You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: A Clockwork Haunting

Real Ghost Stories

A Clockwork Haunting

 

As a child living at my parent's house in Australia, my grandmother died in the hallway. The bedroom that she had been staying in at the time eventually became my bedroom when I reached my teens and needed more space. For years after moving in there I was constantly disturbed every night by footsteps and sounds of movement in the hallway and in my room. If I was lying on my back I would often feel fingers gently touching my face and it became so frequent that I would simply brush the fingers away and tell whatever it was to go away and let me sleep. I was always afraid of the sounds and fingers, but my way of dealing with it was to angrily yell at the entity and pretend that it didn't scare me at all. I had long given up telling my parents about all this as they just laughed it off.

I was in bed early one night, just starting to relax, when I became aware of a ticking sound at the far end of the room. I had nothing in the room that would make this sound. I got out of bed in the dark and indeed it seemed to be in the room with me. The moment I switched on the light the ticking stopped. Several weeks later I had only just got into bed, wide awake and restless. The ticking sound started again. It was louder this time and I could not ignore it. I got out of bed in the dark again but I didn't want the sound to stop so I kept away from the light switch. As I approached the sound I realised that it was more complex than just a ticking sound. I could hear little wheels and springs moving as if it was some kind of crazy wind-up toy. I located the sound in the back corner of the room, down low near the floor. I somehow found the courage to get down on all fours and crawl towards it. I reached a point at which it was right in front of me, much louder now and cloaked in total darkness. It was a strange sensation. I was terrified and frustrated at not being able to work out what it was.

My curiosity had overcome my fear and I reached into the dark corner expecting to feel something but didn't. I leaned forward and my head now seemed to be inside the invisible object. I could hear little wheels and gears moving around my ears. I panicked and jumped to my feet. I was worried that my sudden movement might make the sound disappear, but it continued ticking away. Wishing to catch it off guard I decided to make a sudden dash for the light switch. Of course everything stopped as soon as I could see into the corner.

I never heard it again, but the sounds of movement continued until I moved out of my parent's house years later. Looking back now it seems unreal, but I was wide awake at the time and I still think of it sometimes.

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Australia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, mephisto, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Moon (3 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-06-05)
If you can remember it, what kind of clock did it sound like? (newer/older)
Apologies for my question.
mephisto (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-01-23)
Thanks for your comments guys. My grandmother didn't have any clocks in that room as far as I know, but I definitely connect the sound to her.
The comment from Tabbie about the heart monitor is interesting as she had just undergone medical procedures at the time she was staying with us. I was very young so I'm not sure if there was medical equipment in the room. All I clearly remember seeing in there was her wheelchair.
The location in the corner of the room seems a likely spot for a monitor.
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+1
13 years ago (2011-01-23)
DC: Have I told you lately that you're a genius?...Although, there ARE such things as "grandmother" clocks, also...

Http://www.antiquegrandfatherclocks.com/grandmother.php

Mephisto: You were being visited by one or both of your grandparents, in my opinion... This is a pretty cool experience, thank you for posting! 😊 ❤
DCinAZ (guest)
+2
13 years ago (2011-01-23)
I have an idea that is a little out there. Well, you tell me...
Your grandmother's spirit is obvious by everything you've said so far. And I completely understand your frustration with the sounds and the touching, you don't want to be mean, you just need to sleep.
The point is, you KNEW it was her and it had gotten to the point of distraction so it was easy to blow it off. But the ticking was a whole new experience. It not only got you out of the bed, it had you on all fours, in the dark, investigating. And it would have to be of such a size to be able to fit your head inside the sound. I'm thinking a clock that size could only be a Grandfather Clock. Could it be that your geandfather stopped by to say "Hello"? ❤
Tabbie (3 stories) (11 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-01-22)
did your grandmother have a heart monitor of some kind? They make ticking sounds much like a clock. 😕
Kkall (3 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-01-20)
You should of let the ghost keep feeling your face she is probaly trying to get close to some kind of relative
dreamergal72 (6 stories) (793 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-01-20)
Does your granmother have Clock that cause the tick sound in her room before you moved in? Just wonder cause that what cause the sound that you hearing. Kind of like movie that play over and over repeat.
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-01-19)
This is a strange story, do you think this ticking sound is connected to your Grandmother in some way? Perhaps she new you were afraid of the other attempts she made to communicate with you, then maybe tried something a bit more subtle.😕

Thanks for sharing.

Dan

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: