You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Ghost Tours & Haunted Hotels :: My First Encounter With A Spirit Was On Board The Queen Mary

Real Ghost Stories

My First Encounter With A Spirit Was On Board The Queen Mary

 

I have always been enamoured with the idea of spirits. Most Haunted, Ghost Hunters, etc., always fascinated me when they were on television. But a strong sense of, self-preservation, for lack of a better phrase, kept me from actively seeking out the paranormal. I was always of the mind, 'If a ghost has something to say to me, they'll come and find me.'

In 2009, I was just under a year from graduating from film school. A project came up where we had to create a three minute television segment about places to go, things to do and see in and around the Los Angeles area. Immediately I thought about The Queen Mary. I'd never been on board her, and had always been curious. I contacted their PR department, and they agreed to let me film there. So, with a single cameraman in tow, I headed down the 405 to Long Beach, thirty minutes away from where I lived.

Stepping on board, I felt no ill will towards myself, no sense of dread, no urgent need to turn and run. In fact, I felt quite comfortable. I've always believed myself to be a little bit of a sensitive, being able to 'feel' out the emotional vibes of a situation without being a full on medium or psychic. It hadn't failed me before, so I was content to remain and go on the tour that had been arranged for us.

The majority of the tour was interesting from an historical point of view, and all seemed calm. We walked across a catwalk high in one of the former engine rooms into a narrow hallway about forty-five minutes into the tour. I was first in the line of the people that were with us, just behind the tour guide. The guide stopped about 10 yards off of the catwalk and opened a door to our left. Whatever calm, safe feelings I had immediately vanished with a rush of air that came through the door towards me. Every single hair on my body stood on end, I took two physical steps back and everything within me screamed out, 'NO! Do NOT go in there!'

I looked towards my cameraman, who watched me with a raised eyebrow. I felt like a fool for reacting so powerfully to what seemed like to others just a door opening, but there was no way I wanted to go in that room. As the others shuffled by us, the guide announced that I could not stay in the hallway, because we were not leaving through the same door. He disappeared into the room, and my cameraman followed; stopping just inside the doorway to wait for me. Taking a deep breath, I stepped forward into a room that I had heard of, but had never been in. The infamous first class pool area.

We stayed in the room for around twenty minutes or so, as the guide told the story of the legend of the room and what it supposedly holds; a vortex to the other side. And it's open to any and all spirits, not just to those who died aboard the ship.

For those of you who have not been on board The Queen Mary, the first class pool area is separated into two levels; the first being the pool level, the second being the observation level. Near the end of our time in the room, I was up on the observation level with only my cameraman and the tour guide on the same level. Everyone else in the group was on the pool level. I was standing with my back towards a wall, facing my cameraman, who had his back towards me and both of his hands holding the camera. The guide was about ten to fifteen feet to my right.

I'm thinking how well everything is going when I feel this slow, deliberate tug on the hood of the hoodie I was wearing, like someone had either brushed by me or wanted to get my attention. Not really thinking much of it, I turned to my left; perhaps someone in the group had come up and brushed behind me to get past me. There was no one there. Hhmm. Interesting. I turned to my right. No one there except the guide and he's nowhere near close enough to touch me. I turn in a complete circle and still NOTHING.

Burying my impulse to start screaming like a little kid, I calmly walked over to the guide, feeling invisible eyes watching me, told him what had happened, and that I felt I needed to leave the room immediately. He smiled and as he gathered the group to leave the pool area, he said that he had been waiting for something to happen. He proudly stated that on every tour he gave, it never failed that at least one person would have an experience. Turns out, I had been singled out as "The One" for that day.

Other hauntings by Scribs

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Scribs, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Scribs (2 stories) (3 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-01-27)
Kim~
I get you when you say you get the feeling that it seems like no one should be there or everyone should be there. However with me, each time I've gone into that room, it seems as if I'm walking into a room where no living person has the right to be. Does that make sense? The Queen's salon is another area of the ship that I found just, 'other worldly.' Like we were sneaking into a place we (living people) shouldn't be.

Miracles~ it actually turned out great! I'm quite proud of it and ended up as one of the pieces on my thesis reel. 😊
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
13 years ago (2011-01-26)
Scribs - great story! I really enjoyed reading it. I can just imagine how you must have felt knowing you didn't even WANT to go in the pool area to begin with and then to have your hoodie tugged on 😆. Wow!

Anyway, great story! By the way, what did your cameraman say and how did your tv segment turn out 😉
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-01-26)
I had the pleasure of visiting the Queen Mary two years ago.

I did not have any experiences during the visit, but did find the ship itself and all of the stories intriguing.

The pool are that you speak of is quite amazing, the look of the area and the feel of the area is quite intense. Like, maybe no one should be there, or everyone should be there. I don't know if that makes sense, but it has a draw to the area, then that draw for attention makes you want to take a step back.

Just from the feel of the place, I must say I totally understand and believe what occured with you in this area.

Thanks for taking the time to share your story,

God Bless!
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
13 years ago (2011-01-25)
Scribs: We went on vacation to Long Beach a few years ago, and did the "haunted" tour of the Queen Mary... I have to say, it ranks up there with one of the best tours I've ever had... The pool room is creepy in it's own right, just the way it sits, but when you add the paranormal twist, well, it's a really creepy place! 😆

Great story and thanks for posting... Looking forward to more! ❤
Scribs (2 stories) (3 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-01-24)
Shelby & Lark~

Thank you for commenting on my story. It was quite disconcerting, actually, when I realized that no one was there. I've gone back to The Queen Mary several times since then, and have returned each time to the pool area. And each time I have felt a presence, but most definitely NOT the same one as the first time. This one has me begging to leave within the first few seconds of stepping into the room without anything even happening! I actually had another encounter on one of those trips in a different area that I think I shall post here as well.

Shelby, in response to your question about my possibly feeling another's emotions to the point it affects my own, I think maybe that has happened a couple times, but rare enough where I can't say with any certainty. It was exciting, but frightening to the point where I now had actual PROOF that there was something there that I couldn't see and didn't have any rational explanation for.
Lark (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-01-24)
I really enjoyed your story and like Shelby, I also can relate to being sensitive to energies. I always say I'm not psychic, just very "in tune", I have never heard of an "Empath" before and I am pleased to learn there is an actual term for my ability. Hopefully my story (A Royal Encounter) will get published, I think you will be able to relate.
mustang (5 stories) (749 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-01-24)
Hi Scribs. What an experience for you. I could not help but smile when I read about the tug on your hoodie. They chose you because they knew you could feel their energy. I have had so many things happen to me that sometimes I just have to smile because it's so unbelievable. I always try to think logically when something strange happens, but there are sometimes when there is just NO explanation. Like when a toy gets picked up and dropped right in front of you. Was your experience exciting for you are just frightening? You said you are sensative to energies around you but you are not a medium/psychic, I can definitely relate to that. Can you feel other people's emotions to where it affects your own feelings? I can. Maybe you are an "Empath". Either way, the spirit that tugged on your hoodie knew that they would get a reaction out of you. Thanks for your story. I enjoyed reading it. It's nice to read stories you know really happened to someone rather than one that is written like a fictional story.

SHELBY 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: