spasm. I couldn't move at all. Felt like I was sinking into the bed... Like something was ontop of me. I couldn't breathe. I have never been that scared in my life. And I saw a face. Black with white eyes. It pulled the curtain away with its one arm stared at me with what looked like a slight grinn. And I heard voices whispering, but I couldn't make out a word they where saying. Like a crowded room of people whispering. I'm still freaked out by it and it happened 5 years ago. Also only once and never again. Thought I was going insane. But then I came across your letter. This is not right and not supposed to happen and I would also like to know what it is.

Greetings michelle
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-01-14)
I firmly believe the basis of sleep paralysis is rooted in the super natural. I think there must be some other occurances happening at the time for this sleep paralysis phenomenon to occur.

Have you had any thing happen since this night? Did you share this with your fiance? Has he had anything going on?

There is a lot of positive energy in the atmosphere at your home due to the fact that you are expecting. It is thought that energy can manifest spirits that may not have the energy to do it with out the positive atmosphere.

As of now (although I am aware just how terrifying) I would try not to focus on the sleep paralysis portion adn open your mind to see if there are any other occurances around you. Speak to Matt and discuss this together.

Keep us posted if any thing further haooens,

God Bless!
hagi (1 stories) (53 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-01-14)
Don't worry, it is just an entity coming around to give you a bad dream. It happens to me and others all the time. I also see the black figure. I talk a lot about what (I believe) they are in my first article.
applerose (13 stories) (139 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-01-14)
Andrea,

I have had a similar experience - which you can read in "Bits and Pieces". It is a scary feeling -as it was happening to me - I felt as if my heart would burst with fright. I tried to move - but could not - I remember that night as if it just happened - and this was a little over 2 years ago - I can still feel the weight of (whatever it was) on me. I did not know that there was a name for this experience (Sleep Paralysis) - I read the comment from BadJuuJuu and intend to look into more info on SP.
I wish I could give you advice and help you with this problem - but you have actually helped me - letting me know that I'm not crazy and this happens to others. Thank you for the story - It was a very good read.
4d (15 stories) (167 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-01-13)
AndreaRC,

I also agree that animals have a sensitivity to things we can't see, but I believe they also pay no mind to non-hostile entities as well. We have spirits around us at all times, but animals behave strangely to the ones that want something from their masters and not the ones just passing by.

I believe the so called "Sleep Paralysis" is your spiritual self taking a small look around while your physical self stays in a meditative mode. Because you try to move your physical body there is no response while in your spiritual state.

Aloha - 4d
username420 (1 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-01-13)
hi

This happened to me aswell.
Only one more thing happend, It feelt like some one/thing was pushing me down with all of it's power, it really hurt. Also I couldn't move at all, not even speak.

Was this just SP to?
shamby (15 stories) (100 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-01-13)
I have to agree with BadJuuJuu (we agree on a lot:)) The only reason I would think the paranormal is involved is if something else happened. If you have any other experiences while awake, or while trying to go to sleep then it could be something else. Also, I have read many stories on this site where pregnant women become more sensitive to the paranormal or SP. Just a thought.

Like BJJ said, animals are very in tune with the paranormal and he wouldn't have slept through it. Especially if he is protective over you/ your family. I had a wonderful lab (she died this thanksgiving) that pulled my little sister out from under a trampoline while my brother and I were jumping on it. We didn't see her but Riley did!

Anyway, if you begin to think something paranormal is going on, try to document it. But as of now, I think it's just classic SP. Nothing to worry about, but can be very frightening!
BadJuuJuu (guest)
+2
13 years ago (2011-01-13)
Sounds like an average sleep paralysis episode. Harmless, but incredibly frightening. There are different thoughts on the cause of SP, some people think it's paranormal, others think it's non-paranormal. I'm of the opinion that SP is not caused by paranormal influences. There is a link to an article on this site's home page that explains sleep paralysis theories. For what it's worth, animals are very in tune to the paranormal. If something was in your room that night, your dog wouldn't have slept peacefully through it.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: