You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Ghost Hunting :: Ghost Knocking Me Senseless

Real Ghost Stories

Ghost Knocking Me Senseless

 

As mentioned before, I am a Civil War enthusiast and enjoy learning of the courage and bravery of the Civil War period. With respect to land owners and the past, I have relic hunted in the past. This encounter occurred January 1993 in Fauquier County Virginia.

My hunting partner and I obtained permission to relic hunt this particular field for 1 day only. The temperature was 18 degrees on Sunday morning and we had to hunt that day regardless. With a heavy frost on the ground we started hunting for relics at approx. 0700.

We headed off in opposite directions so the machines would not interfere with each other. A while into the hunt I was finding some nice confederate relics as was my friend. As a general rule of thumb, before digging a hole, I look around in order to prevent any practical jokes such as being pecked on the shoulder with a long stick and being scared.

Well, I started digging a hole and WHAMM! Something hits me on my right ear knocking my headphones and two hats off my head. The impact was enough for me to see stars. Once I regained my composure (30-45 seconds), I jumped up ready to hand my friend some choice words and he was about 200 yards from me with his back toward me. So I made the short trip to him and asked what the hay he was trying to do. He was ignorant of my situation. We traced my steps back in the frosted field to examine the area for an explanation. We did not observe any other foot prints around my location, nor did we find any objects that could have been thrown. The nearest area where a person could have hidden was about 100 yards away in the direction of the impact. We concluded birds of prey do not have young that time of year so they were not protecting young. And there were no feathers left behind from a hard impact.

So our deduction is an upset soldier not wanting me in his area gave me a little attention. The item I was trying to retrieve at the time was an experimental exploding rifle minnie ball which is still my favourite artefact due to this story. After many years to analyse the encounter, I still believe someone was trying to get a message across. Let me know what you think.

Other hauntings by markj7

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Georgia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, markj7, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments but I won't participate in the discussion.

markj7 (3 stories) (19 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-01-30)
DCinAZ, I have a custom digging tool made from an old car leaf srping, rolled on one end for wieght and fairly sharp on the edge side from use. (ugly but practical) It was not without difficulty. The relics at this location were only about two inches deep due to never being plowed. The frost line is about four inches in that area. I wished he had shown me to his Virginia belt plate. My unicorn. Thanks for the comments.
DCinAZ (guest)
 
13 years ago (2011-01-29)
I've done some relic hunting myself, and I know what you mean about looking around first. I was bent over and had just pulled up a gold charm when I got wacked in the noggin' by an errant baseball from the field on the other side of the fence. Stars too. Drew blood even, but it wasn't as bad as it could have been.
How in the heck were you able to get through the frozen ground?
Anyway, it does seem like someone wanted your attention, badly too, is what it sounds like. Now, that can go either way if you sxk me. It was either trying to make you leave or it was trying to lead you to another spot. Sorry, that wae a typical hunters tease,.
I do like your story though, thanks for sharing.
JamesRobiscoe (419 posts)
+3
13 years ago (2011-01-27)
markj7--I don't suppose, given what you know about it, that the impact you felt could have been the minnie ball you found (italics) going through your head (end italics). Just thinking from a different slant.
markj7 (3 stories) (19 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-01-26)
He very well may have been protecting his turf. I have always repected the history and the souls who have paid a dear price. The item still resides in it's place with no activity known. I do have activity in my current home but not over the past 18 years. We have not hunted in locations before due to feeling uneasy. As mentioned, I would never do anything intentionally to violate the respect of the people how have given us our freedom. The area hunted was an encampment prior to a small battle nearby: so I am inclined to believe the items found were dropped or discarded items and not battlefield debris. That is taboo in my book. Thanks for the comments and opinions.
510mot (3 stories) (262 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-01-26)
uh... One of the two hats knocked off your head couldn't have been a "yankees"cap,right? (I kid!) Seriously though, it does seem like it was a clear warning to stop what you were doing. This spirit could've been protecting it's turf or maybe it feared for your safety as these miniballs may have still seemed dangerous to him. I can only guess. I don't suppose any other activity has occurred around this object?
ghostgirl909 (1 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-01-26)
😕 that's very weird he probally just didn't want you touching his things
rachie (1 stories) (65 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-01-26)
Maybe if his body was not identified, the rest of his gun was compensation.
shadowspirit (4 stories) (122 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-01-26)
hmm

Perhaps the person who hit you round the head could of been a previous owner, trying to protect his relic because it was his most important possession? Was there a castle or old building on this place you were looking?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: