You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: An Astral Incident

Real Ghost Stories

An Astral Incident

 

This is a true story that happened to me and my family back in 1959 when I was 15 years old. I come from a family of 7, Mum and dad and 5 youngsters. (4 boys 1 girl).

We lived in a terraced house in Liverpool, England. Each Saturday some of us Kids would take a bus ride and visit our maternal grandparents, who lived some 5 miles away. Being the eldest I always got to visit and was responsible for my younger brothers and sister throughout the trip. We all enjoyed seeing our Granddad and Grandma and my Aunty, my Mums older sister, who was unmarried and still lived at home. We would spend the afternoon playing in the large garden and then later watch TV, which we thought was great because we didn't have our own TV at that time. My Granddad always made a special tea for us with sandwiches and loads of cakes. Later in the evening my Mum would turn up to fetch us all back home again. This was a weekly family ritual and went on for years.

This particular night was in mid November 1959. We kids had had a great day and another fine tea. Our Mum had turned up and we all watched a bit of TV together. We usually left for home around 10.pm. It was a cold night and the room curtains had been closed earlier and the gas fire turned up full. However about 9.30pm there was a noticeable drop in the temperature and the room became very cold, even though the fire was turned up full. My Mum commented on how icy it felt. Suddenly- there came three very loud knocks on the window and everyone all shouted out at once- Who could it be? I felt my hair stand on end and my sister said the very same thing; her scalp was prickling with fright. My Granddad, who was a very "no nonsense" type, grabbed a walking stick, opened the front door and went round the side of the house to check what was going on. The room window was pretty much unreachable from the pavement as it was set back and behind a garden wall and a hedge of privet. Granddad soon came back inside, saying that no one was out there and that it must have been the wind blowing a branch from the garden tree onto the glass. However it was not a windy night, just a cold one.

Everyone was still pretty much alarmed at the incident and as we tried to settle down and all of us have another cup of tea, the same three knocks came again- only this time from the ceiling of the room we were in! Everyone jumped up and we all spoke at once, my sister was crying with fear and my Mum was trying to calm her down while calling to my Granddad who was in the kitchen. My Aunt spoke out and said she thought somebody must have got in behind her father's back when he first went outside. This "intruder" was now upstairs and knocking on the floor of the room up above! Granddad again got the walking stick and flew upstairs, searching everywhere, but finding nothing, no intruder and no easy explanation of the three knocks. After that things calmed down and as the adults put the events down to being "inexplicable" our Mum took us excitable kids home.

The tale would have ended there as no one ever spoke about it again. I kept my ears open though and later in the week overheard some adult conversation between my Mum and Dad. It seems that later that same strange night, after we had all gone home my Grandfather was visited by an apparition in his bedroom. He saw and heard his younger, estranged brother calling him by name. When he answered, his brother disappeared. On the following Monday morning the police called at the house to inform my Granddad that his younger brother had just died in hospital on the Saturday night previous. When my Granddad visited the hospital he was told by the nurses that his brother had been calling out for him, just before he died at 3pm on Sunday morning.

This is a true story and my personal interpretation is this. I believe in astral travel and the existence of the soul as an entity.

I propose that the knocking on the window and the later knocking through the ceiling of the room was performed by the astral body of my great uncle who was desperate to make peace with my Granddad before he died. The later visitation to my granddads bedroom happened while my great uncle was still alive and he must have been "astral travelling", knowing he was about to die and visited my granddad in order to make amends for the quarrel they had had many years before. James Eaton Jan 2011

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, snakemansnakes, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

nighthawkman (3 stories) (15 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-06-01)
Hi snakemansnakes, what a fantastic story, I was actually there as I read it! Totally believe in astral projection of the soul as I witnessed something a little similar myself, see my story: contact in the dining room-kitchen. Your on my favourites because not only did you have and live the experience but also got an explanation of what had happened. It's nice to think your Grandfather and Great Uncle have now sorted their differences and also I hope your Grandfather died peacefully knowing his Brother tried to amend their brotherly Love 😐
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
13 years ago (2011-01-30)
snakemansnake - your great-uncle was very determined to get your grandfather's attention, wasn't he? Wow! I can't imagine the determination he had to see your grandfather before passing. Funny how stubborn our grandparents can be 😆. I could clearly see my grandpa when I was reading this story. He also had a walking stick and was never without it. He'd have reacted the same way. Nobody out there, just a tree limb. Anything to calm the kids.

My grandpa died in 1985 and I think a lot of stories that I need to know died with him.
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
13 years ago (2011-01-26)
snakeman: My Mom (or Dad) never went to church the entire time we were growing up... We always went with my cousins... But now, she's a very active member of her little back-woodsy non-denominational church... But for years, she stayed home after she and my step-dad married, and he went without her LOL 😆...Funny, that generation!... ❤
snakemansnakes (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-01-26)
Looking back on those days when I was younger, I recall that neither of my parents were church goers, maybe that was due to the fact that they were both from opposing branches of Christianity. My father was a Roman catholic while my Mother is Protestant Church of England. Us kids were always packed off to what used to be called "Sunday school" (C of E) Every Sunday without fail. But my parents never followed their individual faiths. My father is now gone and I have noticed that, as my Mother gets older, and her friends and acquaintances die off (so to speak) She is a more regular church attender. Maybe this is a common human thing, the older we get and the nearer to our own mortality and passing away we get, the more we need reassurance and answers. Hope I'm not going off topic here!
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
13 years ago (2011-01-25)
snakeman: Seems as though that's the way those generations were: once an incident goes to the grave with a person, they leave it there... Not a bad thing, except for those of us who are curious...

I like this account very much, it's very well written!...Going into my favorites... Thank you for posting, and please keep us updated if you get any more info from your Mother... 😊 ❤
snakemansnakes (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-01-25)
All the later events relating to the incident, such as the visitation my Grandfather was supposed to have seen, his later trip to the Hospital and any funeral there may have been, were never talked about or discussed by anyone in the family. Everyone wished I would just let it drop. My Grandfather is long gone and my Grandmother and Aunty also. I never dared ask my Grandfather about the fallout between him and his brother. After my Grandfathers death I did try asking my Aunty about the event but she couldn't be drawn out either. My Mother is still alive but refuses to talk about the events. I think all of my older, god fearing relatives got the fright of their lives that night and have hidden it ever since. I plan to visit my Mum soon, (she lives outside the UK) and hopefully ask a few questions about her Fathers brothers etc and maybe if she knows anything about the fall out in the family. Until then I am no wiser.
510mot (3 stories) (262 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-01-25)
Wouldn't we all seek peace with our loved ones in the end? Its a shame so many of us wait until then to try. Thanks for sharing this one with us,mate. I believe I'll ring my brother now. Cheers!-Mike
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-01-24)
This is such a sad story. I do believe it was your grandfather's brother trying to reach out to him before he passed away. I hope your grandfather was able to attend the funeral and let their argument go so he can rest in peace. ❤
vulcan10 (5 stories) (332 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-01-24)
I agree. It would be a hard burden to bear knowing that you had the chance to reconcile and never did. I hope I make all of my amends if I have any by then. It sounds like your great uncle. Hopefully your granddad was able to rest peacefully knowing that his brother wished for peace in the end.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: