You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Children Who See Spirits :: The Red Stained Handprint

Real Ghost Stories

The Red Stained Handprint

 

I remember staring out the window of my Aunt Linda's red Jeep into the vast Texas starry sky. I was eight years old and we were headed to "the country" far from the city lights of Houston. During the week we lived in a crowded neighbourhood but Fridays were special. Fridays were the days that we loaded up and headed to easy country living in the middle of nowhere outside of Centerville, TX. My Aunt and Uncle had been building on their country home on the weekends; their work week was in Houston. My Uncle had grown up in the Concord and Marquez area and it was always home.

My little heart was excited; it was a special weekend because my two much older cousins were coming to "the country" too. Of course they were young adults and drove themselves but it was exciting because they were going to be there. They were bringing their friends and their girlfriends so it was going to be a great weekend bar-b-ques and working in the garden, feeding animals, and of course getting time to spend with family and friends.

The trip was long and boring. The strip of I-45 past Huntsville was always so dark every once in a while there would be a dimly lit gas station but for the most part the road was open and the night was thick. We stopped in Centerville at the only burger shop within miles, Texas Burger, to get my onion ring fix before heading out towards Marquez. I hated this limb of the trip. Yes, it was bringing me closer to home but we would have to pass right past the old building. We turned left at the little green marker that read Old Bowling. Now I kept my little greasy fingers and face pressed up against the glass of my window while my eyes tried to scan the steep hill ahead of us. We would lose our radio station at any moment until we reached the top of the hill. It was routine. I was looking for packs of deer. My Aunt would drive slowly so we could search the cut fields for signs of movement along treelines and fence lines but also because there would be large schools of deer walking across the tiny road.

Every curve brought us closer to the section of road I hated. When the concrete dissipated and I felt the all too familiar thud of the tires crunching the red dirt road I would always hold my breath. I stared at that building from the time my tiny eyes could make out its shape in the moonlight. My little imagination would run wild as I stared out at the headstones of the cemetery that is located right beside the shelter. I didn't just see the marble and granite; I would see foggy shadows in the moonlight dancing along the rows of the deceased. That didn't bother me; to see the shadows dancing in the moonlight it was the building that scared me. No matter how many times I had been their during the day it scared me to my core. I could feel my hands grow colder every time we passed by but the second I couldn't strain my neck or eyes to see it anymore I would be just fine. All I knew of the place was that it was old. I was young but I knew it was a special dark place. I was always asking my Aunt if I could walk up there to see it but at the time I had to have someone responsible with me because I was just a kid and most everyone I knew had gotten tired of me begging them to take me there.

It was built in the 1800's and is open for visitor's day or night. After torturing my cousin for a day he and his friends and girlfriend decided they would take me but in true cousinly fashion it had to be after dark. I knew it was just a ploy to get my attentions not to go, feeding on my fear but as much as I hated the place I loved it. It felt familiar. We all crammed inside my cousin's black car his rock and roll tape echoing into the night as we headed to the old church/school. I was excited and scared as he pulled into the small outlet drive and parked in front of the building. They gathered flashlights and we all piled out of the car. Sonya, my cousins' girlfriend, made me hold on to her hand as we opened the heavy door.

The very familiar creaking of the door sent an instant shock wave of tingles over my body every time I heard it. My little lungs would hold my breath taking in the heavy scent of dust and old wood and lingering traces of paper it was a sweet sickening smell. The floorboards would creak from time to time and I felt as if someone who wasn't supposed to be watching me was. With my little yellow flashlight in hand I was okay. I was shaky but who wouldn't be? My eyes followed the bright beam of light as I carefully scanned the small room. There were rows of pews that were constructed so that the back of one pew could easily be dropped and form a desk for the school children. There was cursive lettering written in faded white chalk along the top of the baseboards that led to the second story. I had always wondered how long that alphabet had adorned the walls.

My cousin and his friends were trotting upstairs, laughing and acting as young men do. Their voices were booming in the silent place. An old piano sat lonely across the room from where I stood and no matter how much my little legs wanted to carry me over there to instinctively bang on the faded keys I could never bring myself to do so. Something always stopped me. It was fear. She would know. She wouldn't want me touching it. She used to stare at me from every corner her scowled face burning my skin. She was the school teacher/preacher's wife. Back then the preacher and his wife would run the school and on Sundays it was the church for the surrounding area. Mack, my cousin, was urging me to come up the stairs. His taunts eventually got the best of me so Sonya and I followed through the small doorway up a flight of wickedly twisted stairs. There were no windows on this floor. Small cracks of thin light would dance along the red dust covered floor from the moon outside. This floor was completely empty. Nothing just the echo of Mack's laughter and his friends heavy feet.

Suddenly my flashlight, my beam of courage disappeared. I clicked the button forward and backward frantically but nothing happened. I felt her, the old school teacher staring at me. She was in the darkness. She wasn't happy that I had invaded her private space. I was too young to be up here and I knew better. I felt a wave of goose bumps blanket my skin as I listened to my cousin and his friend making fun of me in the dark. Sonya had let go of my hand, she was trying to get my flashlight to work and I felt an icy grip grab me just above my elbow and pull me to the side, urging me to move out of the way. I thought it was Sonya; it wasn't until she started frantically calling out of me that I noticed it wasn't. The fingers dug deep into the tender skin under my arm, they burned and chilled at the same time. The grasp was strong and demanding. I felt her anger; it was transferring from her to me somehow. Her energy was mine or mine was hers. I wasn't sure where she ended and I began.

I tried to run to Sonya's voice but I couldn't move. It was as if my legs were made of heavy leather and I knew something wasn't right. Then I saw the shadow, her formidable shadow. She was holding on to me and pulling me towards the stairs. I tried to speak but my mouth had grown so dry to fast that nothing came out. Not even a whisper. I tried to pull away from her my heart was beating so loudly I could have sworn that everyone in the room heard it vibrating through the air. Then suddenly the right side of my face began to burn and throb. The slap echoed through my body and set my face on fire. Sonya quickly grabbed me and pulled me down the stairs and out of the front door. I still felt the woman's presence all around me. Sonya had screamed for my cousin to hurry up and get me home she knew something wasn't right but it wasn't until we got home that everyone started asking me if I was okay.

I didn't say a word, what could be said? Yes. No. I still felt the anger and frustration that she had been feeling. She was mad at me for being there and I was being disciplined as she saw fit. My Aunt pulled me into the kitchen and asked me what happened. I tried to fit the pieces together but I was so mad that I could barely speak. She then asked me in the most serious tone that I have ever heard from her to this date, "Who slapped you?"

"I made her mad," I replied as I wiped the skin on my cheek.

"Who," she asked her eyes fixated on Sonya.

"Uncle Bobby's Aunt," I replied. "The school teacher."

She was shocked. They had never told me that my Uncle's Aunt was the one who ran the school when it was opened.

As a teenager I went there several more times before becoming so obsessed with it that I knew I had to back from it. There was nothing for me to learn there except that I wasn't welcomed. I had friends who would try to talk me into going up there at night again but I remembered the stained red handprint that adorned my pale skin as a child and the fear and anger with frustration and sorrow, I would never put myself or anyone else in her fury. I was the intruder and she was protecting her home from me. I still get the eerie feeling when I drive past when I go home to visit and my right cheek still to this day burns as a reminder when I pass by.

I still remember the anger that washed over me and the disgust that coated my dry mouth as I tried to speak. I have had other things happen before but nothing quite like that.

Other hauntings by PestilentPixie

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Texas

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, PestilentPixie, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

aiafaith1 (guest)
+1
13 years ago (2011-05-20)
This story had me sitting on the edge of my seat! It was really good. I'm so sorry that idiot ghost slapped you! That would have made me so mad, I would have been yelling at her.
PandasAreFun (3 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-03-03)
You are a wonderful writer, I'm 12 years old, and a female and I'm usually scared by this kind of stuff. But, This story interested me so much I put it as one of my favorites. Now, I am going to read more of your stories, lol. 😁
jeepgrl16 (12 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-02-18)
i love the way you tell your stories! I can feel chills from reading this! Please keep sharing!
taz890 (12 stories) (1380 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-02-17)
o.m.g this had my heart pounding, my fingers are shaking and my mouth has gone so dry. What a fantastic story had me gripped from the first word.
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-01-26)
I would like to compliment you on your writing style! Very interesting story; kept me on the edge of my seat.

I must say, you have a very healthy attitude toward what happened at that old church/school. I don't think, as a matter of fact I know I couldn't be that gracious. You can take a look at my stories on here, I run and cry.

Thanks for taking the time to share your story with us,

God Bless!
LouSlips (10 stories) (979 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-01-26)
Pixie,
My compliments on your abilities to engage the reader. By no means do I discredit your account just because you are articulate enough to express yourself eloquently. I have had a few doubters on my submissions as well, it comes with the territory... As you already know.

Thanks for your submission,
Lou
PestilentPixie (4 stories) (52 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-01-25)
I asked family members who I believed would have known more about her than her name and connection with the family but time and distance had all but erased her from memory and mind. All there were stories passed from family member to family member which isn't really a reliable source of stone cold information. From what I understand she was a very old fashioned type of woman. Children were to be seen and not heard and she did not have children of her own. She has been explained as being very religious but strict.

Thank you for the comment I don't look at my actions as being brave. I wanted to go there, I was drawn there. It was a mysterious place that made me scared and excited as well as happy and the thoughts of possiblities opened doors to young curiousity. I think that she attacked me because I was a child and I believe she thought I needed to learn my place.
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-01-25)
Great story! Wonderfully written, felt like I was right there with you in that old spooky school/church. I have to say being so young, you were very brave to go there after dark. Then to go back several more times after your experience is amazing. I wonder why she chose to take her anger out on you instead of one of the other people who were older than you. Did you ever find out what kind of person she was in life? Maybe she was one of those mean teachers that used to hit students. Thanks for the story, going right into my fav's 😊 ❤
PestilentPixie (4 stories) (52 posts)
-1
13 years ago (2011-01-25)
Angelic, I believe that you are speaking of Nephilim are you not? I have studied a great deal on the matter of Nephilim the offspring of fallen angels and mortal women. I have spoken with different Priests, Pastors, Preachers, of various religions and there is so much left to interpretation its hard to objectify fact from folklore. On the subject of Nephilim every religious light I have spoken too has stated that the "Great Flood" was so God could purify the Earth of the Giants of the Fields, Nephilim, and Goliath from the story of David he and his brothers were supposed to be Nephilim according to different religious sects.

I have heard your reply to my Uncle's Aunt being a demon before from a friend of mines Mother, she is a deeply rooted Christian woman whose opinion I value greatly.

Thank you for sharing your story with me. I am very sorry that you have had to go through such things at a young age I personally know how that changes and steals a sort of childish glee from the world.

I am a great believer in life experience and it took me a great deal of time before I learned the lesson I feel I should have from this. I was drawn there, it was a place I feared but yet questioned because it was one of my first experiences that I couldn't explain.

I guess I should say that my experiences and the experiences others have felt there are always up for interputation just as anything else in this world or the next. I no longer fear the way I did before. I may get a slap in the face or in your case a bite but I will be okay.

Thank you for your comment and sharing.
angelchic10189 (5 posts)
-2
13 years ago (2011-01-25)
I was reading your story and pondered across a thought that came to mind. I believe the ghost you encountered was not your Uncle's Bobby's Aunt. The ghost is an evil demon. I had similar incidences when I was seven, eight, and nine years old. At the age of seven an evil demon bite my arm and left teeth marks. I felt it's anger towards me especially when I reviled against it. This happened while I was sleeping. I discovered the teeth marks on my right arm after I awaken from the dream. At the age of eight my family moved next to a cemetery. The area was quiet and peaceful. A tremendous change from our previous home. In our previous home we lived with my aunt and late at night cars would drive by at times playing loud music. One day I wanted to brush my teeth before my mom finished cooking dinner. It was late in the evening but night did not fall yet. Somehow my heart was troubled as I thought about brushing my teeth alone in the bathroom. The kitchen was nearby and I had nothing to be afraid of. I went inside the bathroom and about 10 minutes passed until I felt the urge to stare at the door. I was done brushing my teeth and I wanted to exit the bathroom right away. Suddenly, I heard a squeaking noise as if a door knob was turning. I saw someone slowly turn the door knob and open the bathroom door about seven inches. I asked, "Who is it?" No one said nothing. I then opened the door and looked around the room. No one was around accept my mom at the kitchen sink. I asked my mom did anyone come inside my room and she said no one did. By this point I was frightened. My sister was in the living room watching tv and my other sister was in her room. If anyone tried to sneak out the room I would at least seen him or her tip toeing out my room because the bathroom door was opened wide enough for me to see my bedroom door. No one walked in or out of the room while and after the evil demon was opening the bathroom door.

During this time I thought it was a ghost due to the fact we was living near a grave yard. For many years I began to think ghost were spiritual beings bound to earth for a thousand years but I realized the truth a few years ago. I decided to stop running from God and began to ask Him why I had nightmares of men trying to hurt me. Also, I asked God about the incidences I encountered as a child. I was reading a book called, "23 Minutes In Hell." The author, Bill Wiese, went to Hell stated in the book God desires for us to know the truth that Hell is real that is why God sent him to Hell. In a particular chapter Bill said demons slept with women (human beings) on earth. He, Bill, pointed out scriptures explaining why giants exist on the earth. Giants are the offspring of evil demons (fallen angels) sleeping with women. When I was five years old I experienced odd dreams of men touching me (what appeared to be men during the time). These dreams progressed into my late teens. During the time, I thought they were just dreams thinking it was not real.

(( (I know my writing is all over the place but I wanted to give a quick overview of my experiences.)) )

The book convinced me. The scriptures that were pointed out came from Genesis 6:1-4 which says, "Now it came to pass, when men began to multiply on the face of the earth, and daughters were born to them, (Verse 2) that the sons of God saw the daughters of men, that they were beautiful; and they took wives for themselves of all whom they chose. (Verse 3) And the Lord said, My Spirit shall not strive with man forever, for he is indeed flesh; yet his days shall be one hundred and twenty years. (Verse 4) "There were giants on the earth in those days, and also afterward, when the sons of God came in to the daughters of men and they bore children to them. Those were the mighty men who were of old, men of renown."

The sons of God are the fallen angels which are indeed evil demons. Also, (came into the daughters of men) is talking about sex. After I read this in the book and in the Holy Bible I wanted to know more about it. I tried searching for a book the author referenced in his book but I came up short as I hoped I would stumble across a passage or two from the book. I came here and read stories from people who experienced evil demons having sex with them. Some people thought these evil demons were ghost. Everything started to come into the light. In my dreams these evil spirits posed as human beings hoping I would fall for it. I suspected they were ghosts because at times when I saw the evil demons they appeared to be a shadowy form of a human being.

It was stated in the book "23 Minutes In Hell" that demons roam the earth attacking people. You experienced an evil demon impersonating your uncle bobby's aunt. If you want to talk more you can contact me. My email is aaron.teresa [at] yahoo.com.
510mot (3 stories) (262 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-01-24)
Pestilent Pixie, I recently posted my first tale as well. I really put a lot of thaught into it in hopes to make as vivid as possible for the readers. I feared that simply stating my case would not convey the eeriness of the story. Kudos to you for a very engaging story! I cannot wait to read any other tale you may have.
PestilentPixie (4 stories) (52 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-01-24)
Lisa, yes others have had the same types of encounters there. Several of my Uncle's friends and family members explained after hearing my story that they had similar touches and eerie feelings there. And, friends that I went to school with when I was older from the area stated that they would hear things walking upstairs but when they went to see no one was ever there.
Lisa66 (1 stories) (54 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-01-24)
Wonderfully written! Did anyone else with you experience anything close to what you did? Any voices, touches, etc?
Scooby (20 posts)
+3
13 years ago (2011-01-24)
Holy Crow! That gave me the tingles! So well written! Thank you for sharing your story and your major talent for the written word! 😊 😊 😊
PestilentPixie (4 stories) (52 posts)
+3
13 years ago (2011-01-24)
Shelby, thank you for your comment. This is a true story and if I were eight years old when I wrote it the adjectives used would have been plain such as creepy feeling or scary. You did not offend me and yes from what I understand this site is supposed to be stories of a true nature. I have had time to sit and think about what I was going to say opposed to just saying when I was eight I was slapped by an angry ghost in a haunted school/church by my Uncle Bobby's Aunt. I would rather submit a properly thought true story than a poorly written one. Thanks again for the comment!
mustang (5 stories) (749 posts)
-4
13 years ago (2011-01-24)
I'm not trying to be rude by any means but I guess this will come across as just that. The only comment/remark I can give on this story is that the whole time I was reading it, felt like reading straight from a book. I thought this site was for our own personal, true, ghost stories. If this is a true personal story and you were just trying to make it more interesting, although ghosts themselves are interesting enough as it is, then I apologize. No hard feelings. I just get disappointed when I read stories or watch these ghost hunter programs on tv and you can see right through the bull. It feels like mockery to me. Again, I apologize ahead of time if I offended you.

SHELBY
lucifer06660 (1 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-01-24)
creepy but a good story
Definitely one of my favourites now.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: