You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Room 314 at the Ateneo de Manila University

Real Ghost Stories

Room 314 at the Ateneo de Manila University

 

When I was in college, I went to a university in the Philippines called Ateneo de Manila University. The university was ran by Jesuit priests and was fairly new when you compare it the Ivy League schools in the USA. The land where the university now stood was apparently either a prison camp or a war hospital during the Japanese occupation of the Philippines back in World War two. Now that fact may or may not have anything to do with my story. I only know what me and my roommates experienced.

It was summer and I was dorming in Cervini Hall with three other girls - Michelle, Kat and a girl who didn't really attend the university but was just their for summer classes and therefore I can't remember her name. For the sake of the story, I will call her SummerGirl.

Michelle, Kat and I knew each other pretty well after having lived in the same dorm for the past few terms. We usually lived in Eliazo Hall the girls dorm but during the summers, we had to make do with living in the third floor of the boys dorm. This is how ended up in Room 314.

From, the beginning, there were some strange occurrences in Room 314. It wasn't really any big deal in the beginning. It was just things like door locking themselves, hair standing on end in the middle of the night over nothing. Stuff like that.

But there were two occurrences that really marked our summer experience that year. The first one involved Michelle. Her bed was by the door. And the wall of the door had wooden window jalousies. The jalousies at the bottom half would not close. One night while Michelle was studying French, she suddenly bolted out of her study desk and ran outside. Kat and I looked at each other in surprise when she did this. Upon her return, we asked her what made her bolt like that. According to Michelle the reason that she did was that while staring off into space while studying, she had seen someone through the open jalousies walking very slowly in a long white nightgown. The pace of the person's walk as well as the what she (Michelle referred to her as a she) was wearing made her curious and that's why she ran out. Kat and I asked her then what she found outside. Michelle replied that there was no one outside. But she was sure she had seen that person in a white nightgown walking slowly.

She even went next door, she said, because at the rate the person was walking she would have just been next door - but when she opened the door to the next room, no one there was wearing a white nightgown. We never did find out what that thing was, but I remember Kat, Michelle and I praying that night for the unrestful souls.

The second incident in room 314 was even scarier. This time it involved me and Michelle. One night, I was experimenting with my new curling iron. I had a mirror positioned on my desk and I was curling my hair. From behind me through the mirror, I could see NewGirl sitting on her chair in front of her desk studying or reading at least. Kat was on her bed next to New Girl's bed Michelle was again across me sitting by her desk studying.

As I curled my hair, I could see NewGirl from her back in my mirror. A few moments on, I thought I heard her crying as well as reading a letter or something like that. The thought should I approach her and comfort her crossed my mind, but then I thought, I shouldn't be so nosy after all, I didn't know her at all. So that decided, I continued curling my hair and eventually got tired of doing so and started to straighten my hair again. She was still crying then. As I turned around to talk to Michelle, I suddenly glimpsed NewGirl sleeping on the bed next to Kat's. In the split second that I've seen her through my mirror crying and reading, there was no way that she could have gotten to the bed from the chair that fast. I suddenly realized that the person that I've been seeing in the mirror was not NewGirl. I glanced at Michelle and she told me, I saw her too! I jumped from my bed and Michelle and I ended up sleeping in the same bed that night.

When Kat saw us lying in the same bed the next day she asked what happened. And we told her. She said that NewGirl had gone to sleep the same time as her. I was curling my hair and seeing that girl in the mirror for a good 20 minutes. And all that time, it wasn't her.

From that time on, we resolved to pray for the restless souls in our midst before going to bed at night. I think we helped them, because we had an uneventful rest of the summer in Rm.314.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Philippines

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Mary Josephine Clare V. Bautista, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

masterchief (2 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-03-17)
[at] Gian (Room 314)

My uncle is a blue blood Atenean since HS, and stayed in the same Hall. The room 314 is BS. My uncle's frat mates supposedly invented it many years ago and the joke turned into a long-lasting one. Even his classmates in the same major stayed there, and never encountered one spooky incident except maybe when someone stole his San Miguel beer from the table but that's pretty much it.

Totally not true...however...

My ex-girlfriends from nearby Miriam told me stories that were hard to believe but spookier.
lunarpanda (guest)
 
14 years ago (2009-11-09)
off-topic: a poser is someone who pretends to be someone/something he/she is not.
villain_prince (6 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-10-20)
nice story... Mostly old universities here in manila always had a spooky story (di na un mwawala),i'll mention some schools that had a lot of scary stories, Letran, University of santo tomas, UP diliman, Ateneo de manila
mas15ecp (1 stories) (7 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-01)
Ateneo stories, ill post more Ateneo stories but its from Ateneo de Zamboanga University. I got tons of stories to tell about AdZU but most of them are n0t my experiences just like "The Man in the Class Window".
candykendi (1 stories) (8 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-25)
haha. I'm studying in an ateneo school here in cagayan and guess what? There are a few scary stories in this school. And FYI, a poser is someone who claims that its their own story but its not. Much more like a fake identity. I think the word FAKE is better.:) peace. XD
princezz122 (7 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-16)
i don't like ateneo I want to study at de la salle university and what does a poser mean?
Gian (1 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-21)
Uh... Hi! I'm currently a dormer in the Ateneo de Manila University: Cervini Hall... Guess what my room number is? Tadaaa... Room 314! Hahaha...

Apparently, your claim to link Cervini Hall (or Ateneo) as a hospital/POW camp during WWII is (I think) not true.

First, the Cervini Residence Halls opened its doors to dormers in 1966. (World War II ended 1945)... Bellarmine Hall was actually the student residence before that time.

Second, the current AdMU campus was terribly bombed during the liberation of Manila (1945). Had this been a hospital/POW camp, the Americans would have especially marked the it off their bombing runs.

The University of Sto. Tomas IS, however, a confirmed hospital/POW camp during WWII after the Japanese detained American personnel and several prominent Filipinos there (c. 1941-43). It was liberated on 1945.

Ateneo de Manila is located in P. Faura, in Ermita, Manila during WWII. They relocated to the Loyola Heights (present location) 1952, led by Fr. William Masterson, SJ (thus the Fr. Masterson Drive in AdMU).

But then again, thank you for sharing your story! We haven't found/felt any strange lalas here lately. But we'll try to ward off those *** here in room 314. Take care and God bless. 😜
ashley18 (8 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-20)
ohh... Ataneo de Manila university... Is one of the famoust university in manila;) if I wer you haha I will ran fast!:P piece...
metalhed16 (14 stories) (119 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-13)
great story,

The college my cousin went to had a LOT of ghosts in it... He had a lot of very interesting and spine tingling stories lol
muahh (53 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-02)
more Ateneo stories!

more Ateneo stories!

hehehe I didn't know Ateneo's a Spooksville as much as UP is! 😨
sixsecondz (4 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-05)
my kuya told me about the place but it was a different story and different floor back when his friend and him where both in college
tootszky (4 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-12-26)
😨 That's really spooky. Mary, did you or any of your two friends investigated that room before? It seems like a soul needs help there.
Dadomz (3 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-07-21)
Hey. I'm an Eliazo dormer as of now. Lol. I didn't know Ateneo was a prison camp or a war hospital O_o It's been there since the late hispanic era right? So you mean it served more as a sanctuary or a refugee camp?

Anyhow--you should know the stories around the Grade School area and Gonzaga hall, it's effing scary.
kathia (14 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-05-30)
This story is spooky because I live in Hartford Job corps in Conneticut and I live in the dorms(dormitory) and I being in room 216 for 9 months straight with out changing me. Alot of people past throught my room and say "this room feels diffent" once we got 4 beds in a big room you know so by that time my bed was close to the wall and I was talking to my room mate and all of the sudden I see this guy looking at us and I panic because I was in my underwear I was scared and I screamed and she said to me you saw it and I ask her did you see it and we both saw that same thing a "ghost" guy and after that she left home and the other girl finished and I'm still here waiting to finished what I started*******************

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: