You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Careful What You Wish For

Real Ghost Stories

Careful What You Wish For

 

2010 has been a hellascious year for the hard working folks of Louisiana. The oil spill and subsequent moratorium imposed put a lot of people, me included, out of a job. Ironically enough, many of us have found temporary work in jobs related to combating the spill. I was lucky to find security work in Port Fourchon, La.

It was there that I met Dustin, who like me would work weeks at a time in a place far from his home. Working together for long stretches he and I developed a quick friendship. Still, it can be a lonely way to make a living.So, when he was able to arrange for his girlfriend to stay with him in a beach house he and a co-worker were renting, I was happy for him.

Everyday Dustin would report to work and after a few hours would pass, he would invariably receive a phone call from her. They were clearly "head over heels" in love. I would always cover for him as he would wander off in search of some privacy when she would call.

On one day however, he returned to our post with a perplexed look replacing the sheepish grin that normally adorned his face. I could not help but notice and asked if there was trouble in paradise. I found what he next told me a lot more intriguing!

It seems that his girlfriend was feeling very flirtatious and had decided to send him a photo of her directly from the shower. (Did I mention they were in love?) After about 10 minutes had passed and receiving no reply, she decided to call. Dustin answered and was asked,"Well, what do you think?" He had not received the photo so he could only ask" About what?" Disappointed, she asked him "Did you get the photo I phoned you?"

This is the story goes from flirty to just plain strange. He tells me that just as he prepares to answer, a weird crackle accompanied by high pitched squelch cut in. A voice that both could hear says in a guttural, growling manner," Yes... It was beautiful..." They were both stunned and what followed only made it worse. Heavy breathing, seething with anger preceded by throaty animalistic growls growing in volume and ferocity until it suddenly ended the same way it started! During this event neither was able to hear each other.

He was understandably a little shaken, but I was amped! I told him that I believed he was interrupted by a spirit and told him how I envied him and wish that I could encounter something that cool. (I had not at that point encountered anything so clearly paranormal since my youth.)

The very next day he shared with me the information he had gathered from his girlfriend and room mate as well. She added that after they ended their call, she noticed hand prints on the steamed up mirror in the bathroom. They weren't that well formed as the mirror had begun cooling in the time she waited for his reply. But she insisted that they just looked too much like hand prints for her liking and she demanded the room mate look at them. He told Dustin that while sleeping in the bedroom across from that bathroom, he would hear cabinet doors open and shut and the toilet flushing over and over. One night he could swear that someone had crawled into his bed with him as he slept. He promptly moved to the sofa.

Time passed with nothing more to tell. Dustin chose not to renew his contract opting instead to go home with his love. I on the other hand love the money and so stayed on. I was reassigned to a post I work pretty much by myself as my new co-worker was stationed on the far side of our post. As my tri-weekly tour was ending I made a phone call home to make plans for my week off with my family, my wish came true!

I heard with my own ears the pre-described squelch and knew immediately what was about to transpire. A breathy growl emanated from my phone and I asked "Who's this?" and was met with a tirade of angry sounding rants in a language other than English. It had a "far away" sound, like someone speaking to you from the other end of a long pipe.

While it continued to growl and berate me I tried to place the language. My heritage is French-Indian. I am not all that knowledgeable about the old Indian tongues but this language being used to scare me had a familiar ring to it. What was being said I can't say but it sure was belligerent! Then, suddenly as it started it ceased.

There is more to tell after I left that I believe may or may not be related. I'll end here though as I am curious to see your comments and that I am a lousy typist. (It took waaay too long for me to type this.hunt/peck,hunt/peck) in closing, the moral of this tale is "be careful what you wish for".

Other hauntings by 510mot

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Louisiana

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, 510mot, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

SwampwaterBoonie (7 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-09-07)
Holy Crap on a Cracker! That was scary as hell, 510mot! Another good one!
510mot (3 stories) (262 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-05-13)
This was the only time in my peculiar life that I suspected that I might be dealing with something inhuman. Still the explorer in me was thrilled to have experienced it. I should probably get involved in investigations. I dig this stuff.
She138 (13 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-05-13)
I experienced something terrifyingly close to what you just described! Mind you it was only once and it was in Texas not Louisiana. Nevertheless, it scared me so bad that I wouldn't pick up a telephone for 6 months at least after that. And everyone knows that in itself can be a hassle for a 16 year old girl. It happened about 10 years ago.
dywongsty (1 stories) (4 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-02-15)
This story reminded me of a true story that happened to me when I was living in a dorm in high school.

Friend of mine was on the phone with his girlfriend from Honk Kong and she was telling him how she received a phone call from a friend of her father looking for her father earlier in the afternoon. Her father was not home at that time so she quickly took the number down on the caller display and let him know that her father will return the call when he returns. It slipped her mind until she was sitting in the dinning table with her parents and she realized that she had forgotten to let her father know that his friend was looking for him. When she told him the name and phone number, both her parents looked at each other with a strange look in their faces. Her father asked her if she was certain that THIS person called and left THIS NUMBER. She asked why and her mother said because this friend of your father had passed away half a year ago and this phone number should have been disconnected already. However, her father insisted on calling the number to find out who it really was and of course, the phone was disconnected.

None of them spoke a word of it after the call and she proceed to call my dorm mate in Canada, retelling him what had just happened. (I was in his room when this event took place) My buddy thought she was just playing a practical joke on him so he just laughed it off and said "Oh really? The ghost friend of your father must be bored down there that's why he called" and as soon as he said it, we heard a big bang on his wall and static over the phone with a deep voice asked "WHO ARE YOU?" My friend asked his girlfriend if she heard it she said she didn't hear anything because the phone got cut out for a second. They quickly ended their conversation and I went to bed after because I did not want to get involve with bad spirits. My friend got sick the next day and we never brought it up ever again.
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-02-14)
Wow 510mot 😲 that was a great story. Gave me the creeps. I bet Dustin's girlfriend isn't so free and frisky with her camera phone anymore. LOL! It definitely sounds like there is some spirit or perhaps spirits that have found a way to manipulate the phone frequency and cut in on your conversations. Thank you for sharing this with us. 😊
510mot (3 stories) (262 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-02-14)
I agree. There were several incidents that may have alternative explanations when considered singularly. When viewing the story in it's entirety though I have a hard time believing in coincidence. I do appreciate that most commentors are as willing to consider more conventional explanations as they are to believe paranormal ones. Its what makes this site such a useful tool in the search for truth
bandet888 (86 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-02-14)
As far as what happened with the phone I think maybe someone could have intercepted the picture transfer and replaced with sound effects. A hacker. When a picture is being transfered is it on line? Because I know you can go online with a phone. I'm still a little behind the times so I'm not sure how everything is routed. I just thought it was a possible explination. This doesn't explain the stuff happening at his girlfriends house though.
510mot (3 stories) (262 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-02-13)
Thanks Spectra. I am sure I have told my tale well when a comment starts with "sheesh"! Glad you enjoyed it.
510mot (3 stories) (262 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-02-13)
There were times when radio signals overlapped on the walkie-talkies but the chatter was clear and identifiable. Also I can't recall any one ever speaking anything but english on the radio. Above all else its the interception of the photo that stumps me. I suppose a phone can be hacked but the timing is so weird.
I_Am_SPECTRA (1 stories) (44 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-02-13)
Sheesh. Spine tingling. NeverEndingStory may have a point. What ever way you look at it though, its weird and dark. Thanks 510mot.
nightsky424 (4 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-02-13)
very strange I agree but I can tell you one thing I work in fast food and I used to work the drive thru. We had some weird things happen on our head sets we would get orders and no one would come to the window voices when no one was there. We found it strange until we found out our frecuncy had crossed with another one of the fast food places in the area they fixed it and it stopped, you never know. But I do agree sometimes it is a good idea not to wish out loud you never know who is tunned in
510mot (3 stories) (262 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-02-11)
Thank you, Kim. I have had one other thing happen at my apartment and my family tells of a few strange things. I can't be sure if its related. The good news being that these things all seem benign. My fiancee has gotten used to these things as they just keep coming. Like my bio says, I'm a weird magnet.
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-02-11)
510mot,
Thanks for taking time to share your occurance (s) with us.

I believe your title says it all; be careful what you wish for. Never know how it will affect you once it occurs.

Have you had any furthe happenings?

God Bless!
510mot (3 stories) (262 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-02-11)
During the call I initially planned to egg it on a bit, but it was already pretty angry. On this site we used our cars as guard shacks. There were many times that my radio would channel surf and even stranger still, would stop on static. I don't know if that is paranormal or not, but it sure creeped me out. The feeling that there was someone in the car with me was so strong that I actually said "you're not welcome here!"aloud.I'm not sure it worked because my family has told me of a few things happening at home
SmokeyKnight (3 stories) (193 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-02-10)
I wonder if it happens again what the reaction would be if you tried antagonizing it (NOT A SUGGESTION). Louisiana has had a LOT of strange stuff since Katrina happened. A lot of death and such, plus that BP oil spill. I can't say in envy the situation in any way, but keep your wits about you, and maybe find yourself a good luck charm.
Fuchsia (5 stories) (64 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-02-10)
Wow, that is scary! Always surround yourself with co-workers and don't forget to pray before you sleep! Stay safe ok? ❤
510mot (3 stories) (262 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-02-10)
One bit of imfo I neglected to share is the fact that Dustin did eventually receive the photo but only about an hour later. The area I work is the Louisiana coast line so we're surrounded by water. Many people believe that water fascilitates paranormal occurrences. Maybe they're right.
NeverEndingStory (3 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-02-10)
I worked at a place where we had to keep in touch with each other through walkie talkies and pager phones, they actually saidnhat the sub basement of the place was haunted and many workers have seen things floating or a woman figure around. We use to have distubances with all that type of stuff all the time, there were over fourty or so workers and all of us heard it through our walkie talkies and phone system. At first everyone thought it was someone tapping into our connection, they would say some pretty vulgar things and it sound like a woman. Our boss had EVERYONE, even the cops looking for the source of it and they found nothing. I personally thought it was a prankster that did this at least twice a month, but when I was hearing stories of ghosts haunting that place, I just did not know what to think. I don't work there anymore, but I keep in good contact with these people, a lot of them are friends I talk to daily and it still occurs, some think it's a person joking around somehow doing this getting into the reception, others just don't know. I want to say it was someone playing a prank, because I have known people that have done it to me on my phone trying to scare me, but the stories make confused to think what it really is.
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+3
13 years ago (2011-02-09)
510mot: Wow, truely creepy!...I agree with jznick that the area you're working has something more to it... Sometimes our ghosty friends have a fascination with all things electronic... Anything happen with other stuff like the radio, or walkie-talkies?...

Great story, and thanks for posting! 😊
jzinck (4 stories) (54 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-02-09)
Yea, very creapy story. It would be interesting to know if your ex co worker has had any more stories after he left that workplace. I bet the entity has something to do with your workplace though. How long have you been working at that site? I bet if you lisiten real quiet and patient while your there, that won't be the only thing you experience. Keep us posted:)
lynrinth (guest)
 
13 years ago (2011-02-09)
As much as you would love to have a paranormal experience, at time they can be exhilarating, and then be downrignt terrifying. As with this incident, I would heck starting praying that would never happen again! Hopefully for you, it won't. Thanks for a fun story.
510mot (3 stories) (262 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-02-09)
thanks,as excited as I was initially the tone of the spirit did creep me out in the end. I still work there and have heard from a co-worker that he had something similar happen to him. He decided to hang up the phone before the fireworks started.Can't say I blame him.
troyarn (5 stories) (479 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-02-09)
Excellent story, 510mot! I'm not sure to what to make of these incidents but I doubt it was something with the connections since you were at a different post. Eerie phone stories are a favorite of mine and I have to say this one was one of the creepiest. Thanks very much for sharing and I hope to read any more tales you might have.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: